Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: Write Cue Points to File, instead of database
Levity1PRO InfinityMember since 2017
Here's the scoop:
I use VDJ and all my files are stored in iCloud Drive, but downloaded to my Macbook.
I'm hiring another person to manage my library (cue points, categories, labeling, etc.)
I have my own VDJ license
He has his own VDJ license
I've shared my iCloud library with him to add cue points/tags/categories/colors/etc to the songs in my iCloud Drive.
The metadata he's adding only loads into his VDJ database XML file, not to the individual song itself.

I know song files can have that data stored within it, because when I download songs from various DJ pools, some will already have cue points added.

How do I add cue points to the actual file itself instead of to the database file?

geposted Wed 30 Jun 21 @ 7:29 pm
It's not possible, nor there are currently any plans to make it work this way.

However it is possible to share a complete library via cloud if you use symlinks to sync the database as well.

geposted Wed 30 Jun 21 @ 8:07 pm
Levity1PRO InfinityMember since 2017
PhantomDeejay wrote :
It's not possible, nor there are currently any plans to make it work this way.

However it is possible to share a complete library via cloud if you use symlinks to sync the database as well.

Thanks PhantomDeejay!

I'm googling symlinks right now and it's looking pretty deep. Do you know of any resources to setup a symlink that would work for this situation?

geposted Wed 30 Jun 21 @ 8:15 pm
I don't use MACs often and it seems you're on a MAC.
I know it's possible on MAC to create Symlinks as it is on Windows. I just don't remember the way.

In order to explain it, symlinks are "shortcuts" for directories or files.
The main difference is that apps can't tell the difference between a "real" file and a symlink.

Now, the way to set it up is simple:
You create a folder inside your cloud drive/folder/service that will sync among all computers.
Then you move VirtualDJ database inside that folder and on it's original location you create a symlink pointing to the new location of the database.

This way the database syncs among all computers.

Of course your media files must sync on the same location on all your computers as well.

I don't know the internals of iCloud, but I have done this on Windows with Dropbox as a cloud service and it's actually easier to do than to describe.

PS: There's another way to sync tracks and data that's less technical savvy but involves more steps.
In a nutshell, you do the following:
Computer A: Copy the tracks (through VirtualDJ browser) on an empty USB stick/drive
Computer A: Once all files you need to copy on computer B are on the stick, close VirtualDJ and move all the USB stick contents inside a folder on iCloud (or any cloud service)
Computer A: Wait for all files to get uploaded.

Computer B: Wait for all files to get downloaded
Computer B: Move all the contents of the folder of iCloud on an empty USB stick
Computer B: Start VirtualDJ.
Computer B: Browse the USB stick with VirtualDJ and copy/move it's files to your own drive through VirtualDJ browser.

Again, it seems more complicated than it actually is.

The last procedure works because when you copy/move files from within VirtualDJ browser, VirtualDJ handles the database data automatically so that all track metadata (including hotcues etc) get retained.

geposted Wed 30 Jun 21 @ 8:34 pm
Ugh! Can anyone tell me where the hotcues for songs are stored? Seems I've lost them all in a data move... :(

geposted Thu 21 Jul 22 @ 7:07 pm
database.xml

In documents > virtualdj for fixed drives or the virtualdj folder on removable ones

geposted Thu 21 Jul 22 @ 7:30 pm
Finally found the right file and got it in the right place Thanks

geposted Fri 22 Jul 22 @ 4:24 am