Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: Cue Points Inconsistently Kept When Moving Files
mrcheckPRO InfinityMember since 2020
What Happened:
I spent several days adding cue points to over 300 videos. Then I decided to split them into sub-folders to categorize them. I created the sub-folders through Virtual DJ and moved the files through Virtual DJ.

Then I pulled up the POIs Editor for a few of them and watched it analyze the files as though they were new and saw it add new cue points. The ones I had added were gone.

I closed Virtual DJ and opened up the database.xml file in a text editor and looked for the files I had just loaded. They were listed in the old location with my cue points as well as the new location with the new cue points it just added. I also noticed entries for files that had been deleted but that's a different story.

I removed the new entries and edited the location of the old entry, re-opened Virtual DJ, and my cue points were back.

I then closed Virtual DJ and spent the next several hours going one by one through the 300+ videos changing the location in the database.xml file to the new location. After that, all my cue points were back.

The odd thing is that some of them had been moved to the new location when I moved the files, but most of them had not.

Question:
Is there a certain way that you can move files to different sub-folders and have Virtual DJ keep the cue points other than manually editing the database.xml file? I made sure that I moved the files using Virtual DJ so that this wouldn't happen, but it happened anyway.

Thanks

Check

geposted Sun 02 Jan 22 @ 10:22 pm
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
It should indeed be done automatically when moving through VirtualDJ.
What was the path of the old and the new location?

geposted Mon 03 Jan 22 @ 5:28 am
What puzzled me is that you state VDJ is re-analyzing the tracks,

user21945747 wrote :
I created the sub-folders through Virtual DJ and moved the files through Virtual DJ.

Then I pulled up the POIs Editor for a few of them and watched it analyze the files as though they were new and saw it add new cue points. The ones I had added were gone.

I believe that moving files within VDJ.. that VDJ will NOT see them as "new" and hence no need to analyze them. (the fact that VDJ does not see them in its database (and needs to analyze them) is reason enough for the Cue points not to be there)

I await to understand more, as the mystery unfolds :)

geposted Mon 03 Jan 22 @ 5:51 am
There were several new paths, but here's an example of from and to:

From Path: D:\Videos\NewUnCued\video
To Path: D:\Videos\video\Funny

Some of them, I moved one by one, a lot of them, I moved by selecting several of them, then right clicking and choosing File operations | Move to...

Maybe it has issues when moving more than one file? As I said, I made sure to do everything through the Virtual DJ interface so I wouldn't have this problem, but ended up with the problem anyway.

geposted Tue 11 Jan 22 @ 4:15 am
About the re-analyzing the files...

The database.xml file had the correct cue points in it before I started moving files.

When I moved a file that ended up being re-analyzed, here's what happened. When the file was opened in the POI editor, it would be re-scanned and a new entry would be added to the database.xml file showing the newly scanned cue points. However, the file was still also located in the database.xml file in the old location with the old cue points. Virtual DJ moved the file, but didn't change the entry in the database.xml file to show the new location. So when it looked at the file, and looked it up in the database.xml file, it didn't see it listed and treated it like a new file.

Hope that clears up what happened. As to WHY it happened, and more importantly, how to prevent it in the future, that's what I'm hoping someone can figure out.

Thanks!

geposted Tue 11 Jan 22 @ 4:21 am