Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: How to import old database with ratings
Hi.

I bought VDJ 2021.

I have a really old database (v6) with hundreds of tracks with ratings and comments that I want to use in VDJ 2021.

When I copy/rename the VirtualDJ Database v6.xml to database.xml,
VDJ21 does not show any comments or ratings. They're all blank.

Does anybody know why this is?
I did check getRatingsFromTags and getCommenFromTags but no difference.

If it's relevant, when I look at the id3 tag in windows, the MP3 files dont have comments or ratings, as if VDJ7 and v6 databases didn't write to the id3 tag....was this the case?

EDIT
Just noticed in VDJ2021 it has "get from tag" for comment and rating. Also a "write to tag" button.

There isnt a "write" option for the rating in VDJ 7. But there is for comment.

Rating is the thing I want the most....

So, how do I get things from a V6 database which were not written to the id3 tag, to show up in VDJ2021?

Thank you

geposted Thu 03 Mar 22 @ 1:27 pm
You should NOT rename it.
You should leave it at it's default location with it's default name.
Then when VirtualDJ starts if there's no VirtualDJ 2021 database on the drive already present, it will read and convert the v6 database automatically

geposted Thu 03 Mar 22 @ 3:52 pm
EDIT - I see your reply to someone else on the same issue. I will have a good read of this first, thank you.
https://www.virtualdj.com/forums/174297/Old_versions/Help_my_virtual_dj_v6_database_wont_load_up_in_my_new_virtual_dj_v7__.html

Thanks for the reply.

I didn't rename it, well, the original is still there, then I noticed the new database.xml but that had no ratings so I copied and pasted the old one to database.xml

I'm wondering if I have a non standard file path. I moved "documents" to a D: drive.

Do you know what was the original location should be?
Root of HD or in documents/Virtual DJ?

I know external drives it is root but unsure about with internal drive.

Oh also then there's
"VirtualDJ Local Database v6.xml" and
"VirtualDJ Database v6.xml"

I cant remember whats the difference or need for both. Very confusing setup!

All I want is my database in my documents as that folder is backed up daily to a different HD, where as the root of the drive isnt! But this isnt an issue now.

Thank you

geposted Fri 04 Mar 22 @ 11:37 am
Thanks all sorted :)

Had copies and backups all over the place from years ago making it more confusing.

Read and re-read mostly replies from yourself to other people on similar issues until I understand which v6 db should be in which location and named "local" or without "local".

Moved surplus copies somewhere out of the way so it was less confusing, left the most up to date "VirtualDJ Database v6.xml" in Documents/Virtual DJ

Deleted database.xml also from Documents/Virtual DJ
(wasnt sure if database.xml meant to be in root:/Virtual DJ but apparently not. It gets written to documents/Virtual DJ after any changes)

Opened VDJ2021 and tadaa! Comments and ratings:)

Further reading in case anyone stumbles on this post:
https://www.virtualdj.com/forums/236400/VirtualDJ_Technical_Support/Query__Database_Paths___Database_Import___Merging.html
https://www.virtualdj.com/forums/174297/Old_versions/Help_my_virtual_dj_v6_database_wont_load_up_in_my_new_virtual_dj_v7__.html

geposted Fri 04 Mar 22 @ 12:37 pm