Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: Cant add new POI in POI editor

Dieses Thema ist veraltet und kann veraltete oder falsche Informationen enthalten.

ScooxHome userMember since 2018
[EDIT: I can't seem to edit the thread title, it really should be "POI editor user feedback and suggestions". I eventually figured out how to add a new POI]

Hi, first post here and new to VirtualDJ here, currently an keen Traktor user looking for better mapping capabilities and very impressed by VDJ.

I'm demoing the software and I'm a bit stuck with the POI editor. Looking at the help here: https://www.virtualdj.com/manuals/virtualdj/editors/poieditor.html

Things I don't understand:

1. Selecting a POI in the list on the left moves the playhead to the POI position if not playing, but if playing the playhead doesn't jump to the POI position.
2. Respositioning playhead is too fiddly. You need to drag it to move it. In Traktor this is much more intuitive because in the lower waveform display the playhead is always fixed in the centre, then you zoom in and out and drag the waveform to position it relative to the fixed playhead. This way you don't need to aim for a 1-pixel wide playhead, rather you can click and drag anywhere on the waveform display. In Traktor, the lower waveform moves horizontally to represent playback (instead of the playhead moving).
3. Single-click on the lower waveform does nothing, which is a waste. Then again, double-click on the lower waveform positions the playhead (which is great) but also starts playback (not so great!!). This is is not very convenient if you are just trying to reposition the playhead. There is already a dedicated Play button, if I need to play I would click that button. If I'm already zoomed in and the playhead is not in view, I need to drag it "into view" in the top waveform, which is very fiddly because the green line is too thin to grab easily (ergonomics problem here). Instead, the single click in the lower waveform could position the playhead, and the double click could position+play.
4. Single click in the upper waveform and double click do the same thing, it would be nicer if the double-click could be used to not only scroll but also reposition the playhead.
5. Mouse pointer cursor doesn't change when hovered over playhead in lower waveform, it took me quite a while to figure out it was actually possible to move the playhead due to lack of GUI feedback. In the upper waveform it does change, which is good.
6. No GUI control tooltips on POI editor. Would also be nice to have like an in
7. Mouse pointer doesn't change when dragging the playhead (although this wouldn't matter if this worked like in Traktor, as described previously)
8. When the POI is playing, if I select a "saved loop" POI it will play that loop forever. If I double-click the lower waveform to manually jump to another location in the track, the loop still continues to play and I can't exit the loop unless I select another POI. If the saved loop is the only POI in the list, then there is no way to get out of the loop.
9. Deleting a POI automatically jumps the playhead to the POI above the deleted POI in the list (or the one below it if the deleted POI was already at the top of the list), in my opinion the playhead should simply continue playing from where it was.
10. Delete POI confirmation is annoying, would be nice if it there was an option to not show it.
11. Only the currently selected POI can be moved by dragging in the waveform. The way people interact with devices in 2018 doesn't require users to first select the drag, objects can be dragged directly. This is counter-intuitive.
12. When a POI is selected, the playhead moves to the position of the POI. Then if I try the drag just the POI, the playhead follows, or if I try to move just the playhead, the POI follows. They are stuck together. POI could be dragged by the handle at the bottom and playhead by the middle. Of course, this wouldn't be a problem if it worked like in Traktor with a fixed playhead in the middle, then all that would be needed is 1) position the waveform where you want it relative to the playhead, and 2) click of the "Snap to position" button.
13. It would be nice to have an "Add new" button next to the "Delete" button
14. It would be nice to have a button right in the POI editor to quickly recreate the default POIs which are automatically created by VDJ when a track is first analyzed.
15. POI types confusing to the newcomer, would be nice to have explanations directly from within the GUI because it's easy to forget what each POI type does until you've used the POI editor for a while.
16. "Option boxes > Show All - When checked, will display all POIs (including VirtualDJ created) of the track." This description in the help is rather unhelpful. It should read "When checked, all POI types will be displayed, when unchecked, only Hot Cue, Saved Loop and Action POI types will be shown"

I'm sure there are more. The POI editor is an incredible feature and the mapping capabilities, not to mention the ability to run macros upon reaching a POI, are simply amazing. In terms of functionality it makes Traktor look like a toy. But I'm finding the UI and UX inconsistent in certain areas, so I hope the above feedback helps improve the software, thanks!

geposted Wed 14 Nov 18 @ 2:51 am

(Alte Themen und Foren werden automatisch geschlossen)