Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: old skool scene vs nu skool

Dieses Thema ist veraltet und kann veraltete oder falsche Informationen enthalten.

alright kiddies.. i've got a question for anyone willing to answer. Now, i'm not exactly old (24) but old enuff to have noticed a HUGE difference from when i got into house and techno from how it is now. I started gettin' into around 96 when it was still pretty underground in the clubs i went to.

Now i'm not talkin' lame little top 40 bootie grindin' clubs. I'm talkin' hard hittin', bass poundin', strobe light goin' crazy to the beat club. Talkin' packed wall to wall people dancin' like there's no tommorow and like this is the last track bein' spun and you ain't leavin' till an hour before sunup club. Talkin' the everyone does their own thing, everyone is welcome, noone carin' who goes into the breakin' circle, no lamers, your home away from home club.

The people were beyond cool, vibe was way strong, music wasn't shit.. and the scene wasn't cluttered with preps, jocks, and trash. I'm talkin' pre glow sticks, pre big pants, pre visors. anyone feelin' me on this? yes yes, i know.. this is a forum for atomix.. of wish i wholeheartedly support and own and am awaiting 2.1 just that i got into a discussion with someone about this a little bit ago. this person just got into all this like maybe 2 years ago. i tried to explain that compared to back in the day it just ain't even CLOSE to being the same. Don't get me wrong, i'm not knockin' what there is now. To me it's sad that it only is what it is right now.. and to me it just pales in comparison to when i was 17 and 18. Now i'm talkin' about in the U.S. i don't know how things are goin' in the other countries. Anyone got any opinions or just think i'm full of shit? it's all good to me.

geposted Thu 14 Mar 02 @ 6:58 am
I think you're just getting old :-)

Right now I'm living the same life when you were 17 and 18 (I'm 19 now). Things change as you get older and it gets harder enjoy newer and better things. I look at my oldest brother (26 years old) and all he complains about is how everything changes for the worst. It's not always like that.

I'm from Toronto, Canada (The used-to-be Rave capital of North America), to let you know.

Dave.

geposted Thu 14 Mar 02 @ 7:27 am
yeah i gotcha dude.. it very well may be i'm just gettin' old. I always did love and always will love the music. could just be the natural progression of things or maybe things really are lackin'. i'm just gettin' other people's views. i've talked to a lot of my friends.. all of us went thru it together at the same time and we all pretty much have the same views on it. i figure this is a forum.. so i'm just real interested in what other people have to say.. even if how they view it is completely opposite of how i do. i mean that's what it's all about ain't it? who knows.. maybe i shouldn't write posts so late at night :)

geposted Thu 14 Mar 02 @ 7:39 am
the bpm in those days was higher i think, that was the difference... But of course there were also just many more hard hittin' tracks produced, so automaticly there were more good tracks... Now there are many more genres within the dance scene, like trance and club so on. I don't mind, because i like trance and club a little more. On club i think it is easier to dance on than the music you describe.

geposted Thu 14 Mar 02 @ 3:29 pm
Even if I was'nt there (i'm mean in this music stream that is 'techno') at the time you spoke about, I can understand you...I dance most of the time in clubs :-( (Paris), where you can sometimes find very good music :-)... but people there don't share any vibration, any energy! Only expose themselves...so dancing the way I (we?) like is turning to be a very lonely pleasure....anyway, i'm sure you can find some good music, either can you build it yourself ;-)... and find other 'old' guys like you to party until people change their mind...It should take a long time, so great!, you won't stop dancing....:-))

keep the vibe!

tom

geposted Thu 14 Mar 02 @ 4:41 pm
crundlePRO InfinityMember since 2003
I'm 31 now and used to go clubbing and raving way back in '86...... everything was fresh and new to me and so it was more of a buzz everytime I went out. 16 years later, it isn't so new anymore, and it takes something pretty awesome to give me a buzz like I used to get. Point being that the new school people now, will be old school themselves before too long, so don't get caught up in all of this new vs old stuff, but just enjoy the scene you have inherited from those before you, and make of it what you will....
There are some kicking tracks out at the moment, and no matter when it was made, good music is still good music!
I remember going to raves in '90 and seeing people who were way older than me there, who were well old school back then, and I did my little bit to make the scene better by just making the most of what was available at the time.
-It's your scene, direct it-
peace =))

geposted Sat 16 Mar 02 @ 1:19 pm

(Alte Themen und Foren werden automatisch geschlossen)