Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Skins

Topic: Why does all skins have the same style?

Dieses Thema ist veraltet und kann veraltete oder falsche Informationen enthalten.

What I dont understand, why are skins showing the controller? You got your controller in front of you, there is no need to show additionally jog's, knobs, buttons, faders etc.

I am looking for a more informative skin, which shows important things like bigger waveforms, BPM, elapsed and remaining time, Filename, tag's etc. Earlier I used Traktor and in Traktor it was possible to change the screen in the menu.

Can anyone tell me which 4 deck skin can be used in VDJ to have something similar?

Here is a screenshot of, I think, the very best digital DJ'ing screen ever

http://fs5.directupload.net/images/160329/ql2xfamg.jpg

geposted Tue 29 Mar 16 @ 7:15 pm
I don't think you've had a good look through the available skins....

They certainly don't all have the same style. Some are specifically designed for use with a controller, and don't duplicate controller hardware.

I agree with you about skins that look like controllers - but they are very popular. I get the impression that some people think it's necessary for the skin to match the controller.

Obviously as an unlicensed user, the selection of skins available to you (for download) will be limited - but what you desire does exist.

geposted Tue 29 Mar 16 @ 8:17 pm
Even when you have the controller in front of you, SOME elements are mandatory to have on screen.
First of all, all controllers have play/pause / cue buttons, right ? However I would never use a skin without those buttons on skin, for the very simple reason that you don't always use your controller. E.G. you are at home fixing new tracks, categorizing them, setting cues, e.t.c.
You would either have to get your controller out of it's cofin / box / flight case, or switch to another skin.
Also some other elements (like pitch sliders) are mandatory when you mix live... Even when you see that current pitch is +4.3% you just can't estimate the correct position you need to move the pitch slider to "link" the software with the hardware.

To be honest, most popular skins created for VirtualDj 8 use a "controller-like logic" but they are not based on actual controller photos as it was in the past.
This way you have all the info available on screen, but you also have lots of wasted space earned to be used by the browser or other stuff.

VirtualDj 8 has a lot of power tools that once you start to use them a "simple" / "minimalistic" skin just won't cut it.
Take effects for example. With the power of VDJ Script and custom buttons you can do a lot of magic things. However this means that most of the time the actual effect knobs on your controller will NOT match their position/values on the software.
You "have" to use a skin that shows that info on screen if you want to really take advantage of VDJ Script.

So, to answer your question, most skins have a "controller-logic" to ease the use of the software with or without a controller connected.

Personally I'm creating skins for VirtualDj since 2007. What I never liked was the skins that were created by using photos of the actual gear, because they wasted too much space. However, I always believed that it's mandatory to be able to see the software status with a quick glance at your screen.

geposted Thu 31 Mar 16 @ 12:57 pm

(Alte Themen und Foren werden automatisch geschlossen)