Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: [NOTE] Spotify integration in VirtualDJ (Update pr Sept. 2017) - Page: 1

Dieser Teil des Themas ist veraltet und kann veraltete oder falsche Informationen enthalten

2017-09-08 Update:
Following the inquiry of a major label into the use of Spotify in Pro DJ applications like VirtualDJ, Spotify access has been temporarily removed from VDJ 8. We are in discussions with the concerned parties in order to restore and improve the service but currently no ETA can be provided.

iDJPool, KaraokeCloud, VJPro, Deezer, and Pulselocker are still available as content providers.

geposted Fri 14 Apr 17 @ 12:40 pm
Would be great if the Spotify song load time was faster too.

geposted Fri 14 Apr 17 @ 8:29 pm
Hi sorry if this is a daft question but do we need a premium account to use spotify with vdj thanks

geposted Fri 14 Apr 17 @ 8:32 pm
Follow the link provided in the opening post, and read the first paragraph...

geposted Fri 14 Apr 17 @ 8:38 pm
Support staff wrote :
We are working closely with Spotify to try to find a solution for DJs that would be 100% legal and respect the license terms.

Does that mean we can also expect Spotify to be legal for dj use in the near future? So we can play Spotify tracks in public legally? That would be perfect!

geposted Fri 14 Apr 17 @ 9:03 pm

geposted Sat 15 Apr 17 @ 1:15 pm
jabo65PRO InfinityMember since 2014
It's not illegal to use spotify, it may be against their TOS, but it is no more illegal than playing a CD or a track from Amazon. I'm not condoning doing this, but it is not illegal.

geposted Sun 16 Apr 17 @ 5:35 pm
jabo65 wrote :
it is no more illegal than playing a CD

Actually, there's a difference. The copyright notice on CDs and vinyl state that it's illegal to do X, Y or Z without authorisation.

That means it's OK to play the music in a venue which holds a license for public performance - the authorisation part.

On the other hand, the Spotify T&Cs simply state that the service is only for " personal, non-commercial" use. Nothing about authorisation. They simply do not allow it. There's no "unless" involved.

geposted Sun 16 Apr 17 @ 5:49 pm
Also, Spotify do offer a separate tariff for business users - called Spotify Business / Soundtrack Business.

Clearly there would be no need for this more expensive (£35 per month) service if it was legal to use the normal "consumer grade" service.

geposted Sun 16 Apr 17 @ 7:01 pm
locodogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
The business edition doesn't work in the dj sphere.
No searching by track, I see it as more a promo service for the mainstream.

geposted Sun 16 Apr 17 @ 8:10 pm
Yeah, it's odd. I was looking into it today.

The service for the Nordic countries (Spotify Business) allows users to run the normal Spotify app as well as the specific business one, and yet the alternative service for non Nordic countries (Soundtrack Business) doesn't - you can only use the business app, which presumably rules out access via VDJ.

geposted Sun 16 Apr 17 @ 9:01 pm
It only takes a few clicks to read their terms and conditions here. I don't see where you are allowed to use Spotify in a club with DJPro, or did I miss something? Plus, my only concern is how to use with Virtual DJ, not some other software.

geposted Mon 17 Apr 17 @ 2:47 am
tleclaire wrote :
How is allgoriddim dealing with this since they claim to have full Spotify support in djPRO?
https://www.algoriddim.com/djay-pro-windows

And why is a Spotify track loading super fast in djPRO (although on my iPhone app). Deezer is amazing fast too in VDJ. I prefer Spotify because that is most commonly used over here and customers/visitors always head up their telephone when asking music to play. And before the party people can share there playlists with me, this way I don't have to make a new playlist for wedding couple A, etc.

geposted Mon 17 Apr 17 @ 8:38 am
djdimi.nl wrote :
tleclaire wrote :
How is allgoriddim dealing with this since they claim to have full Spotify support in djPRO?
https://www.algoriddim.com/djay-pro-windows

And why is a Spotify track loading super fast in djPRO (although on my iPhone app). Deezer is amazing fast too in VDJ. I prefer Spotify because that is most commonly used over here and customers/visitors always head up their telephone when asking music to play. And before the party people can share there playlists with me, this way I don't have to make a new playlist for wedding couple A, etc.

My guess is that the answer is the same for both questions: Algoriddim/djPRO probably isn't using the regular way to talk to Spotify (the standard interface).
But I don't think anybody knows if Spotify let them do it, or if they have found a loophole - at least I haven't found info about this yet

geposted Mon 17 Apr 17 @ 12:14 pm
I find it perfect just the way it is. I rarely use Spotify while DJING and if I do, I load it into like..Deck 4 and and plan to play it 3 to 4 songs out from where Im at so load time isnt an issue for me.. Sounds just as good on a big system as my pro pool tracks and just works great. In that .2% time I missed a track from my pool... SPOTIFY.. and now that its built into VDJ8.. is amazing! I have a Spotify premium account for years and always had it ready to go on another computer for the rare songs that I missed and REALLY wanted to play..but now.. I can match them and everything as if I have the track.. I then go back later to download that track from my pool or buy it on iTunes or something.. For private gigs like weddings and such... its also a life saver.. AWESOME addition to VDJ8 To me... this is how you should be using it.. not relying on it as your main source as a DJ

geposted Wed 19 Apr 17 @ 12:53 pm
Just started the 30-day trial from Spotify to look into this.

-/- loading time is horrible indeed
-/- song has to stick in your deck, because loading again (for example from sidelist) means downloading again (with the horrible loading time)

+/- Loading max 2 simultaneously is not the worst case scenario (I would only use it for song requests I don't have)

+/+ Spotify has almost every Dutch song I searched for. Even a bunch of local singers!
This is until now the best allround database I have seen so far...

But, still I'm going to cancel my subscription before they charge me. My song on deck 1 is already ended before Spotify finished loading on deck 2 ;)

Ps: Pre-listen a song is not an (playing live) option because of the waiting and loading time if you ask me..

geposted Sun 23 Apr 17 @ 12:47 pm
royvanmeel wrote :
Just started the 30-day trial from Spotify to look into this.

-/- loading time is horrible indeed
-/- song has to stick in your deck, because loading again (for example from sidelist) means downloading again (with the horrible loading time)

+/- Loading max 2 simultaneously is not the worst case scenario (I would only use it for song requests I don't have)

+/+ Spotify has almost every Dutch song I searched for. Even a bunch of local singers!
This is until now the best allround database I have seen so far...

But, still I'm going to cancel my subscription before they charge me. My song on deck 1 is already ended before Spotify finished loading on deck 2 ;)

Ps: Pre-listen a song is not an (playing live) option because of the waiting and loading time if you ask me..

If you want faster downloads try Deezer. That also has a trial period

geposted Mon 24 Apr 17 @ 11:11 am
Agreed, Deezer is much faster, you can play as many songs as you like simultaniously and as far as I tried it until now, it's collection is just as good as Spotify (also with Dutch songs).

geposted Mon 24 Apr 17 @ 12:32 pm
AsTheDJPRO InfinityMember since 2008
Locks up now and No music or sound .

geposted Tue 09 May 17 @ 8:37 pm
BlueTopHome userMember since 2014
Feature Request: Spotify Playlist on Unlimited Content Video.

Please create an option to search the video of a playlist imported from Spotify to VirtualDJ and save that video playlist within VirtualDJ.

geposted Wed 10 May 17 @ 10:10 am
25%