Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: Cbg visual dot doesn't update
When i adjust the cbg on a mp3 the dot in the wave form updates right away. But on a mp4 after I have started and stopped the song it doesn't update on the waveform. If I nudge the waveform a little the dots jumps directly to the right position.
I have a Macbook pro 2019, Catalina and use Metal in VirtualDj.
If i change the settings to Open GL it works like it should.
So is it Mac - Metal bug or Virtualdj - Metal bug?

geposted Wed 23 Feb 22 @ 8:47 pm
Mp3 works ok. Mp4 works firts but after played one time it stops. First beat change works but not CBG adjust.

geposted Thu 24 Feb 22 @ 10:04 am
When the waveform display is set to "Beats" it works as i should. When the waveform is set to colors or shape the bug appears and the CBG dots doesnt move until you nudge the waveform.

geposted Fri 25 Feb 22 @ 7:27 am
When i try some other random downloaded skin the bug doesn't appear. So it must be the original skin that has the bug.

geposted Sat 26 Feb 22 @ 6:27 pm
Can a have some feedback from the staff?

geposted Mon 28 Feb 22 @ 11:21 am
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
Works fine here on mac with metal. This is the default skin with Pro layout?

geposted Mon 28 Feb 22 @ 12:28 pm
So you have seen the video and tested with a mp4 video, started the track, stopped and then trying to adjust the cbg?
I have 3 different Mac and same problem with built-in skin. With other skin it's OK. So what could be my problem?

geposted Mon 28 Feb 22 @ 1:35 pm
I upload a new video that could be a little better to understand the problem.

I have 2 Macbook pro and 1 iMac. Same problem on all. The video is from my iMac.

iMac late 2013, 3,4 Ghz Quad-Core Intel Core i5, Nvidia GeForce GTX 775M 2 GB
Macbook pro Retina late 2013, 2,9 Ghz Intel Core i5, Intel Iris Graphics 6100 1536 Mb
Macbook pro 15 2018, 2,6 Ghz 6-core Intel Core i7, Radeon Pro 560X 4Gb and Intel UHD graphic 630
(my primary dj Mac)

geposted Mon 28 Feb 22 @ 4:38 pm
Could someone with skin experience explain what's the difference is between built in skin and for example the skin GTS-2K21 that PhantomDeejay made and works for me?

geposted Tue 01 Mar 22 @ 7:57 am
Try to switch experimentalSkinEngine option and try again.

The main difference in GTS2K21 is that CBG always shows the "shades" between the CBG "dots"
Most likely this means that once you start moving your grid the "dirty" area (that needs to get drawn again) is bigger and forces a quicker refresh than the default skin (when experimentalSkinEngine is used)

I haven't tested it, but that's my theory as to why this happens to you.

geposted Tue 01 Mar 22 @ 10:23 am
Thanks for the explanation. Now i understand it a little better.
I have tryed some different settings and one time i got it to work but that was with a new song that hasnt been scanned before. I will test more and come back.

geposted Tue 01 Mar 22 @ 4:06 pm
No i can't get it to work with built in skin and color waveform or shape. Beats waveform and other skins work.
Have tested on/off experimental wave color.

geposted Wed 02 Mar 22 @ 9:33 pm
locoDogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
not wave color, skinEngine

geposted Wed 02 Mar 22 @ 9:34 pm
Ahhhh! I have change "experimentalWaveColors" yes/no and no succes.
Now i found and change "experimentalSkinEngine" from auto to no and NOW IT WORKS!
So what does that settings do or doesnt on a Mac that makes the built in skin to doesnt work correct?
I it some Mac display driver issue or is it like it says "Experimental" and stll in beta?

geposted Thu 03 Mar 22 @ 9:31 am
When set to "no" VirtualDJ will update (draw) the entire display every time it refreshes (usually 30 or 60 times times per second, or any other value you set on settings)
When set to "yes" VirtualDJ will update (draw) only areas of the skin that are "dirty" enough to require to be redrawn (their graphics have changed) between each refresh of the display.
When set to "auto" it's kind of a middle ground. Some elements are drawn constantly and some others are drawn when they are dirty.

experimantalSkinEngine will eventually become the "standard" engine at some point.
There are also more differences between each setting, but the general picture is as explained above.

geposted Thu 03 Mar 22 @ 9:51 am
Thanks Phantomdeejay for the great answer. Now it make sense and i am happy with that answer.
Instant updated CBG dot and possibly higher CPU/GPU usage or not , thats the question :-)

geposted Thu 03 Mar 22 @ 10:05 am
In modern computers it shouldn't matter much (regarding CPU/GPU power)
However it could make a small difference in power consumption which is only critical for laptops running on battery.
But a DJ would not typically run its laptop on battery :P

geposted Thu 03 Mar 22 @ 11:02 am