Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: Stems engine will not switch GPUs.
I tried contacting support, and tbh, I never will again - because your dude was quite rude to me.

But this is my issue - I have two cards, one an AMD Radeon vega 7 on-APU (the weaker card) and a GTX1650.

Unless I completely disable the APU chip in BIOS, it will not, no matter what settings I use (Low Power/High Power GPU) will NOT use the GTX card to create stems. I know it works to create them, because I can turn off the APU card and it works fine, but it will not use the NVIDIa card no matter what.

Now your guy got all snippy with me, but this seems pretty easy.... there should be some way to select, like from a list, like I dunno, the audio cards, what GPU, if you have multiple GPus the stems run on, but ... there isn;t and tbh, I would like it to use my good video card for this, it helps speed shit up, but I'm not going to reboot every time.

A few of my team members have RTX 3080's which should be fine, and are experiencing video/skin freeze slowdowns as well, that could be solved by choosing which card they use as well. The "use High power/low power GPU thing doesn't seem to change where the stems engine runs on either, like your dude insists it does. Its like "no, no it doesn't, for me and for a few others on my team that use VDJ.

And yes, I am generating them offline.

geposted Thu 15 Dec 22 @ 4:43 am
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
How much dedicated memory is listed in task manager for the vega?

geposted Thu 15 Dec 22 @ 5:06 am
Adion wrote :
How much dedicated memory is listed in task manager for the vega?

Not sure if this matters when I don't want it running on it at all. but when the stems run? all of 4g allocated

geposted Thu 15 Dec 22 @ 12:19 pm
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
For stems, VDJ assumes the card with the most dedicated memory is the fastest one.
It's a bit unusual that an integrated GPU has that much dedicated memory I think.

geposted Thu 15 Dec 22 @ 1:00 pm
Adion wrote :
For stems, VDJ assumes the card with the most dedicated memory is the fastest one.
It's a bit unusual that an integrated GPU has that much dedicated memory I think.

There's really no way to configure that, it takes 4G out of the system ram and dedicates it to the APU GPU. Technically they have the same amount of RAM, 4G on both the GTX and the Vega 7 - but it's defaulting to the Vega, this is why we need a very specific binding.

This isn't a showstopper, but it is SERIOUSLY annoying, and the support response was to be rude to me when I kepot trying to explain this problem in various ways that he didn't get, instead he came across as condescending to me. I just want it to run on my GPU not my APU in offline mode so I don't have to wait hours, and just half hours.

geposted Thu 15 Dec 22 @ 8:34 pm
and tbh, I've been using VDJ for almost 15 years now, I have rarely asked for support, I'm a hacker, and worked on FreeBSD at once point, I've always assumed a bit a a self support risk with VDJ because it's like flying a SR-71 vs Serato and Rekordbox's Cessnas (and TBH, Traktor's defunct paper airplane), but this isn't exactly something I can hack-fix myself and so tried to report it as being an issue. Nothing I do short of turning the Vega off (and I balance apps across the GPUs so I can get more out of this machine) will make it run on my GTX

geposted Thu 15 Dec 22 @ 8:40 pm
I got this to bind directly to my Nvidia GPU, but through going lower level to the NVIDIA control panel. So I can prep stems offline, and then return to the original behaviour for live streaming.

geposted Tue 20 Dec 22 @ 1:02 am