Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: Clipping within a channel possible?
Hi folks!
I'm changing between Virtual DJ and Traktor Pro and unfortunately get confused regarding the channel levels and clipping risks.
I'm wondering whether it leads to clipping when i take a channel's gain to the max by the gain knob itself or the equalizer (bass), when the master max level is out of sight.
I ask this because in Traktor Fora i read it doesn't matter how hard I overdrive an internal Traktor channel, I only should focus on the master level. When I once tried this approach with Virtual DJ, I got the impression it sounded bad.
Can someone please give me advice how to handle this within VDJ!?
Greetings from Jena, Germany
Matthias

geposted Mon 11 Jul 22 @ 8:14 pm
It depends on your audio setup.
If you use internal (software) mixer then indeed the master is the only thing you should really look after.
That being said, VirtualDJ has a built in limiter in master output that will prevent it from clipping.
However, being a "hard / brickwall" limiter means that once you start hitting it frequently, your sound will degrade (it will start "pumping" as a side effect of the limiter kicking in)

If you use external (hardware) mixer, then you should pay attention to each deck.
In this case VirtualDJ also has a built in limiter that works against each deck, preventing clipping of each deck separately. Of course the same rules apply: If you start hitting the limiter frequently, the sound will "degrade"

Finally:
VirtualDJ only offers a hard (brickwall) limiter as a last means to prevent clipping/distortion.
It does not offer a "soft" (or soft knee) compressor/limiter as Traktor does.
If you want such a compressor, you can use any VST effect you like on the master output.

geposted Tue 12 Jul 22 @ 12:57 am
Thank you very much, dear Phantomdeejay!
If you're used to analogue mixers it just feels so strange to let a channel escalate. 😄
Have a good time!
Matthias

geposted Tue 12 Jul 22 @ 2:08 pm