Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Does anyone know...

Dieses Thema ist veraltet und kann veraltete oder falsche Informationen enthalten.

Does anyone know...

....whether a recording program exists which automatically & in real time adjusts the recorded (line-in) signal in function of the incoming signal strength ?

My experience when recording a mix with AtomixMP3 (even with the Auto Level option "on") is that signal strength varies a lot, leading to variances in volume.

Rgds,

DJ Corpse

geposted Sun 11 Nov 01 @ 5:28 pm
Yan-XPRO InfinityHonorary memberMember since 2003
Why don't you normalize your mix AFTER have recorded your set ?

geposted Sun 11 Nov 01 @ 9:08 pm
my understanding of normalising is that you set the normalised % (say 98%) and then it finds the highest peak (say 80%) and then scales all the data so that the 80 is now 98 and everything is scaled by the same ratio.

if one or two tracks in the mix are quiet, they'll still be quiet in the normalised mix.

i use enveloping in cool edit 2000 (or any other wav editor) to shape the quiet sections. start the envelope on the quiet section at 100%. over the next few seconds of data curve it up to 120% or more. then in the last few seconds of the quiet bit (before it gets loud again), curve it back to 100%... quiet bits all gone

another way to keep all your tracks sounding the same is to use compression (companding?) below is an excerpt taken from "Audio Effects FAQ - Mike Currington, March 1995"

Most wav editors will have this function, although I wouldn't recommend it myself

Al

A compressor reduces the volume of loud sounds and quiet sounds are increased in volume. This results in a much more even volume level, although care must be taken or elese everything will be at the same volume.

Like gating there is an element of time delay so that a sound with a rapid "attack" (like a snare) will still sound dynamic.

Compression is applied to almost all radio stations (to cover hiss??) and most pop music (to a lesser extent) so that your stereo is not damaged by transient signals. Despite these frowned upon practices, compression is very useful when recording vocals so that the singer does not have to sing at the same volume all the time :-)

geposted Sun 11 Nov 01 @ 9:22 pm
Have you tried LAPS Audio? I've never used it myself but it has noise reduction and also allows for increasing the power of the signal and saving to a wave file.

geposted Mon 12 Nov 01 @ 8:56 am
I record to a minidisc deck... and it has auto level *grin*

geposted Thu 15 Nov 01 @ 6:38 am

(Alte Themen und Foren werden automatisch geschlossen)