Forum: General Discussion

About VirtualDJ and DJing in general

If you need extended support, contact our Support Team.
Forum Guidelines  (*) The moderators hold the rights to move or modify posts in order to keep the discussions clear or to facilitate the search.
Topic: How to program a knob?
Hi, anybody knows how to program a knob of a consolle? I've seen a lot of tutorials on YT that teach how to program a button and if you press it, it toggles on/off a selected effect. But if I want to program a knob? I want that when i turn knob left strenght effect slider decreases, and when i turn knob right strenght effect slider increases..
Sorry for my bad english..

geposted Sat 19 May 18 @ 10:12 am
locodogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
Are you talking about a custom dial (knob) (the ones on vdj display) or a dial on a controller?

either way it is very much like a button but the script you want is

effect_slider "FX name" 1

you can change fx name to any effect or you could use a fx slot number in it's place.
So

effect_slider 2 3
This will effect the second fx slot the third slider.

geposted Sat 19 May 18 @ 10:40 am
I tried but it didn't work..
I'm talking about a knob on a physical controller. I would change strenght of the active effect rotating it. I didn't want to select the effect rotating the knob, I just want to modify the strenght rotating it..But only when an effect is active, not a specifica effect, a effects in general

My idea is to assign to every physical button I have an effect and then when I active one pressing on a button I would modify the strenght of it rotating the knob

geposted Sat 19 May 18 @ 11:09 am
Ok you are taking me very literal, try this

effect_slider

geposted Sat 19 May 18 @ 11:19 am
I tried this
var '$djcontrol' 1 ? deck effect_slider 0% : var '$djcontrol' 0 ? deck effect_slider-2%: deck effect_slider+2%
but nothing

geposted Sat 19 May 18 @ 11:43 am
Where did you get that from ?

When you use

effect_slider

Doest slider 1 on fx slot 1 move?

geposted Sat 19 May 18 @ 3:05 pm
I didn't find anywhere the code I posted, I tried to make it for my own haha
When I put only effect_slider 1 and I rotate the knob on my physical controller probably I hear something different but I'm not sure, but on the screen the knob doesn't rotate

geposted Sat 19 May 18 @ 3:34 pm
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
Which controller is that ?
Is this a knob with physical start and end points or an endless encoder ?
Keep in mind that without a Pro license, you will not be able to use custom definitions or Simple Midi mapping for unsupported controllers

geposted Sun 20 May 18 @ 9:36 pm
I think djcontrol is an android app.

geposted Sun 20 May 18 @ 10:55 pm
It's a Hercules Dj Control Steel
The original code for the knob I want to change into is this: var '$djcontrol' 1 ? deck right djc_button_slider 1 : var '$djcontrol' 0 ? deck left djc_button_slider 1 : deck master effect_slider 1
I know many features are available only on pro version, but I can try the full version for 10 minutes until it stops and I'm deciding if I wanna buy or not, obviously if something doesn't work I'll don't buy Virtual DJ (it doesn't make sense) and I'll keep the original program of the controller (traktor) I have already

When I rotate the knob, the virtual knob on the screen doesn't rotate

geposted Mon 21 May 18 @ 8:46 am
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005

geposted Mon 21 May 18 @ 12:58 pm