Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: delay in microphone in headphones
I'm using a Maono USB microphone but there is a slight delay when talking, which makes talking difficult as i'm always using my headphones. Any settings in vdj that i can fix this with?

geposted Sun 13 Dec 20 @ 8:38 pm
Hi Cap, there's a slight chance that you are on a "slow" soundcard driver, like MME or WDM on an internal soundcard... The latency of most standard drivers is way too slow (20ms or more) for direct monitoring. If that is the case you need to use a professional soundcard (internal or as an outboard) with a ASIO or Kernel driver which can bring you to a latency of 5-7ms (depending of your computer) and the delay won't be noticable anymore. Alternatively there is a chance that your soundcard is able to accept the use of the universal ASIO-4-ALL driver. It's free for download at: http://www.asio4all.org/

Good luck ;-)

geposted Mon 14 Dec 20 @ 12:22 am
thank you! i'm going to buy a macbook pro after xmas ..hopefully that will do the trick!

geposted Mon 14 Dec 20 @ 3:52 pm
It's not the computer that's the issue.

geposted Mon 14 Dec 20 @ 5:00 pm
@groove...so it's the controller? i'm on a lower end unit - a pioneer ddj sb2

geposted Mon 14 Dec 20 @ 5:22 pm
See the first answer. Because it's a USB microphone, the audio is being converted from analog to digital inside the mic before it reaches your computer (which takes a small amount of time). This may be unavoidable, if there's no latency adjustment in the mic drivers (assuming it has drivers).

If you use a traditional mic, with a jack or XLR plug, connected directly to your SB2 then you won't get a delay in your headphones.

geposted Mon 14 Dec 20 @ 6:18 pm
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
You can often get lower latencies even using wasapi by using the exclusiveAudioAccess option and then ,anually setting the latency option (try 256 for example)

geposted Tue 15 Dec 20 @ 6:30 am
my first step was in fact using the 1/4" mic jack on the SB2 but i don't hear anything in the headphones. it just doesnt work. does it have to be a certain type of microphone? i've tried a few different ones. no dice

geposted Tue 15 Dec 20 @ 12:54 pm
The headphones are also plugged into the SB2? If you have the headphone mix knob turned to 'master' then you should be able to hear the headphones*.

Which mics did you try? Did you have the mic level turned up?

* I'm assuming here that the SB2 is not like the Denon Prime 4, which does not include the mic in the "master" signal to the headphones!

geposted Tue 15 Dec 20 @ 1:05 pm
yea headphones plugged into SB, and i can hear the music and mic in the headphones no problem, but the mic latency is causing a slight delay when i speak. mic level on sb2 is up. i think it has something to do with the sb2 since it's lower end, and how the signal is handled. i actually bought a small yamaha mixer as i read elsewhere of a fix while using a standard mic plugged in to the SB2, but so far i haven't figured that out - something to do with looping back the signal to my headphones. physically i'm running dual rca on the SB2 to dual 1/4" on the mixer, and the mic into the mixer too. i 've tried both xlr and 1/4 mics, and i can hear the mic in the headphones but the cue'ing and monitor controls no longer work on the sb2. it's a bit of a convoluted mess. i think i might need a better controller.

geposted Tue 15 Dec 20 @ 2:23 pm
I am using the Yeti Blue microphone (usb connection to MacBookPro) w/Numark n4 & Numark dj2go2. I have latest updated edition Virtual DJ, but I am experiencing latency in my wireless headphones. Does anyone know of a way to rid the latency so I can DJ and talk into microphone, w/out interruption?

geposted Tue 20 Jul 21 @ 6:50 am
locoDogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
use wired headphones.

geposted Tue 20 Jul 21 @ 7:26 am
locodog wrote :
use wired headphones.

@Locodog, thanks for reaching out 🤙🏽
..is there a way to fix this in Virtual DJ or on my MacBp settings? I currently don’t own “wired” headphones and like the mobility of “wireless” headphones.

geposted Wed 21 Jul 21 @ 10:48 pm
locoDogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
not really, BT always adds lag with audio. you could use RF headphones.

geposted Wed 21 Jul 21 @ 10:59 pm