Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Pioneer controller DDJ-FLX6 - Page: 1

geposted Tue 17 Nov 20 @ 10:55 am
locodogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
Only RCA out, aimed squarely at the home gamer.

geposted Tue 17 Nov 20 @ 11:16 am
Is it supported by VDJ yet ;)

geposted Tue 17 Nov 20 @ 11:19 am
LOL

Has it got split cue? Can it do DVS? Is there a skin for it? :-)

Yeah, with the RCA outs and a single input (1/4" mic jack with volume knob) the target market is clear, but hey - full size jogs!

geposted Tue 17 Nov 20 @ 1:03 pm
TVD UKPRO InfinityMember since 2007
Another Pioneer, bedroom DJ unit. Can't even put xlr on it.

geposted Tue 17 Nov 20 @ 1:35 pm
Bless Mojaxx:

I think this controller is pretty much a gimmick. Aside from the 4 decks, a DDJ-400 costs less, does more things that make sense, and looks better, without the gimmicks.

geposted Tue 17 Nov 20 @ 6:35 pm
I have a numark mixtrack platinum and all you need is an rca to 1/4 jack cable. been using rca for a while now, been djing since 1978.
but I do run the 1/4 to a DBX then xlr to the speakers. unless its a quick job just mixer and speakers which the rca to 1/4 will work fine.

seen this, possible upgrade for me, but been a VDJ user since the beginning.

geposted Thu 31 Dec 20 @ 9:06 am
DJFREDDYB407 wrote :

I'm sure VDJ support will come

But this controller is really one to skip - way too expensive for being a plastic entry level controller with strange gimmicks you won't use after the first hour of testing it

geposted Thu 31 Dec 20 @ 1:16 pm
HeltinoPRO InfinityMember since 2020
klausmogensen wrote :
DJFREDDYB407 wrote :

I'm sure VDJ support will come

But this controller is really one to skip - way too expensive for being a plastic entry level controller with strange gimmicks you won't use after the first hour of testing it

100% agreed.
No balanced output but instead a fancy toyish function and all of this delivered in the good old tupperware haptics and optics.

geposted Fri 01 Jan 21 @ 9:13 pm
I reaslly don't understand why people use lack of XLR outs as a way of saying it's "not professional" or "it's a toy".

XLRs are not essential.

As DJs we just need to get a signal from the controller to the amp or powered speakers. The type of connector on the cable doesn't matter.

It doesn't matter either if the signal is not balanced. For the typical cable length used, to get from controller to speakers at a mobile gig, and for the signal levels involved, the signal doesn't need to be balanced.

It also doesn't matter if the unit is made of plastic. The important things are: Does it do what you need it to do? Is it within your budget?

geposted Sat 02 Jan 21 @ 8:51 am
locodogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
@ groovin, what was your last controller that only had rca out?

£500 is about the top end for a [4ch] home gamer device, while a pro might have a final stage mixer or DI boxes, meaning only rca out is no big deal.
but it tells you the device has been engineered to a price, and the best way to cut the production cost is to not think about servicing repair.
there'll be parts of this that have been cost engineered so that longevity = warranty period + 1 day.

geposted Sat 02 Jan 21 @ 10:22 am
That would be the Reloop Mixtour.

I also have a 1st gen DJ2GO that doesn't have any audio output at all. Audio for that would be via my MAYA 44 USB - all RCA.

My larger units were all chosen for their functionality. They happen to have XLR outs, but that didn't figure in my purchasing decision.

XLRs on stage/PA mixers tend to be for mic level signals. Lines are usually 1/4" jack, so those little RCA jack convertors come in useful there.

geposted Sat 02 Jan 21 @ 12:52 pm
HeltinoPRO InfinityMember since 2020
groovindj wrote :
I reaslly don't understand why people use lack of XLR outs as a way of saying it's "not professional" or "it's a toy".

XLRs are not essential.

As DJs we just need to get a signal from the controller to the amp or powered speakers. The type of connector on the cable doesn't matter.

It doesn't matter either if the signal is not balanced. For the typical cable length used, to get from controller to speakers at a mobile gig, and for the signal levels involved, the signal doesn't need to be balanced.

It also doesn't matter if the unit is made of plastic. The important things are: Does it do what you need it to do? Is it within your budget?

It does matter by several reasons.
a) connecting to pro PA does often just require XLR as RCA is not offered
b) running a mobile gig on own (or rented) PA is without XRL an issue.
Connecting directly to active PA...connecting to professional amps.....there is XLR a must have.
Try with RCA and cables more than 5 meter and see what you get.....terrible sound.
See what happens if a RCA connection is made close to some power cables....

I agree: in a bedroom setup or in the own small party basement RCA or XLR might not matter, but "pro" means for me out in the fields and connecting to professional equipment...here is XLR without option.
The FLX is for me therefore more or less a bedroomer item and not a choice for gigs out in the field at all.

geposted Sun 03 Jan 21 @ 12:49 pm
groovindj wrote :

XLRs are not essential.

@Groovin, I would agree with you if the controller in question (DDJ-FLX6) had it's own PSU.
But it doesn't. It's USB bus powered.
Most likely that's the reason it doesn't have XLR's (since they require more power to operate).
However, the real issue is that without it's own PSU, and without XLR connections, the controller is prune to any kind of electronic interference.

I don't speak as an Atomix representative here. I speak by representing myself, and I hate to say that FLX6 is the first controller I had in ages that gave me electronic noise interference on my system(s).
The same systems that I have used plenty of other controllers with the last 6 years... Ranging from $200 to $3000, all controllers I tried and mapped, would not produce electronic noise.
FLX6 does. Unfortunately, the only way to get a clean signal out of it on my system(s) is to either use a noise suppressor (I had one laying around unused from 2010) or D.I. Boxes.
Most likely DDJ-FLX6 draws too much current from the USB bus (I didn't bother to check yet) and that's why it behaves like that. I don't know if a powered USB hub could provide a solution, or if a firmware update can solve this. But I can tell that some users may experience electronic noise interference.

PS: The noise is the same with all 3 programs: Rekordbox DJ, Serato, and VirtualDJ.
It's not related on how the controller is mapped to operate.
On my system(s) it produces noise even by just sitting idle and connected on my PC without any app running.

AGAIN: That's on my system(s). On other system(s) it may operate flawlessly.
However, the lack of an external PSU on this device, shows a bad design decision...

geposted Sun 03 Jan 21 @ 7:03 pm
That reminds me of the problems with the original VMS4.

geposted Sun 03 Jan 21 @ 10:00 pm
groovindj wrote :

XLRs are not essential.

I don't agree with you.
I'm Mobile and Resident dj and i can say without doubt the connectivity is one of the most important aspect of my work.
-I have my own PA system and he don't have a RCA connection, i use XLR to TSR or XLR to XLR.
-I djing on various Audio system and the type and quality of cable is important other way you can experiencing various sound problems.
-Other point, the quality construction of a controller is really important...i mean it's not necessary to have "built like a tank" for sure, it's necessary to have a piece of hardware well build with certain resistance to travel, manipulation and eventually drop off, electromagnetic resistance etc. I see many case where the dj come with a cheap controller and get lot of problems because these units are build like a crap.
-Pioneer release a toy....something design just to djing EDM (my opinion) and pass away on connectivity features and quality construction.
i had the occasion to djing on this unit....faders, pitch faders, knobs, buttons are horrible you can feel they're not build for long run...
Sorry but this "thing" is not a PRO controller, it's just a ddj-400 with four channel and big jogwheel.
Regards, Aku

geposted Tue 02 Feb 21 @ 3:11 pm
DjAku-Aku wrote :
Sorry but this "thing" is not a PRO controller

Nowhere in this thread did I say that it is a pro controller. What I'm saying is that XLRs are not as essential as some DJs seem to think.

The inputs of a PA system may well be XLR, but that does not make it impossible to use anything with RCAs as a source, or that RCAs are only found on toys (blah blah blah).

geposted Tue 02 Feb 21 @ 4:42 pm
Is the Hercules Inpulse 200 acceptable to practice beat matching and then to use at gigs ? I just spent $300 on lifetime license for VDJ Pro so not looking to spend $400 more on a controller, at least not yet.
I have been a karaoke host for a couple of years & I have a 12 channel Allen & Heath analog mixer and a good PA.
Does this controller add any noise to the sound system? Other concerns I might have with it?

geposted Wed 03 Feb 21 @ 7:18 pm
user22251581 wrote :
Is the Hercules Inpulse 200 acceptable to practice beat matching and then to use at gigs ? I just spent $300 on lifetime license for VDJ Pro so not looking to spend $400 more on a controller, at least not yet.
I have been a karaoke host for a couple of years & I have a 12 channel Allen & Heath analog mixer and a good PA.
Does this controller add any noise to the sound system? Other concerns I might have with it?

This thread is about the FLX6 not the Impulse 200.

Short version: I have an Impulse 200 in my closet and I can say it was a bit of a PITA to work with. Possible, yes, worth it no.

Should you get a FLX6, depends. Get one with the features you want. How's the noise? Not sure. I'm planning on ordering one soon and can report back but should be fine I would imagine unless you have a major EM sources near you and you can always use internal PC sound mixer than the onboard one.

geposted Sat 20 Feb 21 @ 10:09 pm
I am new to the whole scene and I picked up the FLX6 as a beginner tool. Honestly, I wish I had done more research but to the OP's point, unbalanced outputs really really don't make that much of a difference. I mean, if your amp/powered speakers, etc are 90 feet away, then sure, you would run the risk of of a long, unbalanced run picking up 60 HZ hum and random RF crackle. But if you are only patching across the table to the rest of your gear, probably you won't have issue. Balanced/XLR cables ARE the professional standard for analog audio runs and aside from preventing interference, the actual quality is virtually the same. IF you are connecting mixers /amps/recorders/compressors, and that type of thing to your gear, balanced XLR will REDUCE the occurrence of ground looping should you have a component in the chain with a power/grounding issue.

The one major downside to the FLX6 is USB power. The FLX6 is NOT a mixer, it is a software controller with a built in sound card ( and a not very good one at that.)
If you hear a high pitched, "pulsing" sound, I can offer three very easy workarounds:

- get a good quality, pro grade USB interface and use that for your output instead of the internal sound card. I use the Native Instruments K6 Komplete... YES! With balanced XLR in's and outs. from there I hit my PA.

Or.

-Get a good quality external mixer with USB connectivity and use it as your output directly from a channel on the mixer.

-also, for any USB audio device that does not have a separate power supply, do this-
Take a standard 5v. USB power adapter (phone charger) and an extra USB cable and make an isolated power supply. On the side of the cable that connects to your computer, open the usb cable and cut the red and black wires. The idea is to not power your device from your PC. tape off the wires you cut on the laptop side of the cable so they don't short out, then use the phone charger and spare cable to splice into the first cable and connect only the red and black for power to your device. In other words, you want to run power from the phone charger to your USB audio device and ONLY the data from your computer. It's not as complicated as it sounds. I am happy to walk anyone through it.

or you can buy a 30-40 dollar ground loop isolator that filters out the noise.

geposted Sun 05 Dec 21 @ 4:25 pm
91%