Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: Can't set up external soundcard - Page: 1

Dieser Teil des Themas ist veraltet und kann veraltete oder falsche Informationen enthalten

Hello,

I'm having major difficulties setting up my Numark Mixtrack 3 (NOT PRO) with an external soundcard on VJ8 Pro. The Numark MT3 does not come with a built-in soundcard so I'm not able to cue up a song in the headphones while a song plays on solely the speakers. I'm using a Focusrite Scarlett as a soundcard. I've watched a ton of youtube videos and can't figure out what I'm doing wrong.

Is it the soundcard? Is something plugged in incorrectly? Is it is the settings in VDJ8?

I can provide screenshots if needed and pictures of the devices. I would love some help with this.

Thanks!

geposted Tue 08 Oct 19 @ 11:15 pm
kevinfromrhodeisland wrote :
I'm having major difficulties

What are those difficulties?

I'm using a Focusrite Scarlett

Which one? There are currently six different models.

If you're trying to use it for both stereo master output and stereo headphone signal then it will need to have at least four audio outputs channels (4i4 model).

geposted Wed 09 Oct 19 @ 7:19 am
I can't cue up a song in the headphones by itself without it playing through the speakers as well.

I did check my soundcard, I've come to found that it doesn't have the 4 outputs and is a Focusrite Scarlet 2i2. Is there a work around for this or do I need a different soundcard?

geposted Wed 09 Oct 19 @ 4:13 pm
locoDogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
2 outs means you'll have to mono out

geposted Wed 09 Oct 19 @ 4:25 pm
...or you could use the Scarlett just for your master output, and your computer's built in audio for headphones. You might get issues with latency though (headphone audio lagging behind the master).

geposted Wed 09 Oct 19 @ 4:30 pm
groovindj wrote :
...or you could use the Scarlett just for your master output, and your computer's built in audio for headphones. You might get issues with latency though (headphone audio lagging behind the master).

Would it be possible for you to post a screenshot of what the settings should look like if I do this?

geposted Wed 09 Oct 19 @ 6:39 pm
No point of a screen shot because my setup won't look like yours.

Set the audio config to speaker + headphone (top left), which should give you two lines listed in the lower middle section, under 'outputs'.

Set the drop-down next to 'master' to your Scarlett ASIO chan 1&2, then set the drop-down next to 'headphones' to your internal interface (Realtek or whatever) chan 1&2.

Click the big 'apply' button, and also name & save the setup (bottom right) so you can recall it.

geposted Wed 09 Oct 19 @ 7:36 pm
groovindj wrote :
No point of a screen shot because my setup won't look like yours.

Set the audio config to speaker + headphone (top left), which should give you two lines listed in the lower middle section, under 'outputs'.

Set the drop-down next to 'master' to your Scarlett ASIO chan 1&2, then set the drop-down next to 'headphones' to your internal interface (Realtek or whatever) chan 1&2.

Click the big 'apply' button, and also name & save the setup (bottom right) so you can recall it.

I don't have that option for the headphones drop-down. I tried with the built-in output option and everything is still playing out of the speakers.

geposted Wed 09 Oct 19 @ 10:08 pm

I don't have that option for the headphones drop-down

This is why I didn't want to include a screen shot. The likelihood of your computer having exactly the same audio interface as mine is remote (although Realtek is very common). As yours says 'built-in output', that would be the one to use.

The problem may be that as (presumably) your computer OS is using the built-in interface for it's default sound, that's preventing VDJ from using it.

I notice that your sample rates (right hand side) are different for each interface. Best to set them to the same rate if possible.

geposted Wed 09 Oct 19 @ 10:22 pm
groovindj wrote :

I don't have that option for the headphones drop-down

This is why I didn't want to include a screen shot. The likelihood of your computer having exactly the same audio interface as mine is remote (although Realtek is very common). As yours says 'built-in output', that would be the one to use.

The problem may be that as (presumably) your computer OS is using the built-in interface for it's default sound, that's preventing VDJ from using it.

I notice that your sample rates (right hand side) are different for each interface. Best to set them to the same rate if possible.

Is there a way to fix the OS using the built-interface for it's default sound? And how do you change the sample rate?

Also, just to make sure I have everything plugged in correctly, could you tell me where to plug the appropriate wires in on the interface, just to cover all bases here.

Thanks for all your help with this.

pictures of the interface for reference:

geposted Wed 09 Oct 19 @ 10:33 pm
Just to make sure, you do have the headphones plugged directly into the computer, not the Scarlett? Also you do not have an audio cable coming from the headphone socket of the computer, going into the Scarlett?

Speakers are plugged into the Scarlett, and headphones are plugged into the computer audio socket?

geposted Wed 09 Oct 19 @ 10:41 pm
groovindj wrote :
Just to make sure, you do have the headphones plugged directly into the computer, not the Scarlett? Also you do not have an audio cable coming from the headphone socket of the computer, going into the Scarlett?

Speakers are plugged into the Scarlett, and headphones are plugged into the computer audio socket?

Headphones are plugged directly into computer audio socket. The speakers are plugged into the Scarlett through the port on the front with the headphones symbol.

Let me know if any of this needs to be switched around?

The audio preferences are set to what you told me to put them to. Just tried again and both tracks, left and right are still coming out of both the speakers and the headphones

geposted Wed 09 Oct 19 @ 10:52 pm
Another thing - make sure the cue mix knob in VDJ is turned to cue. If it’s turned to master, you will hear the master signal in the headphones....

geposted Wed 09 Oct 19 @ 10:58 pm
groovindj wrote :
Another thing - make sure the cue mix knob in VDJ is turned to cue. If it’s turned to master, you will hear the master signal in the headphones....

Do you have a screenshot of where that is exactly?

geposted Wed 09 Oct 19 @ 11:06 pm
blckjckPRO InfinityMember since 2008

geposted Wed 09 Oct 19 @ 11:11 pm
blckjckPRO InfinityMember since 2008

geposted Wed 09 Oct 19 @ 11:12 pm
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
So the issue lies on the "Built-in Output", which is your computer's "default" audio device, and as per your report, it doesnt output the Headphones signal, even though your headphones are plugged there. Weird is that usually this name Built-in Output is found on Macs, while you have a Windows computer, correct ?
If on windows, i would try 2 things..
1. See if your computer's sound card requires any drivers to be installed.
2. Make sure the Scarlet is not the default audio device of your computer (for playback) - see Windows Sound Settings

geposted Thu 10 Oct 19 @ 12:05 am
djdad wrote :
So the issue lies on the "Built-in Output", which is your computer's "default" audio device, and as per your report, it doesnt output the Headphones signal, even though your headphones are plugged there. Weird is that usually this name Built-in Output is found on Macs, while you have a Windows computer, correct ?
If on windows, i would try 2 things..
1. See if your computer's sound card requires any drivers to be installed.
2. Make sure the Scarlet is not the default audio device of your computer (for playback) - see Windows Sound Settings

Hello, I am using a Mac

geposted Thu 10 Oct 19 @ 12:11 am
groovindj wrote :

I toyed around with the Master tab (I had the whole layout not set to PRO so I wasn't seeing it) and I was able to fix the problem.

Thank you so much for your help. Without your help I would of never figured this out. Owe you one big time, man.

Thank you everyone in this thread who jumped in. If I run into anymore issues I know where to return to.

geposted Thu 10 Oct 19 @ 12:13 am
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
Hello, I am using a Mac

You should let us know about that.. :)

So, from Applications-->Utilities->Audio Midi Setup, make sure the "Built-in Output" is set as the default device for Sound (and not the Scarlet) and give VDJ another try with the Audio setup you posted above.

EDIT, seems you fixed it, so don't bother with the above ;)

geposted Thu 10 Oct 19 @ 12:13 am
95%