Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: Copying/syncing database and settings from Windows to Mac
kzbkzbHome userMember since 2021
Hi, so I'm wondering how easy it is to copy settings, database and so on from a Windows setup of VirtualDJ to a Mac setup.

I'd ideally like to be able to manage a library on a Windows computer, and then in the field use it on a Mac, rather than doing a Windows dual boot as I've played around with so far.

I've read the file paths would need to be changed for the music (on an external) but I don't know what else needs changing and how easy the whole process is.

Is there a guide to doing this sort of workflow for whenever the database, settings, or something else is updated?

geposted Tue 26 Jul 22 @ 12:53 pm
Try the backup/restore function for database it might work

geposted Tue 26 Jul 22 @ 1:34 pm
You can set the home folder as the external drive so VDJ reads and writes everything there. I do that and it reads on all my machines. Not sure about Mac though as I'm bootcamped

geposted Tue 26 Jul 22 @ 2:01 pm
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the fields in the database.xml are interchangeable between Mac and Windows except for the filenames. You'll need to do a (potentially lengthy) find-replace every time you move from one to the other since Windows uses a drive structure like C:\Users\DJ\Music\ and Mac uses a mount structure like /Macintosh HD/Users/DJ/Music/.

geposted Tue 26 Jul 22 @ 7:55 pm
It would work globally if you were using an external drive I would guess

geposted Tue 26 Jul 22 @ 8:02 pm