Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Really odd speaker failure.

Dieses Thema ist veraltet und kann veraltete oder falsche Informationen enthalten.

locodogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
I've never seen a driver fail this way. I noticed one of my cabs wasn't putting bass out, some sound but no displacement. I whipped of the grill, gave it a push and there was no compliance....
I took out the driver and gave the coil a check with my ohm meter, all was well there 5.6 ohm. So I guessed maybe the coil and former had jumped out the gap [unlikely but I was running out of ideas], so sliced the dust cover and again nothing looks wrong.

So I'm swearing now, looks like I need a new driver but if I can figure out what's wrong I might get away with a recone. Hey well if it's broken lets go for it, I cut the cone. But the still the coil won't move... and then I see it the pole piece has moved and trapped the coil!

I had a hell of a time removing the top plate and the pole piece from the magnet, the glue had all but gone but it's still a big bit of ferrous attached to a big magnet.
I just can't fathom how something held that well by a magnet can move. Anyone else had this happen?... ever [ or am I just lucky?]

A bit of digging and I found a as new driver for 60 quid so it's no so bad.

geposted Wed 14 Aug 19 @ 5:22 pm
Peavey?

geposted Wed 14 Aug 19 @ 8:03 pm
Nah, Fane, but they are old [from back when it was fane/wharfedale,]
but I know what you mean about the black widows they can rub on the coil but that's an easy fix with their basket-cone combo. I've not had the pole slip with them.

geposted Wed 14 Aug 19 @ 8:44 pm
After some thinking time, I know what happened, I pushed the drivers past xmax and that was enough to de-seat the pole piece [quite a kick, I had a fight separating the pole from the magnet], a bit of an engineering fail to have the fixing holes (basket to magnet) under the spider, [as mediocre as black widows are, field replaceable baskets are bloody good idea]
Hey well, live&learn,

geposted Mon 19 Aug 19 @ 9:12 pm

(Alte Themen und Foren werden automatisch geschlossen)