Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Anyone got a spare £4000..... Read on.....

Dieses Thema ist veraltet und kann veraltete oder falsche Informationen enthalten.

First of all, I'll tell you why the article below caught my eye. Although Atomix is very good, I still prefer mixing with vinyl, I like having my hands on the music, being in full control of it.

I was thinking the other day that I would like to buy around 100 tunes on vinyl that I've heard lately and are extremely good, but the cost is phenomenal. The thing is, I have these tunes as mp3's, but of course, to play them, I must use Atomix instead of my beloved vinyl. So, I thought, wouldn't it be great if I could cut these mp3 tracks onto blank vinyl...Just a pipedream... or so I thought...

"DJ equipment manufacturers Vestax caused shockwaves at this week’s Plaza sound equipment trade fair when they revealed a prototype model of their new home vinyl-cutting lathe. Due for release next spring, the Vestax machine is the first new vinyl cutter to be released for over twenty years and could have a huge impact on the 12” dance market. The lathe works in exactly the same way as a lathe in a professional cutting house, using a diamond cutter to scratch grooves into the vinyl. At a predicted £4000, the DiY vinyl-maker doesn’t come cheap, but there will no doubt be plenty of people prepared to pay for the privilege of cutting their own dub-plates and acetates. At present there are only a handful of cutting houses offering such facilities or indeed cutting vinyl at all, but the Vestax cutter should provide a welcome shot in the arm for the vinyl market, as well as taking the bedroom production revolution to its logical conclusion. What with CDRs, MP3 and now DIY vinyl, it seems to be getting easier than ever for bedroom producers to get their music out there, all of which leaves us asking ‘why the hell didn’t someone think of this before?"

Now, the only problem is...where do I get £4000 from? For that amount I could buy new decks, a funky mixer, an amp and speakers so powerful I could DJ in the UK and be heard in Ibiza and my 100 vinyl's... Oh well.

MiXmAsTeR

geposted Thu 03 Jan 02 @ 2:03 pm
old story, vestax has hyped their cutter for some years now. about time for them to finally release it..

also those 'blank vinyls' aren't any ordinary vinyls according to my knowledge, but very expensive special vinyls which aren't so long either so it costs 2-4 times the original vinyl to put the same songs from mp3 to the special blank vinyl..

geposted Thu 03 Jan 02 @ 2:15 pm
mixmaster you've been living in a cave if this is the first you heard of that btw;=)

geposted Thu 03 Jan 02 @ 2:16 pm
Not the first I'd heard, but the only substantial thing I'd read about it, other than rumours. Vestax had been considering producing such a machine for years, but it didn't look as though they would go ahead with it, so I was surprised to learn it was actually going to be released soon.

As to your 'living in a cave' comment, first of all, log in and say your piece. Secondly, don't put silly 'smilies' after an insult, it doesn't help, idiot ;o). See? Thirdly, not many people would give a damn about a £4000 vinyl cutter so wouldn't actively search for information on it. Maybe you read it in a DJ magazine that I don't buy, and therefore assume everyone knows about it and that it's old news...?

Hey, did you know they're coming closer to understanding the quantum principles behind zero point energy? NO?! You must have been living in a cave, man, everyone knows about that, just do a search on the net. Would you like fries with that?

geposted Thu 03 Jan 02 @ 3:35 pm
One thing I forgot to mention was regarding the price. I don't know where you got the 3 to 4 times the price of ordinary vinyl singles from for the blank vinyls, maybe you read it in a cave? In fact, the blank vinyls are made from a special type of plastic that is very hard-wearing, apparently lasting around 90% of the time as normal vinyl. It is to be priced at about the same amount as a single on vinyl, in my country about £12. Considering one could put 4 mp3s on that piece of vinyl, I don't consider the medium to be too pricey, only the machine itself would require a mortgage.

My post was meant for information purposes, information for the people who very likely know nothing about this. Since you are light-years in front of everyone else and know all about the Vestax cutter (apart from the fact it is now being produced...seemed to have escaped your eagle eye), you have no need to even read my post, let alone comment on it.

There will be only a small percentage of people who have any interest in this topic, this is for them. The other 99% of people do NOT have to read....simple.

geposted Thu 03 Jan 02 @ 3:42 pm
Ummm I think I'll pass anyways. Sure mixing with vinyl is a hell of alot more fun but with 4000 pounds, I would take the mother load of new equipment and stick with CDs and MP3s.

geposted Thu 03 Jan 02 @ 6:00 pm
OK, sorry i did not log on but it does not seem to be working.

Here is some food for thought, somowhere out there is a vinyl emulator for mp3, its a set of decks that have the same touch and feel, but through a computer they manipulate mp3 I ve seen this lurking about and I know somebody is actually doing gis with this. I no this is not atomix related but just thought I'd say.

PS I will alway stay with atomix as i need to mix with my eyes as well as my ear as Im deaf. Using the decks I have to pick up bother channels in one ear, which is confusing. With atomix I can read the music ahead.

Dan (Sketch)

geposted Fri 04 Jan 02 @ 9:32 am
The product Dan speaks of is called final scratch. You can check it out @ finalscratch.com

The Goner

geposted Fri 04 Jan 02 @ 6:40 pm

(Alte Themen und Foren werden automatisch geschlossen)