Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Wishes and new features

Topic: New ZeroDB option
Hi,

Please , new ZeroDB option to avoid new DJ level errors....

Set default ZeroDB option by default to - 6dB instead 0db. (0dB is to high and even TIDAL, APPLE music player doesn't use such high level without Heardoom)

Other DJ software have -6dB or -9 dB of headroom per Channel by default to avoid DJ level mistake or CLIP. (For example RKB is -9dB)

I've discover this in Virtual Dj, Autogain work well :
Zero dB at 0dB + autogain = -10/-11 LUFS integrated (CD / Spotify loud - can clip quickly with FX)
Zero dB at -3dB + autogain = -13/14 LUFS integrated (like Youtube/Tidal Loudness/Spotify standard)
Zero dB at -6dB + autogain = -16/-17 LUFS integrated (like Apple music Loudness)
Zero dB at -9dB + autogain = -19/-20 LUFS integrated (near EBU 128 S2 -18)

And add if autogain is on the LUFS Display information (Theorical and mesured in live while playing) on GUI or OPTION depend on ZeroDB Headroom choosen.

DJ have to know integrated LUFS and Headroom :)

I set VIRTUALDJ 2023 at -6 dB of Headroom, is more safe. (-3 dB is good too)

Regards,

Olivier

geposted Sun 07 May 23 @ 11:04 am
So you don't want a new option?
You just want a new default?

geposted Sun 07 May 23 @ 11:23 am
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
The default of 0dB is actually chosen because it will be close to how loud average tracks are recorded, so VDJ will sound similar to other audio players.
I compared to Tidal, and actually VDJ is even a little bit less loud compared to Tidal.

For most users, I also think that it's actually preferred that you get a bit of compression if you use effects on top of that, or mix 2 songs without taking care of creating some more by removing bass on one track.
Think about it, if the song is at normal listening level, do you really want to deafen the audience by using an effect or adding 2 songs together?
If you are experienced there might be times where you indeed want that, and in that case you can change the zeroDb option, but most of the time you probably don't want that, and a bit of compression is probably preferred.

geposted Sun 07 May 23 @ 11:32 am
I use -1 and it almost perfectly matches the volume on the standalone player of my MCX8000. It's great I can swap from VDJ to engine seamlessly with no change to the volume.

geposted Sun 07 May 23 @ 12:27 pm
Adion wrote :
The default of 0dB is actually chosen because it will be close to how loud average tracks are recorded, so VDJ will sound similar to other audio players.
I compared to Tidal, and actually VDJ is even a little bit less loud compared to Tidal.

For most users, I also think that it's actually preferred that you get a bit of compression if you use effects on top of that, or mix 2 songs without taking care of creating some more by removing bass on one track.
Think about it, if the song is at normal listening level, do you really want to deafen the audience by using an effect or adding 2 songs together?
If you are experienced there might be times where you indeed want that, and in that case you can change the zeroDb option, but most of the time you probably don't want that, and a bit of compression is probably preferred.

Tidal with normalize option on is -14 integrated LUFS, louder if no normalize option. (it's not a classical normalize it's a LUFS settings to have the same perceived volume for all track, like autogain in DJ software)

So, ok, you prefer Zero DB at 0 :) by default

I think -3dB is more safe. (Pioneer choose -9db for -18 LUFS per channel before mixing...... in RKB)

But anyway, VirtualDJ sound great at 44100 :) and pitch quality at 4 and scratch quality at max 30. (should be set by default : 4/30 - stems use more CPU+GPU anyway :) )
Better audio/pitch/stems engine than Serato :)

Thanks for quick answer and incredible support.

On MAC ARM M1/M2.... , VirtualDJ is fast, stable and perfect. (ARM native)

Regards,

Olivier

geposted Sun 07 May 23 @ 2:51 pm