Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: Is it possible to merge two XML databases
Is it possible to merge two XML databases from two different computers?
I have a Windows PC and a MacBook, both have the same directory structure. On the PC I prepare titles, e.g. with "Mixed in key" set cue points, with the MacBook I make my GiG's, but I also set cue points there.

geposted Thu 05 May 22 @ 1:55 pm
While "technically" it is possible, it's not possible in practice, espesially since you are going to merge databases from two different OS.

However, there's a way you could possibly use to ease your task:
1) Do the preparation tasks on your files on your Windows Computer.
2) Use VirtualDJ browser to copy the new files on a thumb drive.
3) Move the thumb drive to your MAC
4) Use VirtualDJ browser to move/copy the files on where you want them on your MAC

The other solution would be to use an external hard drive for both Windows and MAC computer.
Since the database is local to the hard drive, both systems will be able to read and write all infos from/to it.
If you decide to go that route, you'll have to format the external hard drive to ExFAT first, or use a program on your MAC that will allow it to write data on NTFS formatted drives.
MAC OS can read NTFS drives, but doesn't support writing on them.
Windows doesn't support HFS or APFS at all.

geposted Thu 05 May 22 @ 6:10 pm
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
You can also use the database backup/restore function to copy the database from one computer to the other.

geposted Thu 05 May 22 @ 6:44 pm
Thanks for the answers!
I noticed one thing in the XML databases.
In the database on the Mac system, the "file path" is described as on the Windows system, with a drive letter. That surprised me a little!

Database Mac:
Song FilePath="D:/Music/Best Of 2008 Club Edition/Dirty south - The End (Radio Edit) _Radio Edit (Radio Edit).mp3" FileSize="4411063">

Database Win:
Song FilePath="F:\Music\Best Of 2008 Club Edition\Dirty south - The End (Radio Edit) _Radio Edit (Radio Edit).mp3" FileSize="4411063">

It's news to me that Mac letters are used for drives!

geposted Fri 06 May 22 @ 2:21 pm