Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: Stem Bleed (Functionality and Coding)
Hi all,

I'm trying to get a grasp on the stems feature and how it works. Basically pressing the Vocal button in VDJ toggles vocals on and off. Simple enough until I wanted to find a way to control the volume of the vocals so I found something called bleeding. My assumption was that low bleeding vocals would enable the formula to fully remove vocals while high bleeding vocals start 'bleeding in' and increasing the vocals presence in a song.

Now that doesn't seem to work that way while increasing and decreasing the bleeding the stems controls. After digging around I noticed that I can change the filter knob with an arrow beside it into vocals and with that I can increase and decrease vocals.

Is there somewhere in VDJ I can see the code for that and/or if anyone knows how I can programmatically increase/decrease the vocals?

I must be implementing the following code wrong and the help documentation is not as fantastic as having some examples... This does not work...
effect_stems vocals off
stems_bleed MuteVocal 10%

geposted Sun 19 Jun 22 @ 11:26 pm
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
stem_bleed is only a subtle parameter to adjust the sound of the stems separation.
It ranges from more bleed (a little bit of background instruments still passing through, but less artifacts) to less bleed (minimal background instruments passing through, but a little more digital artifacts audible)

To gradually adjust stems as with the slider on the eq, you can simply use
stem vocal

on a slider.
Or with buttons, you can use
stem vocal -10%

Note that just like with eq kill, mute and volume act independent.
So
mute_stem 'Vocal'

Will mute the stem until unmuted, regardless of the position of "stem vocal"

geposted Mon 20 Jun 22 @ 5:42 am
@Adion Excellent thanks. Before I make a longer script, I did get the following to work:

stem vocal &
stem vocal 40%

and I like the fact I can use +/- to increase or decrease. I'll be playing with it in scripts shortly.

geposted Mon 20 Jun 22 @ 2:46 pm
dfyffePRO InfinityMember since 2003
Adion wrote :
stem_bleed is only a subtle parameter to adjust the sound of the stems separation.
It ranges from more bleed (a little bit of background instruments still passing through, but less artifacts) to less bleed (minimal background instruments passing through, but a little more digital artifacts audible)

To gradually adjust stems as with the slider on the eq, you can simply use
stem vocal

on a slider.
Or with buttons, you can use
stem vocal -10%

Note that just like with eq kill, mute and volume act independent.
So
mute_stem 'Vocal'

Will mute the stem until unmuted, regardless of the position of "stem vocal"

How would I get the stem volume that was change to return to default when the stem isolation is released, ie: I isolated Bass, Hihat and Vocal and adjust the volume for each to 60%, after I released the isolation I would like all to return to the default volume of 50% ?.
This is my button script
deck active mute_stem Kick & deck active mute_stem Instru & stem Vocal 60% & stem Hihat 60% & stem Bass 60%.

geposted Mon 10 Oct 22 @ 5:25 pm