Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Wishes and new features

Topic: Waveform in the Browser? - Page: 1

Dieser Teil des Themas ist veraltet und kann veraltete oder falsche Informationen enthalten

Hi!

Sometimes I'm playing short Gigs where I can't use my Laptop because of the short switching time.
Therefore I have to work with Rekordbox to get a few tracks on a stick and play with them.
The Browser inside Rekordbox shows the Waveform of the tracks and its Cuepoints...
I find this reeeeeeaaaaaally helpful, becuase you can instantly see which song is prepared and which not.

Is it possible to implement something like this in VDJ's Browser?

geposted Fri 16 Aug 19 @ 5:45 am
Is it really necessary for it to be a waveform?

I can only see this slowing VDJ down, because each track would need to have a waveform graphic saved somewhere, or need to be scanned live as it appeared in the browser window.

What if there was a new field/column in the browser, called 'cues' or 'cuepoints' that showed a number (how many cuepoints in the track)?

As VDJ can apparently use over 2 billion cue points per track, I suspect a small waveform graphic on a line of the browser would be too small :-)

geposted Sat 17 Aug 19 @ 7:05 am
A waveform would be really nice, but I see the point that this would slow down the software...

But there could be ways to get this working...
Starting from your idea, (which I also thought about, and would be at least a good solution in the first place), over to maybe a small 'screenshot' of the waveform comparable to the size of the cover-art.
It could be in a really low resolution since it is displayed very small and only schematically.
This could be placed in the tracklist or also maybe in the info splitpanel, or as element to be placed somewhere by the user (just like the cover).
I generally think it could work if it's done somehow similar to the cover. A very low resolution / bit / datasize is neccessary indeed... But since the cover works great, I think there is a way for a waveform, which o find more useful in most cases.

What do you think about?

geposted Thu 22 Aug 19 @ 12:27 pm
A snapshot of the waveform save as a tag could work

geposted Thu 22 Aug 19 @ 2:58 pm
Very low resolution is OK when your browser text is small, and you're using the list view - but what will happen if you increase the text size or switch to grid view?

Also it's got to have a reasonable resolution for it to be useful - for you to see details of the wave. Otherwise what's the point?

geposted Thu 22 Aug 19 @ 4:33 pm
groovindj wrote :
Very low resolution is OK when your browser text is small, and you're using the list view - but what will happen if you increase the text size or switch to grid view?

Also it's got to have a reasonable resolution for it to be useful - for you to see details of the wave. Otherwise what's the point?

Generally speaking I think a snapshot of the waveform is the way to go, instead of scanning it over and over again., because the waveform doesn't change at all.
A reasonable resolution is indeed necessary, but this could be compensated with lower bit depth, less colors or a quite strong compression to minimize the file size. Additionally there could be an option to choose between a low or high resolating waveform.

I also think it is not about every single detail in the wave and its frequencies, since the origin of the idea (rekordbox) doesn't give that much information in the miniature waveform either. Its more about seeing roughly where cues are placed, which tracks are prepared at all (helpful in case of duplicates) and maybe compare the preparation of the tracks or their construction to each other.

geposted Thu 22 Aug 19 @ 7:53 pm
probably back and white would work fine if you just want to see the flow of the track

like this

geposted Thu 22 Aug 19 @ 9:35 pm
If it has the cue points, it would need a rescan, update feature for the display but the snapshot would be the way to go... saved quite like the art image. The art image scroll section could even be replaced by the waveform display, instead of loading the image of the cover (showing the previous and next smaller next to it) this could be a longer thinner jpeg (or whatever format it is). Scroll the browser and the image instantly pops up, can't see why this would take too more power than showing the cover art.

geposted Fri 23 Aug 19 @ 5:59 am
Why is this needed??

I just don’t see the point. How does seeing cue points in the browser help you dj??

And I’m pretty sure there’s a filter that will tell you what tracks have cue points and which ones don’t??

geposted Fri 23 Aug 19 @ 1:01 pm
PhilWPRO InfinityMember since 2011
I think it’s a good idea.

Let’s say you have a few versions of some track you don’t know too well and therefore aren’t familiar with all the remixes. The visual info with cues etc could help. Yes, you could use comments or some other field and filters, but this would be another option. One thing which is great about Virtual DJ is it’s versatility - it doesn’t force everyone to use it the same way with the same workflow.

I’d like to see a grey waveform (similar to the white posted earlier) with the cue points coloured.

The waveform graphic could be regenerated and written as they are being set. Or a number of other ways.

geposted Fri 23 Aug 19 @ 2:52 pm
How is it going to help tho?? Your not saying how it helps......

I download tracks all the time that already have cues set but just seeing them doesn’t tell me anything other then that they are there.

It’s not until I actually sit down and listen to it do I have an idea of what’s going on with the track.

And for the record when I do use RBDJ I get rid of the waveforms in the browser.

geposted Fri 23 Aug 19 @ 3:24 pm
For me it can help with estimating how many beats are in a section on a track so I can decide if I should mix here or there. Using the outro every time gets boring Imo.

geposted Fri 23 Aug 19 @ 4:47 pm
wickedmix wrote :
For me it can help with estimating how many beats are in a section on a track so I can decide if I should mix here or there. Using the outro every time gets boring Imo.

Ok see that makes more sense.

These others guys aren’t saying how it helps which is what should be established when asking for a new feature in my opinion .

geposted Fri 23 Aug 19 @ 5:03 pm
I think it should be clear for everyone that djing is not only about mixing...
Preparation is key!
And having an overview which tracks are prepared, which may need preparation, or the difference between track versions is a reeeeealy huuuuge advantage.

I didn't knew either what the waveform in RBDJ should be good for, till I started using it extensively.
Try it yourself and start to prepare tracks for a specific event in a totally empty rekordbox, then you get the point very quickly. It's a big timesaver because you have an overview. A really big timesaver!

And if this fits in someone's workflow, why don't implement it?
I find it unneccessary to discuss about whether or not implementing something that a view people like, just because it doesn't fit in some others workflow.
If you get rid of the waveform in rekordbox, then you can do the same in Virtual DJ.
But the once who see the point and get a use out of it, will love the software even more.
And the use of such a waveform was written in the first post.

geposted Sat 24 Aug 19 @ 3:17 pm
locodogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
I just use field2 to indicate a fully cued track

geposted Sat 24 Aug 19 @ 3:31 pm
locodog wrote :
I just use field2 to indicate a fully cued track

But this is something that has to be done by yourself.
Not that it's bad, but some people don't think as far, or don't even know about it.
And as good as it might work, but it doesn't show your the construction of a track, and doesn't tell you differences between preparations or the tracks in general.

geposted Sat 24 Aug 19 @ 3:41 pm
Would you really need to see waveforms and cue points of all the tracks in the browser at once?

I was thinking maybe the songpos view of an unused deck (99?) could be shown above the browser, in the cover view area, to load and show track by track as you scroll.

geposted Sat 24 Aug 19 @ 4:31 pm
groovindj wrote :
Would you really need to see waveforms and cue points of all the tracks in the browser at once?

I was thinking maybe the songpos view of an unused deck (99?) could be shown above the browser, in the cover view area, to load and show track by track as you scroll.

This sounds like a solution my friend.

geposted Sat 24 Aug 19 @ 6:55 pm
I would like to see this in the track-info-panel on the right side.
... and add there the possibility to edit comment etc. on the fly.

geposted Sat 24 Aug 19 @ 7:03 pm
I'm assuming it could be scripted (load browsed song to deck 99 or whatever's required) so it works all the time.

Locodog?

geposted Sat 24 Aug 19 @ 7:07 pm
63%