Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: Limiter kicking in when i am no where near clipping
Hi
When i am mixing songs together on my flx 4 i have noticed that the limiter is kicking in when nothing is anywhere near the redlines . is there any reason why this is doing this . i have never encountered this issue before getting the flx4

geposted Sun 08 Jan 23 @ 9:05 pm
When you say the limiter is kicking in, what are you seeing or hearing that makes you think this is the case?

geposted Sun 08 Jan 23 @ 9:14 pm
sometimes i can hear the sound signal compressing( but not all the time ) and i'm the red limiter light flashing every so often when i have 2 tracks playing together even when the vu meters are as shown in the picture

geposted Sun 08 Jan 23 @ 9:16 pm
One can create a custom button w the script below:

get_limiter "master"

to make it easier to see then the limiter is being used.

And yes it easily possible that 2 tracks added together have higher master levels then each individual track, separately.

And at times tracks with a strong kick will trigger the limiter at for an instant, and of course one could adjust the zeroDB setting for more headroom and turn up the external amplification, for the same output volume.

geposted Sun 08 Jan 23 @ 9:42 pm
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
If 2 tracks are playing at the same time, usually the low EQ is used to cut the bass of one of the tracks so that you don't get the kick of 2 songs at the same time, which would indeed make the volume quite loud and possibly hits the limiter.

If it is your intention that during the mix the kick sounds much louder then you can use the zeroDb setting to add additional headroom.
Usually it will not be very comfortable for the listener to have a much louder volume during the mix however, so it's better to learn to control this using the EQ to make one track take over from the other track.

geposted Sun 08 Jan 23 @ 9:42 pm
Thanks for your suggestions
I have tried using zero DB for more headroom and normally i would cut the low eq when mixing but it was baffeling me how the VU meters was only going up to half way and the limiter started to kick in

Usually this would'nt happen unless the VU meters started redlining

I have noticed though that the FLX4 seems to have a higher output level than my other controllers so i'm wondering if that has something to do with it

geposted Sun 08 Jan 23 @ 11:14 pm
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
By default the vuMeter setting is set to 'power', which is good to show the current volume, but short peaks will not be shown as loud. If you set the vuMeter setting to 'peak', it will show the highest peaks in the waveform, which in this case would be more accurate to predict if some short peaks might hit the limiter when two tracks are combined.

geposted Mon 09 Jan 23 @ 9:58 am
okay i'll try it . i see they have just announced the officail support now so hopefully it might fix the limiter issue

geposted Mon 09 Jan 23 @ 1:54 pm