Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Just a thot here but....

Dieses Thema ist veraltet und kann veraltete oder falsche Informationen enthalten.

Any plans from the VDJ developers on actually building a mixer with this software incorporated into it?

It would solve all the problems of being able to use vinyl, cd's or mp3 and would open your sales demographics up huge.

I realize that buffering the song is the biggest problem in this scenario, but a mixer with this software would be kickin'...

i would be willing to work on the circuitry if you ever want to pursue this idea.

Regards,
The Colonel

geposted Sat 25 Oct 03 @ 9:04 pm

geposted Sat 25 Oct 03 @ 9:59 pm
sort of....but what im talking about is a totally self contained unit.....no need for an external computer

im talking about a mixer with an onboard hard drive and an OS (preferably Linux, or even cooler, proprietary) that would run the software inside the mixer, with a visual display of the beats also built in to the mixer. the rest of the functions all midi-mapped to keys onboard the mixer, much like the hardware controller you have planned....

that way a dj could use vinyl if he wanted (or CD's/mp3), but would still have all the cool functions that VDJ provides, most cool being the visual cue for beat matching.

there really shouldn't be any reason someone couldnt do this, and i was thinking about it, buffering shouldnt be an issue.....even cheap cd walkmans have 30 second anti-skip buffers now....and 30 seconds worth of buffered song is more than enough to beat match, loop, whatever.

with the controllers as they are, you need a laptop (which are unreliable at the best of times) and if you want to use vinyl, you're outta luck unless you wanna set up that goofy looking e-scratch thing or attempt to calibrate a web cam at 2:58 am when you have to mix out of the last guys set for your own time slot....seriously, neither option is realistic at any of the parties i have ever played at.

but a mixer with VDJ built into it.....now that would be the stuff. every dj in the world would at least try it, im telling you it's the way to go with this software. it would beat the hell outta Traktor that's for sure.

just saying think about it, if you would like to try something, i am offering my services in the engineering and circuit board dept.

-The Colonel

geposted Sun 26 Oct 03 @ 10:36 pm
so no possibles? a maybe? or even a no frickin' way? :D

geposted Wed 29 Oct 03 @ 4:29 pm
They do make something like that it is located here.

www.dj-box.com

It is really nothing more than a smart jukebox.
But it has some of the fatures you mentioned. but without the fun of actual DJing.

Regards;

Redman247

geposted Wed 29 Oct 03 @ 4:56 pm
Thanks but unfortunately i can't read French...

And if it doesn't allow you to dj, then it isn't what i'm talking about at all..

I'm a vinyl dj and have been at it since the early 90's...i recently started looking at all the new software coming out that allows you to manipulate/dj with digital files. I have seen Final Scratch and it looks good but there are a few things about it i don't like. The same with VDJ. It has many promising features but could be even better if....you know what i mean?

VDJ would be the hands down winner if it was built into a mixer that i can use with my turntables, without the need of an external computer or controller. Just a straight digital mixer with a dedicated processor, hard drive & OS, running a "version" of VDJ internally, with a mimi-monitor built into the top of the mixer (much like the layout of VDJ software on your screen) that you could use to visually beat match and loop buffered music from the turntables.

in fact yeah, it would basically be a hands-on hardware version of what the software looks like on your screen....only without the "turntables". You would instead use it to mix external digital turntable input.....sigh....

I guess no one here gets what i'm trying to say, but guaranteed someday it'll come out on the market and i'll be like hey i thot of that 3 years ago!

-The Colonel

geposted Wed 29 Oct 03 @ 6:52 pm
Ever heard of a laptop ?

geposted Thu 30 Oct 03 @ 7:44 am
too funny.

i'm guessing by your answer you don't have any experience dj'ing with vinyl.

while they're novel in an "huh...isn't that interesting..." kinda way, laptops suck to dj with.

until Traktor/Final Scratch/VDJ tchnology is built into a mixer, it will remain a novelty with most dj's.

-The Colonel

geposted Fri 31 Oct 03 @ 7:28 pm
DJ RickPRO InfinityMember since 2003
I've been DJing 4 nights a week for the past 2 1/2 years with a laptop...
I don't think it sucks at all....
And before that several years with CD's, and before that many years with Vinyl.

geposted Fri 31 Oct 03 @ 7:57 pm
mp3jrickPRO InfinityHonorary MemberMember since 2003
HUH?
Laptops what?
HMMMMMM.
My guess is your on a rack then, because a desktop ain't worth the greif to haul around.
My next one will be rackmounted, but I'm a little concerned about weight.
Why do laptops suck?
Rick

geposted Sat 01 Nov 03 @ 1:21 pm

(Alte Themen und Foren werden automatisch geschlossen)