Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: Best solution to force VDJ to store *everything* on external HD
jamez3dPRO SubscriberMember since 2019
Hi.

At home I like to use my desktop PC to go through music collection and make changes, playlists, filters, virtual folders, update meta tags etc.

When I'm out DJing and in my camper van I use my laptop.

So I have 2 PCs that I use VDJ on and need them synced. Not just tunes database but things like playlists, history, filters, virtual folders etc.

As it is, I have to manually remember to transfer everything on to external HD whether I'm using PC or laptop. Then copy from ext HD to the other computer. Not only is it a PITA doing + I sometimes forget + all this overwriting stuff makes me nervous...one mistake could really mess things up.

Why doesn't VDJ have option to store playlists, filters, history etc also on external HD? (Devs, please add this!)

What is best way for me to store all the changes on external?
Will it be a case of using auto-file-sync software to detect my external HD connected and automatically copy any changes to external drive?

Thanks for any tips.

geposted Sat 03 Dec 22 @ 11:58 am
You can "force" everything to be on an external drive if you wish.
You need to copy your Documents/VirtualDJ folder to the external drive and then set the "HomeFolder" registry key to point on the external drive location (on both PC)

The key you need to change is HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\VirtualDJ\HomeFolder

geposted Sat 03 Dec 22 @ 12:04 pm
I use this solution to sync across all my machines using a samsung portable SSD

I use Synchredible for my music / video folder then again for the VirtualDJ folder and everything is then kept up to date from the "master" PC

geposted Sat 03 Dec 22 @ 12:13 pm
PhantomDeejay wrote :
You can "force" everything to be on an external drive if you wish.
You need to copy your Documents/VirtualDJ folder to the external drive and then set the "HomeFolder" registry key to point on the external drive location (on both PC)

The key you need to change is HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\VirtualDJ\HomeFolder

Very nice, thanks a lot! :D

geposted Sat 03 Dec 22 @ 1:00 pm
djsh69PRO InfinityMember since 2018
Having a similar requirement in the near future …

How is this done on Mac ?

geposted Sat 03 Dec 22 @ 2:15 pm
It's not possible to have a custom location for the home folder on Mac.

geposted Sat 03 Dec 22 @ 3:09 pm
kradcliffe wrote :
I use this solution to sync across all my machines using a samsung portable SSD

I use Synchredible for my music / video folder then again for the VirtualDJ folder and everything is then kept up to date from the "master" PC

Thanks, might also try this approach and see which I prefer.

geposted Tue 06 Dec 22 @ 4:35 pm
Thanks for the recommendation @kradcliffe, was always after an app that could simply do a true up of the files.

I have always just copied the entire VDJ folder to the root of my ext drive and that seems to work just fine, together with a copy of my music. I then just copy the database file to root open it and do a find and replace of the drive letter of where the music is store.

geposted Tue 06 Dec 22 @ 5:00 pm
You may find you don't need to change the drive letter any more. VDJ should just pick up the new drive location assuming the file path is the same.

I keep my "home folder" on D drive using the registry hack above the same as the music so everything is replicated exactly on the D drive of all machines.

Using Synchredible you can also exclude any files or folders you don't want to copy across and it's totally seamless.

geposted Tue 06 Dec 22 @ 5:10 pm
I keep 2 Macs synchronized using iCloud Drive. I store the Documents folder and my audio files there, and have the “optimize Mac storage” option turned off, so that all files are always available locally.

This works well, and changes made on one machine are immediately available on the other. The only thing to keep in mind is to never run VDJ on more than one machine at a time. So, always exit VDJ on one machine before opening it on the other.

geposted Tue 06 Dec 22 @ 5:45 pm
In the end I decided to go for the file sync method, as if I forget to take external HD one day (bound to happen) then its not a big problem.

Synchredible seems really good BUT when VDJ is open it seems to lock the xml on the ext HD so it cant be overwritten (on changes) by synchredible:
Warning: "D:\Documents\VirtualDJ\database.xml" could not be copied to "Z:\VirtualDJ\database.xml".

Any windows users found a way around this? I've unchecked "HIGHSPEED" synchronization.

I'd rather the xml is copied in real-time-ish rather than after VDJ closes (sometimes hours / days later with risk of crash if laptop goes in to standby or battery runs out etc).

Thanks again

geposted Mon 19 Dec 22 @ 11:16 am