Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Wishes and new features

Topic: Stereo to Mono, and back again
would love to have a plugin that would collapse the stereo image down to mono, and then widen it back up again to full stereo. A simple fader would go from one extreme to the other. Ideally, you could start in stereo, gradually move to mono over a few measures... and then disengage to jump back to full stereo... ;)

geposted Mon 10 Apr 23 @ 5:38 pm
in custom buttons, set mono_mix, it will mix to mono output

good luck

geposted Wed 12 Apr 23 @ 1:41 am
well what I'd LIKE is to slowly collapse the stereo image, not go to zero with a button push. But Ill check out this suggestion.. Thanks

geposted Wed 12 Apr 23 @ 9:52 pm
locodogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
It's a plugin I could make,
interpolated over a dial between source & (sum/2)
sum has choices to it; L+R, L-R, R-L
you could even get weird, switch reading +- values as actual +-, or invert one of levels to avoid cancellation, you'd have to be careful not to introduce DC

I'm not sure it would really be that transformative at least not in a consistent sounding way. Most likely the dial would be
0 = source stereo
100 = sum mono
in between = ???
it might work if you're into glitch, abstract hiphop or breakcore, music were getting weird it the part of the thing.

I could make it, it can do the maths, but I couldn't say you'd get what you imagine it should sound like.

geposted Wed 12 Apr 23 @ 10:28 pm
@Locodog:
While I know it won't sound anything special, if you ever enter the trouble to make it, I would suggest this:
50% -> Stereo
0% -> Mono Sum
100% -> Stereo Inverted (L->R and R->L)

Or (to ease maths a little)
0% -> Stereo
50% -> Mono Sum

I have a special case that I could use stereo inversion sometimes :P

geposted Wed 12 Apr 23 @ 10:49 pm
A no dial L-R swap, I could knock up in minutes, if that works? [*edit SBDJ's stereoMix already offers that]
dial version I'm not really motivated, [I run a mono stack] but "will code for beer tokens"

geposted Wed 12 Apr 23 @ 11:21 pm
I use a VST already to handle my case.
I was just saying that it could be interesting to do it that way if you ever decided to.
And the reason I suggested that (as a dial) is because at some point between normal and inverted, cancelation will occur. That will be an interesting effect for some cases.

geposted Thu 13 Apr 23 @ 12:00 am
PhantomDeejay wrote :
@Locodog:
Or (to ease maths a little)
0% -> Stereo
50% -> Mono Sum

this is EXACTLY what I had thought although didn't so far as channel reverse... but still I imagine using this over the course of several measures to get it to Mono Sum, then slamming it back to Stereo... you know... for the Big Part.

Am curious ... what VST plugin are you using? I did finally figure out how to use them (but am on a Mac, not PC)

geposted Tue 09 May 23 @ 9:48 pm
I think phantom was talking about l/r swap,
I made the plugin that changes from stereo to mono over a dial.
It's pretty average in results, the only interesting thing to my ears is subtractive mix, that can be quite interesting over wide stereo sections.

geposted Tue 09 May 23 @ 10:48 pm
Aaaannnnddd is your plugin publicly available? I'm not so interested in the L/R swap, just the ability to go from Full Stereo, then to Full Mono... and back again... slowly...

geposted Wed 10 May 23 @ 2:23 am
no not public but check your pm's

geposted Wed 10 May 23 @ 2:55 am