Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: equalizerMidFrequency value has no perceivable effect

Dieses Thema ist veraltet und kann veraltete oder falsche Informationen enthalten.

ScooxHome userMember since 2018
If I change the value of equalizerMidFrequency in the options, it doesn't seem to affect the sonic quality of the Mid EQ knob, can you guys confirm? Sorry to be posting so much, but I'm really liking the software!

geposted Wed 14 Nov 18 @ 8:11 am
Eq behavior is controlled by another option:
EqMode
This option can either be "Default" or "Full Kill"
If "Full Kill" is enabled, the frequencies in the settings does not matter.
If "Default" is selected then the frequencies in settings set the "frequency in the center" of each of the EQ knobs. Unless you change these values drastically, you should not expect big sonic changes as their purpose is fine-tuning the EQ (in other words they don't affect the cut-off frequencies or the band limits)

geposted Wed 14 Nov 18 @ 8:25 am
@PhantonDeejay

Mmmm that doesn't make sense. The info bar at the bottom of the Options window says: "Set the central frequency used by the Mid equalizer". Whether the EQ is full-kill or not has nothing to do with the eq band central frequency. Full-kill means a gain equal to -ꝏ. Anyone who's used a parametric EQ plugin knows gain and band frequency are independent parameters.

However, for some reason in VDJ if I set equalizerMode = Full Kill, the equalizerMidFrequency does have an effect, if I set equalizerMode = Default, then it has no effect. Logically it makes no sense.

Plus, in such a simple 3-band eq with no resonance I suppose we could get rid of the equalizerMidFrequency parameter—setting the Lo and Hi frequencies would be sufficient, while the Mid would simply be whatever range is left in between the Lo and Hi ranges.

There is another two problems I've just noticed:

1. It seems anything about 10kHz makes absolutely no difference. For example, if I turn the Lo and Mid eq knobs all the way down (full-kill mode) and set the Hi know to its centre position, then setting equalizerHighFrequency = 10000 sounds the exact same as equalizerHighFrequency = 15000.

2. If I set equalizerHighFrequency = 15000 (basically a high value) and then I tweak the Hi knob in the mixer, I hear all kinds of glitches in the audio, please check this one!

geposted Wed 14 Nov 18 @ 9:18 am
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
Scoox wrote :
Mmmm that doesn't make sense. The info bar at the bottom of the Options window says: "Set the central frequency used by the Mid equalizer". Whether the EQ is full-kill or not has nothing to do with the eq band central frequency. Full-kill means a gain equal to -ꝏ. Anyone who's used a parametric EQ plugin knows gain and band frequency are independent parameters.

Full-Kill means that when low, mid and high are all completely down, no sound comes through.
The only way this can be true is if mid is exactly the range between low and high, which is why selecting a frequency for mid does not make sense in that case.

geposted Wed 14 Nov 18 @ 9:28 am
Scoox wrote :
It seems anything about 10kHz makes absolutely no difference

But how are you listening - what equipment is the audio playing through?

If your speakers (for example) don't extend beyong 10kHz then you won't hear any difference because those frequencies are not reaching your ears.

On the subject of ears, it could also be that your hearing drops off above 10kHz, so you're simply not hearing the signal when it's at 15kHz.

It could also be that the audio files you're playing don't contain much sound at 10-15kHz. What format are they? Where are they from? Are they compressed?

Before blaming VDJ, you should do some tests using sine waves to determine if your equipment and ears are capable of those frequencies.

geposted Wed 14 Nov 18 @ 5:41 pm
OK so I'm back home now and I was testing this with just a laptop. I've just tested through my RME Babyface Pro.

@Adion, what you say about the equalizerMidFrequency being ignored with full kill enabled makes sense. So that's good.

I can confirm the equalizerLowFrequency and equalizerHighFrequency parameters DO have an effect even at values around 20 kHz I can hear the difference. It's a bit more obvious when listening through good converters and headphones/monitors. However, I still can't get it to work how I want it to. My goal is to recreate Traktor's EQ Type "Z ISO". After setting equalizerMode = Full Kill, equalizerLowFrequency = 50 and equalizerFrequencyHigh = 17000, a similar EQ response is achieved for the Low and High frequencies, but the Mid frequency band (which as Adion explained are "whatever is left" between the Low and High bands) contains too much low end and too much high end! In otherwords, with these settings, if I turn the Low and High knobs all the way down, and leave the Mid centred, it's almost as if all three knobs were centred. Try it for yourself. In Traktor, when only the Low and High knobs are all the way down and the Mid is centred, you get that "telephone" sound effect. I can't reproduce this in VDJ. If you guys have a copy of Traktor on your machines, perhaps you could try to find any combination of settings that can emulate Traktor's "Z ISO" EQ.

Another issue is that if I turn the Mids and Highs all the way down and only let Low through, I can still hear some mids and some highs. The "Z ISO" EQ model in Trakor has a much steeper roll-off and completely cuts out the other bands. I suppose this is just the way EQ happens to work in VDJ. Personally, I prefer the way Traktor works here.

Finally, one more thing, with the settings described above (equalizerMode = Full Kill, equalizerLowFrequency = 50 and equalizerFrequencyHigh = 17000), if I turn all EQ knobs down for a deck and then tweak either the Low or the High knob very rapidly, up and down, I can hear artefacts (again using the Babyface Pro), especially when tweaking the High. I've tested buffer sizes from 64 to 1024 samples but that made no difference.

geposted Fri 16 Nov 18 @ 1:30 pm
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
Sounds unlikely that Traktor's eq would be at 17khz, that would indeed be almost no difference.
Perhaps using lp and hp filter effects would give you more control for what you want?

geposted Fri 16 Nov 18 @ 1:43 pm
My Equalizer Frequency are:
Low : 100
Mid : 1350
High : 15000
Thats the best I think ;-)

geposted Fri 16 Nov 18 @ 10:58 pm
@djdutchsi I've just tried your settings:

Low: 100
Mid: 1350
High: 15000

With these settings, the effect on the sound of the High EQ is almost negligible. If you turn the High and Low all the way down and just leave the Mids, listen to any track for a few seconds an you quickly get used to it. Try these settings:

(full kill)
Low: 500
Mid: -- doesn't matter--
High: 5000

I thin Traktor's Z-ISO EQ model is different from whatever VDJ uses. I'm sure I'll get used to VDJ's EQ. The above settings seem to work OK.

geposted Sat 17 Nov 18 @ 10:49 am

(Alte Themen und Foren werden automatisch geschlossen)