Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Music discussion

Topic: Ashanti - Rock Wit U (Bren F Remix) [Free Download]

Dieses Thema ist veraltet und kann veraltete oder falsche Informationen enthalten.

bagpussPRO InfinityMember since 2003

Here's my new remix of Ashanti's RnB classic "Rock Wit U" in a Nu Disco style, good for lounges and opening/closing sets, listen and download on Soundcloud

geposted Mon 04 Nov 19 @ 10:50 pm
So you got permission from Ashanti or her label to remix and distribute her copyrighted material?

geposted Tue 05 Nov 19 @ 5:42 pm
groovindj wrote :
So you got permission from Ashanti or her label to remix and distribute her copyrighted material?

Tell me your top 10 favorite remixes out this month and I'll tell you how many of them were done with permission. Which services do you use to obtain music and/or music videos? I'll tell you which of those distribute 100% label approved content; the answer is basically none of them.

But to answer your question this remix is being distributed for a limited time only as a promo, the remix is being considered by the rights holders and they have no objections to this level of distribution. The same can't be said for most of the remixes on your drive (I'm prepared to bet), unless you refuse to download any edit or remix that's anything less than official? And if this were true then you'd simply suck as a DJ, because most of the hot stuff being distributed to DJs is not official or technically supported/allowed by the label.

Have a great day.

geposted Tue 05 Nov 19 @ 7:17 pm
Actually I don't play "third party" remixes from Soundcloud or wherever.

I download my music from a professional provider, whose music is PRS/MCPS and PPL registered, and fully licensed for business use.

Prior to that I bought my music on CD or (even further back) vinyl, from a very well respected local store.

I don't use a "pay a small fee and download as much as you like" pool full of remixes done by their customers. I'm not a club DJ (any more). Clients at the vast majority of gigs I play don't want "hot stuff" (aka obscure remixes). They expect to hear the version they're familar with.

geposted Tue 05 Nov 19 @ 7:52 pm
groovindj wrote :

I download my music from a professional provider, whose music is PRS/MCPS and PPL registered, and fully licensed for business use.

This means nothing in terms of the remixes/custom edits being signed off by the label or rights holders. I know this because many of the companies that tick all of these boxes distribute a lot of my unofficial work, they clearly don't care as much as you do.

I play in bars, clubs and lounges, and tasteful remixes are always welcome, at least 70% of the tracks in the UK top 40 require an accessible remix to have any energy on the floor, plus it makes life slightly more interesting if the DJ isn't just a Radio 1 echo chamber.

geposted Tue 05 Nov 19 @ 8:17 pm
bagpuss wrote :

Here's my new remix of Ashanti's RnB classic "Rock Wit U" in a Nu Disco style, good for lounges and opening/closing sets, listen and download on Soundcloud
Great remix. Groovy and housy, I would certainly use this in a radio show.

Ah, and it reminds me of the good ol' days. This is BTW how DMC (Disco Mix Club) came along, via Tony Prince (founder), bootlegs, pirate radios in the North Sea, Radio Luxembourg etc. etc. Most record companies I have spoken with over the decades love mixes like this! Off the records of course. There has been legal battles over the years, mostly in the 80s when this thing was new, and usually from the music cartel ("the big four", or is it three now?), but in the longer run these things turn out to benefit all parties when this thing called common sense is applied. And they don't see DJs as DJs per-se, but as promoters - which is why they sent us free stuff in the past. As long as the mixes aren't spread around to everyone in high-quality they usually have no problems with bootlegs. In fact, it often increases the promotional value and reach. There are always a young hot-head manager in some of the labels which trigger when it is not run by the legal department, but in most cases this flies. Speaking generally here.

In any case, nice job!

geposted Tue 05 Nov 19 @ 8:19 pm
bagpuss wrote :
at least 70% of the tracks in the UK top 40 require an accessible remix

Really? Wow! In your opinion of course.

My opinion is that a good 90% of the chart these days is rubbish that I would try to avoid playing if at all possible! Nothing that a remix could rescue.

Luckily my gigs tend to be for an older crowd that appreciate music of earlier decades.

Your remix sounds OK (I only played a snippet) but I found that I couldn't just download it. I was expected to log in with a SoundCloud account, leave a comment, repost your remix, stand on one leg, sacrifice a chicken... :-(

PeteVanPolaris wrote :
This is how DMC came along

DMC was founded because of the megamixes Alan Coulthard sent to Tony Prince, which got played on Radio Luxembourg. So many DJs contacted him asking where they could get the mixes, that he realised there was an opportunity for a DJ club. I'm pretty sure it was always done completely legally, with the full consent of record labels.

I sent a few mixes in to DMC in the early days. Not accepted though. I also took part in the very first DMC mixing contest!

geposted Tue 05 Nov 19 @ 8:50 pm
I play to mixed age groups but predominantly younger people, it's very common now for them to add the prefix "can you play a remix of" before their request, and when they don't I rarely hear any objections to remixes.

Yea you need to be logged in and click a few buttons before getting access, it takes about 15 seconds, so far creating this remix from nothing but VSTi's (no sample packs), mixing and mastering has taken me a number of hours that I wouldn't like to disclose, I do this as a hobby with some hope of recognition and perhaps some signings one day, I'm not a serial remixer than does things by numbers, I take a few projects a month and pour everything I've got into them.

geposted Tue 05 Nov 19 @ 9:06 pm
groovindj wrote :
DMC was founded because of the megamixes Alan Coulthard sent to Tony Prince, which got played on Radio Luxembourg. So many DJs contacted him asking where they could get the mixes, that he realised there was an opportunity for a DJ club. I'm pretty sure it was always done completely legally, with the full consent of record labels.
I sent a few mixes in to DMC in the early days. Not accepted though. I also took part in the very first DMC mixing contest!

I admit my sentence is a bit contracted. And DMC was mostly due to Tony's own remixes of single tracks (and these were bootlegs...) as well as Alan's megamixes that triggered the interest while he were at RL. My point was that Tony Prince's own background (together with Rosko et.al) came mostly from pirate radios, which were not considered legal, at least in the eyes of the UK gov. which preferred everybody listen to the government owned BBC and their propaganda.

I was too a member of DMC at some point. I was not in their first comp, but a little bit later (but it was actually due to DMC mixes being played on radio early 80s, from SannyX (Golden Rules), Shep Pettibone etc. that caught my attention and made me wanne DJ and do mixes, "sharing the joy" so to speak). Good times and fond memories. Unfortunately, DMC is not the same as it used to, IMO.

Point being, this as well as the early hip-hop scene in the US.. almost everything DJ started from the underground, mashups, remixes, samples, custom scratch vinyl... As DJs we should understand our history. Bootleg mixes are an extension to this even today, and fortunately more "accepted" by many labels themselves; so we shouldn't jump on fellow DJs for doing what DJs always have been doing. We have all been there (and many even run smaller labels today)...

geposted Tue 05 Nov 19 @ 10:25 pm
PeteVanPolaris wrote :
bagpuss wrote :

Great remix. Groovy and housy, I would certainly use this in a radio show.

Thanks Pete I appreciate the positive feedback!

geposted Tue 05 Nov 19 @ 11:49 pm
I like the mix. There wouldnt be any hip hop if permission was always needed ;)

geposted Thu 19 Dec 19 @ 5:49 am
HugeBeatz wrote :
IThere wouldnt be any hip hop if permission was always needed ;)

Permission is always needed.

geposted Thu 19 Dec 19 @ 1:39 pm
Yes, TODAY we need a license, but we wouldn't have hip hop music if it wasn't for sampling that started before any licensing laws were in place. Just like we wouldn't have any of our modern dental practices if it wasn't for WWII. Not saying it's a great way to get there, but it's the path that was taken. Like the kids say, "just sayin.'" Anyway, I like the mix.

geposted Mon 23 Dec 19 @ 11:37 pm
HugeBeatz wrote :
started before any licensing laws were in place

There were laws making it illegal to steal copyrighted material from others long before hip hop (or samplers).

Some people chose to ignore it. Doesn't mean it wasn't there. A lot of them got in trouble because of what they did.

geposted Tue 24 Dec 19 @ 1:46 pm
There are plenty of Facebook groups sharing music and video, some directly from subscription services.

Nobody seems too bothered about shutting them down.

geposted Tue 24 Dec 19 @ 2:29 pm

(Alte Themen und Foren werden automatisch geschlossen)