Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: VD is Deleting parts of a tracks
simonControlleristMember since 2021
Hello, I really am enjoying using this software, and I appreciate its free to use without a console. However, I have noticed one alarming problem. Some tracks that have been fine when I have first played them, are being corrupted. Yes the actual MP3 is being shortened. For example, I load in a track thats 7 minutes, the next day I load it in, its 2 minutes. I first thought, maybe its just in VD, but no, to my horror, the actual MP3 is somehow being written to. Has anyone else have this happen, and how did you fix it?

geposted Fri 11 Jun 21 @ 12:22 pm
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
Please upload one of these Tracks and post the link here to check.

Is it just incorrect Track time and Track is full when played, or somehow the Track is cut off ?

geposted Fri 11 Jun 21 @ 12:28 pm
VirtualDJ does NOT write / rewrite your files by default.
The only case for VirtualDJ to write data to your files is if you enable the setting to update tags automatically (which is disabled by default)
Therefore it must have been something else that messed with your files.

IF you have turned on the option to automatically update tags and you suspect that VirtualDJ updated the tag(s) and corrupted the file(s) then please try to reproduce your issue with a file (you do keep backups of your media files, don't you ? ) and after you succeed send us both the original file and the corrupted one.

geposted Fri 11 Jun 21 @ 12:29 pm
DJ_EMVEEPRO SubscriberMember since 2016
@DJDad and @PHANTOMDEEJAY:
Apologies for the read ahead.

I recently seemed to have experienced a similar problem. I am aware, as has been mentioned by PHANTOMDEEJAY, that Virtual DJ does not write to any file and in the past have not encountered a similar issue. Might be an issue with a new external hard drive itself, though it was purchased brand new a few months back and I haven’t had any issues with it. Its a Seagate brand external, like my other external hard drives and my backup drives. I'm not saying it is an issue with the software but any more information would be appreciated. Or best case scenario its an issue with either the laptop or the external drive.

About 80 songs (that I’ve been able to find so far) have been re-recorded over with parts of live mixes. Most of the files affected are located in one folder on my main external hard drive, though some are in other folders. The files are from the past few months but not all the files acquired during that time are affected. Data is identical when comparing the file sizes, lengths, date of creation and dates modified. For example, the original file will be 3:16 long with a size of 7633KB and the corrupted file will have the same length and file size and will play the entire length of 3:16 but part of a live mix will fill in that time instead of the original file audio, though the modified date is not updated. That seems to be the case for the files I’ve been able to isolate so far.

Other than allowing Virtual DJ updates to happen every so often, I have not made any changes to how the tags are being handled. As of a few weeks ago, I am currently on VDJ2021 pc64 Build 6503.1798. In the options menu, “setTagsAuto” is set to No, as it is by default. If there is another "...update tags automatically..." option please let me know. I DJ of an SX2 and a Lenovo Yoga Pro, and have used the same set up for the last 3 years. Prior to that I had an older Lenovo with the same mixer but upgraded the laptop to the current one. The laptop is only used for djing. The main external hard drive has been in use since April and I’ve recorded both practice and live virtual events since purchasing it.

My experience seems to have happened on June 24th and June 27th. And I say “seems” only because I noticed the file audios were different when I was trying to collect a few songs for later use. I played and recorded a 3.5hr mix at an event on the 24th and a 3hr mix on the 27th. I tend to record all my mixes, (whether practice or live) and have been doing so with the new hard drive almost every week since I’ve purchased it. In the past, none of the recorded mixes seem to have any technical issues during playback but the last mix on the 27th does not playback on any program and VDJ errors when its loaded onto any of the decks. The software has not shown any issues while playing live. To the best of my knowledge nothing has changed in my process of djing, recording or changing settings in years.

Other than this forum post, I haven’t found a similar post looking back a few months. Any additional information would be much apricated though I’m leaning towards the external being the main cause of the file changes. In in the meantime I plan on purchasing another drive, cleaning out my laptop and reinstalling the OS, as I will be part of a four day gig later this week. I’d be more than happy to provide original and altered files for comparison but not so much into trying to “recreate” the issue as both my last two live mixes have already changed files and I wouldn’t want to lose any more audio to this problem. Just let me know how to get the files to you, if you're interested. I’ll also update this post after some time with additional good or bad outcomes.

Thank you guys for your time,

geposted Tue 29 Jun 21 @ 5:14 pm
djdonnPRO InfinityMember since 2006
I'm having a similar problem but with video files. Have been for a few weeks. Seems when I write an id3 tag to an mp4 through VDJ, it corrupts the file. Not all of them, but probably 6 or so in the past few weeks, and a couple more today. Beginning to think it's something to do with how VDJ writes the tag to the file.

geposted Tue 29 Jun 21 @ 7:04 pm