Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Wishes and new features

Topic: VDJ Timecode (MTC / LTC) Output
We need a feature that allows to have Timecode output (MTC or LTC).

I would need Midi Timecode and not a Midi Clock. I need Timecode from each track like the software Showkontrol does to be able to sync to the Timecode in grandMA2 and control the lights (or even Video software like Resolume).

At the moment this very important feature is missing in VDJ and it could be useful for many people.
Rekordbox got it too in a recent update so why not implement it also in VDJ.

I hope this feature would be possible as internal feature (or as plugin).

geposted Wed 28 Feb 24 @ 9:22 am
VirtualDJ already has Ableton Link, which you can use to sync Resolume. Does grandMA2 not have Ableton Link?

Alex Flammang wrote :

Rekordbox got it too

Is that Pro DJ Link (separate software) at 65 Euros per month?

geposted Sat 02 Mar 24 @ 2:15 pm
locoDogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
I did a SMPTE thing for a few clubs in texas, a long time ago now, it was an odd setup. I more or less made a stems_split like deck function without the stems [this was ...2016...?] , deck 3 & 4 carried the tone and whatever happened on the above decks [position wise] happen on the below, and he put that out to his lightshow machine as audio.
Not sure how I'd do it now.

geposted Sat 02 Mar 24 @ 4:00 pm
groovindj wrote :
VirtualDJ already has Ableton Link, which you can use to sync Resolume. Does grandMA2 not have Ableton Link?

Hi, no grandMA2 does not have Ableton Link. Ableton Link is just for beat, phase and tempo syncing and has not time syncing with offset. You can use Ableton Link with resolume to sync up the beat but the goal in grandMA2 is not to sync any beat but to sync with a lightshow timeline that was timecoded.

In detail when I would loop in VirtualDJ, that exact timing in timecode would also loop and so will the timeline in grandMA2. Timecode is used for preprogrammed lightshows so it is all synced up with what you programmed in grandMA2.

I would really need MTC and/or LTC in VirtualDJ, there is no other option.

Here is a video that shows how the system works with ShowKontrol: https://youtu.be/IWVZ4RsZjUE
So instead of having an CDJ3000 and connecting it via ShowKontrol software I would simply need an option to do it all in VirtualDJ, that outputs Timecode.
Simple as that.

geposted Mon 04 Mar 24 @ 12:28 pm
Ah, but Showkontrol is not free. Neither is the Pro DJ Link software.

Have you not seen the Showcockpit software? I found that when I did a search before posting my initial reply.

This kind of pro timecode use is probably too niche to be included as a standard feature in DJ software (hence the extra software and pricing above) so in the same way that full DMX lighting is not embedded, you'll probably have to find a third party solution.

[EDIT] I've just found a post from locodog regarding MTC from a few years ago. I'd suggest dropping him a PM.

geposted Mon 04 Mar 24 @ 1:00 pm
Forgive me for being dumb but are you wanting the LTC as actual noise, [something you wire in to another bit of Hardware] or are you wanting it passed software to software?

I might be able to do both [after a crash course on resampling]
I'm not seeing anything about API with grandMA2

geposted Mon 04 Mar 24 @ 1:08 pm
groovindj wrote :
Have you not seen the ShowCockpit software? I found that when I did a search before posting my initial reply.

Yeah I know this software as I have it but it only can transfers beats (AbletonLink > ShowCockpit > GrandMA2) but no timings.

locodog wrote :
Forgive me for being dumb but are you wanting the LTC as actual noise, [something you wire in to another bit of Hardware] or are you wanting it passed software to software?

I would need MTC so software to software as I use an grandMA2 onPC Wing with the software on a PC. But LTC would also be useful if you need to connect to grandMA2 Hardware.

Technically it would be doable to program it for VirtualDJ to simply have a timecode timing for each track and when you would prepare a playlist for examble to modify timings and time offsets for each track.

geposted Thu 07 Mar 24 @ 3:49 pm
I'm looking at grandMA2 onPC now and what's required for MTC with C++

BUT remembering what I was paid in 2016 and what's being charged now, we'd be talking serious money.

geposted Thu 07 Mar 24 @ 4:48 pm
Would it be possible for now just to output the Elapsed Time of a track as MTC in VirtualDJ?

geposted Sun 24 Mar 24 @ 2:07 pm