Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Will DVS Improve With Each Update?

Dieses Thema ist veraltet und kann veraltete oder falsche Informationen enthalten.

With the recent announcement of new Technics and Reloop turntables at CES hitting the news and with rumors that even more TT's will be announced at NAMM, will VDJ start to put in more work to make DVS even stronger and better with future updates? The last time there was any type of major update was when V8 was first announced and you guys promoted the all new DVS engine. I know you guys never discuss what's on the software roadmaps and upcoming releases and your main priority to resolve bugs before new features, but since there will be even more people using DVS technology in the coming months with the new products hitting the market, I hope you guys at least put in the idea of making DVS even better. You have the Rane 12's, new Phase (if it ever ships), new Tech's, new Reloops, the S9, Rane 72, the new Reloop Elite...all gear designed to be used for or as DVS functionality.

Yes, DVS in VDJ is good, but can it be better...absolutely. There's always room for improvement, especially since Serato is pretty much the industry leader when it comes to DVS. Rekordbox is gaining a lot of traction too with their DVS funtionality. I would have loved to see the new Reloop RP8000 MK2's be a VDJ approved product and not Serato and I would beyond ecstatic if we saw some DJ's using VDJ at a Redbull 3style or DMC championship. But sadly, all you'll ever see at them is either Serato or Traktor.

I guess maybe this should have went into the request forum, but there are a lot of us hardcore vinyl and DVS lovers that use VDJ religiously and would enjoy seeing some improvements with new releases, especially now that the market is going to have a lot of new DVS toys hitting the shelves. I'm just saying...think it over. lol

geposted Wed 09 Jan 19 @ 1:20 pm
Maybe people will use these decks as actual turntables?

I always saw DVS as a half way house between analogue and digital DJing but now with all the midi controllers available it doesn't make sense any more. I know there are a small percentage of people who use them to scratch and a few more hipster DJs because they "look cool" but that's still a very small number of VDJ users.

This kind of topic comes up every now and again, but plainly Atomix don't think there's anything wrong with their timecode offering so why would they improve it?

geposted Wed 09 Jan 19 @ 1:33 pm
kradcliffe wrote :
a half way house between analogue and digital DJing

Exactly. It was a fix for an issue at the time (DJ software was new out, but there were very few controllers).

DJs - many of whom were still using turntables at that time - wanted a way to use (control) DJ software.

Once controllers started multiplying and having reasonably sized jog wheels, DVS was no longer needed (for the vast majority).

visionz5 wrote :
since there will be even more people using DVS technology in the coming months

Really? Why - just because Technics are back? New turntables are regularly released. We don't see loads of new DVS users on the forum every time a new one comes out!

geposted Wed 09 Jan 19 @ 5:54 pm
If your going to buy a brand new Hi tech turntable or even invest in a classic sl1200- use it for what it was built for - playing glorious analogue records!

Stick a Stanton 500 on the tonearm and plug it into your mixer. Dig out your old 12 white labels and play play play

For me i don't see the point in dvs, why try and emulate a turntable with a digital track , I'd your tracks digital there are so many great digital controllers out there

Ok top back on the wine

geposted Wed 09 Jan 19 @ 7:24 pm
groovindj wrote :

Really? Why - just because Technics are back? New turntables are regularly released. We don't see loads of new DVS users on the forum every time a new one comes out!

Because they go to Serato or Rekordbox :P

I guess some guys don't really get it. This isnt geared towards the wedding jock that goes out with a controller every weekend. The ones who are all about DVS, are turntablists and scratch artists who use TT's are the ones that this matters most to. Sure, a majority of DJ's use controllers now but there's still a large percentage of DJ's who are turntablists or use CDJ's with time code. If you don't believe that, just look at how many people enter the competitions I mentioned each year. Hell, all one has to do is look at the hashtag #PlayWithMusic on youtube and you'll find THOUSANDS of guys who use TT's. Most clubs still have the industry standard Tech's and CDJ's in their booths too. I get the whole "If it works, it works" but there's always room for improvements and having tighter control of TC/DVS functionality.

geposted Thu 10 Jan 19 @ 1:18 pm
Bro I totally understand where your coming from but in this forum you’ll get nothing But hate and condescending answers from people like Groovin and a few others.

And yes VDJ has come a long way when it comes to time codes or control vinyl but I agree there’s always room for improvement.

And as much as I like VDJ if I know I’ll be playing at a club that has turntables more than likely I’m going to use Serato/SDJ and Mix Emergency.

So my advice is if you using controllers or CDJ’s in midi mode VDJ is the way to go but if using turntables I highly recommend Serato/SDJ and Mix Emergency.

geposted Thu 10 Jan 19 @ 1:40 pm
Just for purposes of background information, I was one of the very first DJs who entered a new competition years ago - run by DMC.

My nickname back then? Scratcher. I still have four Technics decks and all my vinyl.

I also used to go to the DMC conventions, and saw such things as the famous DJ Cheese routine live & in person.

I'm not a turntablist, but I do know the history. I was there.

geposted Thu 10 Jan 19 @ 5:35 pm
And that relates to improving timecodes how again??

Ill wait........

geposted Thu 10 Jan 19 @ 5:46 pm
I was responding to the "some guys don't get it" comment. I still stand by what I (and Keith) said about why/how DVS came about.

geposted Thu 10 Jan 19 @ 6:19 pm
Irrespective of anything else, what actually needs improved?

I'm sure Adion has asked this in the past.

geposted Thu 10 Jan 19 @ 6:56 pm
Improved pitch response (there is a delay in sound)

More options to adjust for loud or bassy environments

Get it even tighter (for slow drags)

geposted Fri 11 Jan 19 @ 6:17 pm
the SOUND INSURGENT wrote :
Improved pitch response (there is a delay in sound)

More options to adjust for loud or bassy environments

Get it even tighter (for slow drags)

All of this! And sticker drift still happens on occasion, even with all the proper settings in check.

geposted Mon 14 Jan 19 @ 1:25 pm

geposted Mon 14 Jan 19 @ 10:00 pm
You guys are funny as ever. I just purchased VDJ today! 5/27/2020. I still use DVS. I'm never giving up DVS. I have 2 Technics 1200s and 2 Technics 1210s I use in different setups. Way back, I went from Vinyl straight to DVS, never used CDs.

Now how do I calibrate my MixVibes DVS, I see it the VDJ drop down list... . Don't let me down VDJ.

Serato sucks for me, I don't want DJ software writing to tag each time I play a selection. Seriously, I found any CD player or worst yet any controller to be inaccurate to "catch" beat or what they call beat mixing. I went through many CD players back in 2Ks and they all sucked, worst thing is the laser would burn out like a light bulb required replacement after a few years. When controllers came out, well keeping beat synced was even worst. Music today is metronome beat steady (kinda boring to mix, takes little effort). When you have changing tempo well that's different, back when it was acoustical instruments, the drummer lead the rhythm. Music could speed up or slow down anywhere during the song, you had intimately know your material.

geposted Wed 27 May 20 @ 5:41 am

(Alte Themen und Foren werden automatisch geschlossen)