Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: Home and Work

Dieses Thema ist veraltet und kann veraltete oder falsche Informationen enthalten.

I have a PC built into the rig I take to gigs, it has it's own hard drive and runs VDJ8, the hard drive stores all of my music, video etc. At home I use another PC to make new videos and rip songs etc. I can copy all of the new stuff to a memory stick and bring it with me to the next gig, copying the files to the hard drive in my gig rig. However, I would also like to sync any new virtual folders, sample locations that I make on the home PC.

How can I do this? I could use a sync tool like Sync Toy but what files do I need to sync? It would be great if there was a way to just have a portable hard drive with all the media on it and settings so whatever computer I connected it to with VDJ8 it would just have all of my settings, but I dont think that is possible, unless the settings can be relocated from their default location on the C: drive?

geposted Tue 14 Nov 17 @ 4:08 pm
Everything is stored in the documents>virtualdj folder

I found synctoy to be unreliable so use robomirror to sync to an external hard drive between machines and it's faultless.

You can also exclude specific files like licence.dat (which is machine specific) or settings.xml if both laptops have different configs etc.

Everyone requires a different scenario however it's perfectly possible to do and works well once set up correctly.

geposted Tue 14 Nov 17 @ 4:51 pm
Thank you very much I will have a go at setting this up.
Regards
Ron

geposted Tue 14 Nov 17 @ 11:09 pm
Hi kradcliffe

I bought a new portable drive and have partitioned it the way I like, I also downloaded robomirror and had a play with it. Just wondering what your process is? This is how I am thinking to work, is that the best way.

To start off the process..
I install robomirror on the home and work machines
On Work Machine Set up a backup task of VDJ settings from Work Machine to Portable Drive
On Home Machine Set up a backup task of VDJ settings from Portable Drive to Work Machine
1 - First step I connect the drive to the Work System and backup the work system to the portable drive.... then

2 - Connect the portable drive to my home system and backup from portable drive to home machine

Then I work on my home system making changes new samples files etc
3 - Set up another backup task from home machine to portable drive and run it.
Move the drive to the work system
4 - Set up another backup task from portable drive to the work machine and run it.

Repeat steps 1 - 4 (without the need to create the task) when moving the drive between machines
The only files that I need to move from machine to machine are the VDJ Settings Folder as all of the media will be on the same drive.

I'm wondering if I use the restore button on robomirror instead of having two tasks on each machine this will work, but I can't get my head around it. I can see me accidentaly running the wrong task at some point and copying in the wrong direction.

Any advise will be welcome :-)

geposted Thu 16 Nov 17 @ 12:46 pm
Yes, restore will basically "reverse" the task. Personally I create separate tasks for each machine but there is no hard and fast way. Whatever suits you best .....

geposted Thu 16 Nov 17 @ 1:08 pm
Thanks for this I investigated some other options today and found another tool called FreeFlieSync which I think might be better for me, it allows you to create a batch file with a shortcut link, then all you do is double click it and it syncs the relative follers you have set up, this means once I have a copy of the work machine settings I just need to use the drive on any machine and double click the shortcut, this will then transfer all my settings to the new machine. When I'm done on the home machine before a gig I just do the same and I know when I get to the gig I can update the work system in the same way without missing any changes.

Thanks for your help with pointing me in the right direction for what I needed to do.

Regards
Ron

geposted Thu 16 Nov 17 @ 7:17 pm

(Alte Themen und Foren werden automatisch geschlossen)