Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: Quick Filter (Difference Field) Clarification/Confusion
I noticed that Quick Filter buttons based on Difference fields (e.g. BPM/Key Difference) seem to use the Master Deck (and not the active deck) BPM/Key settings to do the comparison/filtering of songs in a playlist/virtual folder/filter folder.
You can use the following steps to confirm this:

1) Create a Filter Button based on a Difference field (e.g. BPM Difference <= 3 or Key Difference == 0)

Using BPM Difference as an example
2) Create a playlist/virtual folder/filter folder containing songs of a wide range of BPM (e.g. 80 BPM to 130 BPM)

3) Place a song with high bpm into the deck marked as master (e.g. BPM >= 125)

4) Select the newly created Filter button and go to the playlist/virtual folder/filter folder
The list should be narrowed to show songs within the BPM range difference

5) Place a song with a BPM that is far outside of that range (e.g. 80 BPM) into the another (non-master) deck, and make sure that deck is the selected deck (it should happen automatically on load with the default keyboard mapper)
The list does not update to reflect the new track's BPM - it stays matched to the first (master) deck

6) Deselect and reselect the filter folder button
The list does not update to reflect the new track's BPM - it stays matched to the first (master) deck

7) Manually set the deck with the new song as the master deck

8) Deselect and reselect the filter folder button
The list now reflects new track's BPM

This behaviour is unexpected (at least to me) because:
1) Creating a Filter Folder based on a Difference Field (BPM Difference/Key Difference) follows the active/selected deck not the master deck
You can try the above steps but using a filter folder based on BPM/Key Difference instead of creating a Quick Filter button
The Filter Syntax documentation states this for BPM Difference and Key Difference (see Mixing Filters):
https://www.virtualdj.com/manuals/virtualdj/appendix/filtersyntax.html

2) The Quick Filters documentation doesn't say explicitly what such a filter should use as its reference deck:
https://virtualdj.com/manuals/virtualdj/interface/database/search/index.html#quickfilter

It also links to the same filter folder examples/filter syntax page (which would suggest it should follow the active deck)

3) I though that the master deck is only used by VirtualDJ for Sync (BPM and Key) purposes.

Is this a Bug or no?

geposted Fri 30 Dec 22 @ 4:13 am
locoDogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
both filter types use masterdeck as reference, always have.

geposted Fri 30 Dec 22 @ 4:24 am
locodog wrote :
both filter types use masterdeck as reference, always have.

So I've just retried the Filter Folder example and double checked the deck settings...you are right, it too uses the master deck, so I must have missed the master deck selection in my trials.

While I do think that the current behaviour is very manual for my use case (hot swap/update for a song deck needs manual selection of master deck), I know that this behaviour most likely won't be changed, and I can experiment with adding masterdeck to the LOAD event.

However, could these be considered:
- Both the filter syntax and quick filter pages should be updated to say that the difference fields reference the master deck and not the active deck
I suggest this because the Track Info section of the manual ( https://www.virtualdj.com/manuals/virtualdj/interface/decks/trackinfo.html ) describes the active deck as the deck letter/number that is selected (which, by default, moves with song load), and it is a different thing from the master deck (which controls sync + by default doesn't switch on song load)

- If possible, the Quick Filter list can automatically refresh when a new master deck is selected.
Currently the Quick Filter button has to be deselected and then selected again to see the update

geposted Fri 30 Dec 22 @ 4:44 am
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
BPM/Key difference do use the active deck, unless you decide to manually select a master deck.
As long as no master deck is selected, the active deck is automatically determined.

geposted Fri 30 Dec 22 @ 9:47 am
Adion wrote :
BPM/Key difference do use the active deck, unless you decide to manually select a master deck.
As long as no master deck is selected, the active deck is automatically determined.

Could you explain how to disable the master deck selection?
It seems to me that everytime I start the application and load a song into a deck, that deck becomes the master once I hit the play button.

geposted Fri 30 Dec 22 @ 3:25 pm
locoDogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
pick a deck to be master [that turns masterdeck_auto off]

geposted Fri 30 Dec 22 @ 3:39 pm
locodog wrote :
pick a deck to be master [that turns masterdeck_auto off]

I will try this. Thanks to you and @Adion for all of the help.

geposted Sat 31 Dec 22 @ 3:40 am