Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: Does VDJ really refer to drives by their hardware address - not a letter
jamez3dPRO SubscriberMember since 2019
PC - used to preparing and practising when Im at home. Music stored on drive D and external Z is removed from search DB. Then
-> copy all settings/playlists, folders, filters etc to ext HD Z:

Laptop - used for DJing out and about. Music is stored on drive D, duplicate file paths of PC to keep things identical. So after prepping on PC,
<- copy all settings/playlists, folders, filters etc from ext HD (Z) to laptop.

VDJ on Laptop is now messed up, there are duplicates of filters and other anomalies.
I have to remove drive Z from search DB as somehow it has miraculoulsly started showing tracks from Z again.

Does VDJ actually address drives by hardware number and not letter,
drive 0 would of course mean the first HD, etc, any devs know about this please?
This might explain why things are going wrong - PC has 4 HDs, laptop has 3. Thanks.

geposted Fri 20 Jan 23 @ 2:34 pm
I also replied on your other thread (please try to keep similar questions on one thread)

VirtualDJ for the most part ignores the drive letter completely.
That's in order to ensure that database is completely portable since the same drive may get a different letter on a different PC (or even on the same PC if the letter it had before is now occupied)

This rule applies in almost all aspects of the software.
For example if a playlist has D:\Music\2023\My Cool Track.mp3 VirtualDJ will try to load the file from D: drive. However if the file is not present on D: but exists on Z: (Z:\Music\2023\My Cool Track.mp3) it will load it from there.

Finally, "Remove from Search DB" action actually flags the files of the given DATABASE so that they won't appear on search. That however doesn't make those tracks "dissapear" from the software.

Generally speaking the design of VirtualDJ is made in a way that's drive agnostic, and in 99% of the cases it works very well.

If I understood your workflow well, then my personal suggestion is to switch it to this:
1) Prepare everything on home PC without "Z" drive connected
2) Close VirtualDJ
3) Sync the music library (files) from D: to Z: with a software like FreeFileSync by doing a "Mirror" sync
4) Sync the D:\VirtualDJ folder to Z:\VirtualDJ by doing a "Mirror" sync.
5) Copy the VirtualDJ "home" folder (usually "Documents\VirtualDJ") to a folder DIFFERENT than Z:\VirtualDJ. I prefer "Z:\VirtualDJ Home"
6) On the laptop repeat the steps 3 & 4 & 5 the other way around (Mirror from Z to D)
7) Disconnect Z drive
Enjoy..

geposted Fri 20 Jan 23 @ 9:19 pm
jamez3dPRO SubscriberMember since 2019
Thanks for your detailed reply. (I wasnt sure if they were the same issue hence creating 2 topics.)

I'll try this today, if you dont hear back then Ive forgotten to reply and it worked like a charm!

Thanks again

geposted Tue 24 Jan 23 @ 12:32 pm