Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Can I extend waveform hotcue tooltip vertically
HB ZoukPRO InfinityMember since 2017
Hello guys! You know when we hover our mouse button over our hotcues in the loaded track's waveform? That usually makes a tooltip pop after a few seconds just like on the image I have attached to the post:

https://www.virtualdj.com/img/340052/52995/tooltip.jpg

You may also notice that, sometimes, when you write too much text, some of it's content gets cut off on the end of the user interface.

So my question is: is it possible to make the tooltip text expand vertically just before it gets cut off, revealing all the text written? If it is possible, which xml file should I edit for that? Which properties/tags/ or elements should I target and edit in the corresponding xml file?

I'm asking because sometimes I have to leave some random notes in my songs (not regarded to the djing aspect, more like random stuff actually)...so if any of you can help me that would really benefit and help me out! :D

geposted Mon 19 Jul 21 @ 6:22 pm
locodogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
Nothing I know of, tool tip format is hardcoded in places.
I'd kind of like to see the same principle for long effect_strings.

geposted Mon 19 Jul 21 @ 11:29 pm
Why would you want such a long hotcue name ?
I mean okay obviously VirtualDJ "lets you do that", but why ?
And after all a tooltip is not the correct place to put such long text even if it could wrap to several lines.

PS: I'm asking in order to determine if there's a better solution for you, or if there's a need that makes sense and can be implemented somehow.

geposted Wed 21 Jul 21 @ 12:56 pm
NicotuxHome userMember since 2014
Just strange tooltips and pads names do not interpret escape sequence '\n' in cue names
when pads names and tooltips do recognise '\n' when set directly
that's maybe one easy thing that can be implemented

geposted Wed 21 Jul 21 @ 1:22 pm
HB ZoukPRO InfinityMember since 2017
PhantomDeejay wrote :
Why would you want such a long hotcue name ?
I mean okay obviously VirtualDJ "lets you do that", but why ?
And after all a tooltip is not the correct place to put such long text even if it could wrap to several lines.

PS: I'm asking in order to determine if there's a better solution for you, or if there's a need that makes sense and can be implemented somehow.

Don't worry bro I understand you mean no harm :D

I'm a programmer, so I just thought: "since virtualdj gives me such power in customizing stuff, maybe there would be something that would allow me to do that as well". It would be a nice opportunity to delve in the xml files and learn some bits of what's happening in there.

Also, when I do gigs (pretty rarely, I'm mostly a bedroom dj), I like leaving notes like: "this, this and that song fits well in here. This other one might fit well here under these circumstances, etc", stuff like that, just to make me feel a little bit safer when djing (I know it's not the best habit, but it helps me feel more confident as a bedroom dj hehe). So being able to do all that inside virtual DJ is pretty cool, no need for alt+tab or stuff like that which would me lose precious time for making transitions. It would really be an useful and interesting feature that would allow me to save time and feel more secure, and that perhaps could have other equally interesting use cases like locodog mentioned before.

And thinking about it, It might not be too hard to implement that, so maybe you guys would allow us to edit tooltips size in the future? :D

Thanks for the help and attention guys, I really appreciate it you trying to help me! If anyone from VDJ is watching this, please think about adding this feature haha...Have a nice day!

geposted Fri 23 Jul 21 @ 9:33 pm