Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: Delay when using VST effects in Stems
I was trying to get rid of a lot of reverb on a vocal by using Izotope's De-verb plugin, but noticed there was a huge delay between the rest of the sounds as soon as I switched it on.

I know it's not the cpu or ram as I'm running a 3950x and 64gb DDR4

Is there any way to resolve this?

geposted Fri 03 Feb 23 @ 6:22 pm
No, not likely.
Remember, a lot of those VSTs require large buffer of audio to do their thing.
So, it's not about processing power, but the need to "read ahead" a lot of time to determine what to do.

That's true with many iZotope plugins.
For instance I have used Ozone many times on master output of VirtualDJ for some projects of mine.
Everything is good, until you try to load several "modules" at the same time. It starts having a noticeable delay, not because the CPU or VirtualDJ can't cope, but because the program needs to feed the buffer to many modules sequentially. So, the more modules, the more extra 5-10ms of delay (buffer) you add, until it becomes noticeable.

geposted Sat 04 Feb 23 @ 6:45 pm
Thanks for the info.

That might be a feature worth investigating: gating or de-reverbing for stems

geposted Thu 09 Feb 23 @ 8:21 pm
Gate might be usefull.
However, I don't think removing reverb will do much good. Remember, these are not clean vocals with some reverb added. These are AI extracted vocals. So, IMHO the "reverb" helps "mask" some artificial artifacts that may be left from the AI extraction. Removing it, would likely make the result much worse.
But that's just my honest opinion!

geposted Fri 10 Feb 23 @ 9:52 am