Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: Weird zero dB and volume issues?
jm4212PRO InfinityMember since 2011
Hi, been having some weird volume/peak issues with the gain and zerodB settings for VDJ 8.
I transitioned from VDJ to Mixxx a couple years ago, and back to VDJ recently, and I'm having some serious peak issues, as well as weird experiences with Autogain... No matter what I do, VDJ lowers the volume on certain tracks, even with zeroDB set to default and Autogain off.

I use an audio interface via USB (A Behringer U-Phoria UM2), and from that output to my Sennheiser HD-206 cans.

I found a track that shows this perfectly, this is Inhalt - Language (Rhys Fulber Remix).

Playing this track in Foobar2000 for playback, it shows the gain like this (white lines on highest peak, just before 0 dB, just fine):

However, playing this in VDJ (with no extra gain, mind you) with, or without Autogain, it turns the volume down in a strange way (Highest peak around 50% volume and actually kind of fully compressed? But low volume and output, so a very weak compression with a hard knee)..

It's not easy to visualize this, but take that track for a spin and see what I mean.
How can I fix this? I want the gain output I get in other media players and DJ software to be the same gain I get in VDJ.

geposted Fri 19 Aug 22 @ 7:33 pm
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
Did you check the tooltip on the gain slider?
With autogain off and zerodb at default it should just play the original file as is.
Note that the vu meter shows power by default, but can be changed to show digital peak in options

geposted Fri 19 Aug 22 @ 7:51 pm
Here's the VU Meter tooltip, taken at a high peak:

Here's one with the Gain tooltip:

Here's my settings (I had Autogain enabled at that point, and by default I have gainSliderIncludesAutoGain to off):

Here's the VU meter with Autogain off:

And here's my zeroDB settings, haven't touched it after:

geposted Fri 19 Aug 22 @ 8:02 pm
Adion wrote :
Note that the vu meter shows power by default, but can be changed to show digital peak in options

Changing the peak settings on the VU meter seems like it did the trick so now it's actually showing peak instead of power! Thank you so much!

geposted Fri 19 Aug 22 @ 8:04 pm