Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: adding new mic/input - Page: 1
so, this is probably pretty stupid, but was wondering how to add my mic, which is routed through my mixer. The only option I get from the audio page is my computer mic (terrible) I need my mixer as I plan on taking calls.. I read that I can add another mic/input but it didn't give me that option? Or, how to I add my MIXER? Not sure, just need to broadcast my voice!! Help!
And thanks!!

geposted Wed 08 Dec 21 @ 3:23 am
locoDogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
what device?

geposted Wed 08 Dec 21 @ 3:32 am
a rodecaster. I have my mic running through my mixer, then my mixer obviously going to my computer (and vdj) it says I can add a mic but not sure if that will work... (as the whole mixer would have to be added??)
technoweenie here!!
:)

geposted Wed 08 Dec 21 @ 3:52 am
ok, I'm guessing here but, it should be seen as a lineIn, as far as vdj audio config will see it.

geposted Wed 08 Dec 21 @ 4:16 am
ok, but when i try to add it, all I get is Realtek HIgh Def Audio (computer) not sure how to add? Im going to "audio" then to line inputs?

geposted Wed 08 Dec 21 @ 4:22 am
have you used your mixer with any other program?

geposted Wed 08 Dec 21 @ 5:14 am
no, I havent, so, maybe I messed up some other connection? I can hear the OUTPUT from the computer (vdj) in my headphones and the MIXER will record voice/music (from recorder) but computer (and vjd) will not pick up voice, I think the line input is right, after you mentioned it I watched a youtube on it, but unlike the video, it will not let me change the "realtek" option in the drop down menu...so, thisis kinda a dealbeaker for me...gotta have a functional mic! :)

geposted Wed 08 Dec 21 @ 1:46 pm
I'm thinking you haven't installed the driver for the device, I'd suggest firstly following the instructions to get basic mic input with whatever software Rode give instructions for, once you've proved the device that way, the vdj side of things should be pretty simple.

geposted Wed 08 Dec 21 @ 2:19 pm
I assume from what limited info you've given that your mixer is a Rodecaster Pro, is that correct?

Do you have a USB cable going from the mixer to your computer, so the computer sees the mixer as an audio interface?

geposted Thu 09 Dec 21 @ 7:04 pm
thank you for finding this!!

Yes, driver downloaded. And managed to add it to the drop down menu under both input and output (is that right? Again, mic routed through mixer, so not sure but yes to driver!)

And yes, rodecaster pro.

Is VDJ not compatible with Rode? There's another really good mixing DJ program I woiuld have used but Rode is not a mixer it works with, I thought VJD would, good to know if not.

geposted Fri 10 Dec 21 @ 5:19 pm
and yes, USB from mixer to laptop. I can hear music in my headphones from computer and can record on mixer then transfer it to computer and it works fine.

VJD just does not pick it up.

geposted Fri 10 Dec 21 @ 5:22 pm
so, i guess the answer is no, vjd does nor work with rode mixers...mics routed into mixers? Ive been working on this and finally yes, the mic is picked up, but only as a very faint, tinny sound totally drowned out by music. Im guessing the mic and music share one channel and it's awful. Not ssure what the issue is but there must be a way to use an external mic/mixer and have it sound okay? This is very frustrating but i don't see how to resolve it.

geposted Sat 11 Dec 21 @ 12:57 am
freppaPRO InfinityMember since 2002

geposted Sat 11 Dec 21 @ 6:11 am
red pony girl wrote :
vjd does nor work with rode mixers

VDJ will work with any USB audio interface which is compatible with your computer & OS. If the computer can see the interface, then VDJ can use it.

However, although the majority of DJ controllers are plug & play with VDJ, VDJ cannot offer plug & play configuration for every single USB audio device on the market - so it's up to the user to configure it correctly.

geposted Sat 11 Dec 21 @ 9:37 am
Freepa - thanks! I will def check that out, although I was hoping that VJD could accommodate a simple mic set up, but you're right, maybe a specific program would help! thanks!

geposted Sat 11 Dec 21 @ 1:42 pm
groovindj wrote :
red pony girl wrote :
vjd does nor work with rode mixers

VDJ will work with any USB audio interface which is compatible with your computer & OS. If the computer can see the interface, then VDJ can use it.

However, although the majority of DJ controllers are plug & play with VDJ, VDJ cannot offer plug & play configuration for every single USB audio device on the market - so it's up to the user to configure it correctly.

Right, thats what im trying to do (configure correctly) no point in trying to configure something thsts not compatible tho! Yes, my computer can certainly interface with the rode mixer, no problem.

But.

Now that the mic is picked up by vjd...sort of, it sounds so awful!! For sure, not useable as it is!! So Im trying to figure out the configuration to see if it's fixable or not. I just need a mic set up that works, thats it. I'm not trying to do anything complicated.

Even if I route my mic through my computer and skip the rode, Im wondering if the mic still shares a deck with music, and thus will sound awful no matter what? And if I do that, I lose any fader for the mic, how does that work witrh VJD?

Again, I just need a mic that works and if there is a vid or something that lays all this out, happy to watch

and thanks!

geposted Sat 11 Dec 21 @ 1:52 pm
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
It's probably useful to show the audio setup you have now in virtualdj and perhaps check if there's a manual for the mixer that explains which channels are exposed to the computer through usb.

geposted Sat 11 Dec 21 @ 2:11 pm
Adion wrote :
It's probably useful to show the audio setup you have now in virtualdj and perhaps check if there's a manual for the mixer that explains which channels are exposed to the computer through usb.

THANK YOU!! I have to figure out how to show it, but the mixer goes to the computer via usb (and all channels are picked up by computer) the mic is connected into channel 1 of the mixer, headphones also connected to mixer, and the mixer is connect4ed to a power source. If i have to, i can lose the mixer but then I don't see that I have any way to modulate the mic? (curious, about that, don't know that) I can hear music in my headphones (from the computer), stuff I record off the mixer plays easily on computer....

geposted Sat 11 Dec 21 @ 2:35 pm
As well as posting a pic of your VDJ audio config, it would be useful if you provided some detail about exactly how you're expecting to use your setup.

Are you just recording audio locally, or broadcasting audio (where to?), or doing live DJing streams..... ?

geposted Sat 11 Dec 21 @ 7:48 pm
Thanks! Will figure out how to take a pic, but will be using it for internet radio. I have a broad aster so am just using vdj for live shows (so..need a mic!)

geposted Mon 13 Dec 21 @ 1:32 am
69%