Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: Adjusting loop in/out points on DDJ-RZ
I've been using my DDJ-RZ recently and wanted to adjust the out point of a loop I'd just enabled, but found that it's not been mapped to do that.

The DDJ-SX2 on the other hand (which I also have) has the exact same selection of buttons but does offer adjustment of loop in/out via the jog wheel.

Is there any reason for the difference? Can I just borrow the SX2 mapping for that function and transplant it to the RZ?

geposted Sat 11 Sep 21 @ 2:03 pm
locoDogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
can't tell you why but the action should work, just copy over loop_in & out actions

geposted Sat 11 Sep 21 @ 4:09 pm
I'll give it a go...

Well that part works, but selecting my custom mapping kills the channel VU meters and the color FX.

Selecting the default mapping brings them back again, so there's a difference somewhere.

LATER: OK so it looks like there's a bunch of stuff missing from the exported custom mapping XML!

The lines for the VU meters and color FX have not been exported.

geposted Sat 11 Sep 21 @ 4:49 pm
@Groovin

DDJ-RZ offers 2 different "default" mappings.
One for internal mixer sound configuration, and one for external.
On the external mixer configuration, VU meters and CFX_SELECT buttons are not mapped.
Also the two mappers have some differences on their <ONINIT> and <ONEXIT> keys.

So, it seems that you exported the "External Mixer" mapper while you wanted to use the internal mixer actually. That's why some keys were missing from your custom mapper.

Finally:
When we map controllers we try to do the following things:
1) Follow the actions printed on the Silkscreen of the device
2) Map the device to behave as close as possible with it's original software.

DDJ-RZ can actually be compared with DDJ-SZ.
While the devices are almost identical, they do have different behavior in various bits here and there because RZ is a Rekordbox device, while SZ is a Serato device.
While it would be possible for us to provide "what we think is the best behavior for each button" on a mapper, every time we tried to do so we get complaints that "this button doesn't work as it's supposed to"
Of course you can argue "what's supposed a MIDI button to do?" :P
What users usually mean is that it doesn't work as it works in the software that accompanies the controller!
That's why the loop buttons (and some other buttons actually) work slightly different between almost identical controllers like RZ/SZ/SX2 e.t.c.

geposted Tue 14 Sep 21 @ 5:23 pm
Thanks for the reply :-)

geposted Tue 14 Sep 21 @ 9:38 pm