Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: home folder location + history.txt
303drPRO InfinityMember since 2011
Hi all..
I just updated to the newest verson (2023) and noticed it looks like the home folder is no longer located in the documents folder (on PC, win10)

It was traditionally located for examle on my PC at: C:\Users\bill3\OneDrive\Documents\
and the history text file (tracklist.txt) would be in the History diectory inside.

Looks like now the home folder is located in \AppData\Local\VirtualDJ and the history as well is inside there (ie: C:\Users\bill3\AppData\Local\VirtualDJ\History\tracklist.txt

I just wanted to confirm this is proper now for the location the history.txt file is placed, as it has cased issuesd with some 4rd party applications that use the history.txt file, and can no longer find it in it's old location.

Thanks.

geposted Mon 19 Dec 22 @ 2:06 pm
Yes and no
The new location is only used if VDJ can't find anything in the old default location - and therefore thinks it's a new installation and not an upgrade
It could be that you moving the oid default folder from /documents/virtualdj to an OneDrive subfolder is what is causing the new folder location to be used
Anyway...
You can check where the current VDJ home folder is by clicking this cogwheel:

geposted Mon 19 Dec 22 @ 2:14 pm
303drPRO InfinityMember since 2011
ah ok, so i had to do a reinstall of my windows 10 about 2 weeks ago, and re-installed VDJ on the fresh os, and that would explain the change then.

I guess (?) I can copy the home folder for VDJ from app data to documents, then edit the registry setting to point the home folder back to it's original loation then.

Will give that a shot and see wat happens.
Thx.

geposted Mon 19 Dec 22 @ 2:38 pm
303dr wrote :
ah ok, so i had to do a reinstall of my windows 10 about 2 weeks ago, and re-installed VDJ on the fresh os, and that would explain the change then.

I guess (?) I can copy the home folder for VDJ from app data to documents, then edit the registry setting to point the home folder back to it's original loation then.

Will give that a shot and see wat happens.
Thx.

Yes I believe that should work

geposted Mon 19 Dec 22 @ 2:55 pm