Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: Only Default Skin Works With Shaders . build 7183
Issue
I had a gig a few a few weeks ago and about half way through the 3 hour gig VDJ locked up completely while running a shader on a second output and quit. I was able to bring it back up and run the rest of the show without the shader , luckily a backup option was available to keep the energy on screen . At the end of the event I started a shader visual once again and within about 5 mins the shader and the VDJ GUI completely freeze , however it did continue to play music until you click on the screen then VDJ shutdowns.
I have used this skin with shaders for almost two years but it had been nearly 3 months since i had used shaders for that length of time on one machine.
Testing
This was while running a single source shader , a selection of shaders I have had no issues with before in regards to performance on a well suited laptop . ( Specs at Bottom)
I thought to check the last time the skin was updated , I was using the Haunting Pro Skin which is just about a year since it's last update at the time of this post.
The most recent updated skin at the time was controller 2020 by DennYo which had been updated just 6 days prior to this post which I installed to test.
Now I had tested most of the recent/relevant skins as well to see if this issue was persistent and I found it was , even with the controller 2020 skin which I thought might have addressed a potential code change in the 7183 build.
I have been able replicate this issue on 3 different pcs so I don't believe isolated to my computer.
Temp-Solution
The default skin is the only skin I can run a shader for 20+ mins with no issues. I use a projector with shaders at a good number of events this is currently the only way I feel safe doing so.

Specs
Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
System Manufacturer Dell Inc.
System Model G7 7700
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10750H CPU @ 2.60GHz, 2592 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s)
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 16.0 GB

geposted Wed 26 Oct 22 @ 11:58 pm
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
Skin shouldn't matter, but custom skins may be more resource intensive (in case the issue would be caused by overheating perhaps)
You could try setting experimentalSkinEngine to "Yes"
When it's on automatic it's currently only used for the default skin, which causes it to use less resources.

geposted Thu 27 Oct 22 @ 8:16 am
Adion wrote :
Skin shouldn't matter, but custom skins may be more resource intensive (in case the issue would be caused by overheating perhaps)
You could try setting experimentalSkinEngine to "Yes"
When it's on automatic it's currently only used for the default skin, which causes it to use less resources.

Yes I am aware it shouldn't matter however it does, and it's not an overheating issue.

geposted Thu 27 Oct 22 @ 4:43 pm
Update on shaders / Skins
Almost a full show with a single shader running for about 2 hours , crashed in the last 30 mins , quickly back up, this was on build 7183 , updated yesterday to EA 7235 haven't seen the same issues yet.

geposted Fri 04 Nov 22 @ 8:18 pm