Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: AAAARRRGRGGRGRHAAHGR!!!!!! (The sequel)

Dieses Thema ist veraltet und kann veraltete oder falsche Informationen enthalten.

DJ OmniHome userMember since 2001
Maybe some of you remember my post about two weeks ago about my cat eating the wire of my Sony MDR-V700 headphones.

Just as if I needed it, my hard drive containing both AtomixMp3 and 20 gigs of MP3 just died this morning. Weee! I'm sooo happy!!! Just to make it better, I've got a gig this friday. I guess I'll be working day and night all the week to get a decend MP3 collection before friday.

DJ Omni
http://www.productionsomni.com

geposted Tue 01 Jan 02 @ 4:33 am
DJ RickPRO InfinityMember since 2003
What a terrible nightmare! I finally got a 100 gig drive for the desktop to back up the 80 gig drive that I carry.... I couldn't imagine what it'd be like to lose my entire mp3 library... UGH!!

good luck man! I hope it all works out.

Rick

geposted Tue 01 Jan 02 @ 8:12 am
There are many places where you can take a defunct hard drive to have all the data on it recovered and put onto a new drive, why not do this?

geposted Tue 01 Jan 02 @ 2:36 pm
I've called Drive Savers (http://www.drivesavers.com) and the minimum charge is 575$ (and convert that in my canadian money...), so it's not an option(it is about half of my monthly income). Locally, where I live, I don't know of anybody who would do this.

However, what I'll do is buy an identical hard drive and do it with a friend of mine who did this already with success. We'll take it apart and get the data on to a new drive. Meanwhile, I've gotten my hands on a new 40 gigs and started re-building my collection with a few CDs and a lot of downloading. I've got about 3 gigs (had 18). I guess I'll be ok for friday's gig, but I still have a lot of work do to. Good thing I work at a computer shop, I can get the parts I need for cheap.

Actually, the MP3s were not my main concern. The worst thing is that I've lost 5 years worth of documents and data. I had lots of documents (a few hundreds), including songs that I've written and music recordings(original creations, so I can't find them anywhere). I have a few backups but I'm really hoping on getting that data back.

DJ Omni

geposted Tue 01 Jan 02 @ 3:44 pm
Oooops, forgot to log on.

geposted Tue 01 Jan 02 @ 3:45 pm
Damn!!!! it sucks to be you!!! :(
Get a CD Writer!!!!!! All my mp3s are backuped... it's serious!!!

geposted Tue 01 Jan 02 @ 5:59 pm
That's IF you have the patience of ripping up to 40 CD's !!!
(Unless you back it up little by little)

geposted Tue 01 Jan 02 @ 11:21 pm
Yan-XPRO InfinityHonorary memberMember since 2003
the real problem for me is to short all the files before backup as I Rip about ten audio cds per week

I have more than 3 GB late !!!!

geposted Wed 02 Jan 02 @ 1:19 pm
sketchPRO InfinityMember since 2003
My collection is nearing on 25Gig and yes backing up is a task on CD but well worth it. I now do an update CD at least once a month and thats Ok. I almost expect the hard disk to crash, due to sods law!

Cheers
Dan

geposted Wed 02 Jan 02 @ 8:07 pm
mamaPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Why CD? I have a changeable HDD (sic?) in my system. Every week all my data is backed up on this disk and the HDD then is stored in my desk. So if my system crashes, my data is save. This solution costs about 100$ with a 40GB HDD.

geposted Wed 02 Jan 02 @ 11:04 pm
sketchPRO InfinityMember since 2003
You might think I'm nuts, but I keep a set of CDs out of my house as well in case my house burn't down or summat. At least then I still would have my tunes. Thats one definate advantage over vinyl!!!!

Dan

geposted Thu 03 Jan 02 @ 12:47 am
I do have a CD-Writer and a few MP3 CD Backups. However, I'm still pretty far from my 20 gig collection. What I'll do is get another hard drive to back them up. It is by far the fastest solution. I know that a hard drive can't last forever, but I(and probably a lot of people) tend to put back some important things, like doing backups. I guess I'll be a bit more careful in the future.

DJ Omni

geposted Thu 03 Jan 02 @ 2:21 am

(Alte Themen und Foren werden automatisch geschlossen)