Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Skipping problem

Dieses Thema ist veraltet und kann veraltete oder falsche Informationen enthalten.

harithHome userMember since 2005
I have just installed V2.1 in my PII laptop with win 98SE, but I notice that the song am playing skips every few seconds. Any suggestion why this is happening. By the way am using Creative Extigy external sound card.

geposted Tue 26 Mar 02 @ 10:07 am
nateHome userMember since 2001
interesting. Your the first person ive seen post much about the extigy. I've been wondering how this would work with AtomixMP3.

tell us a bit about your configuration:
a) CPU speed and laptop model
b) any additions or modifications youve done to the machine
c) any other USB devices you are using
d) if you are using a USB hub or anything like that
e) your sound configration in atomixmp3... 2 channel? 4 channel? internal or external mixing?

Check these things:

a) USB configuration - Check the BIOS to make sure USB options are set up properly (not sure about your specific model) and if you have other USB devices besides the extigy, remove them.
b) DirectX - go to www.microsoft.com/directx and grab the latest DirectX drivers for Win98.. should be 8-dot-something...
c) go to creative's homepage and grab the latest software for the extigy, just to be safe.
d) don't run other apps while your mixing - a pII laptop, from my experience, is pushing on the lower limits of power to get away with atomixMP3.
e) if you have other devices on the USB bus, or are using a hub, remove these

maybe try disabling the equalizer? not sure if that eats up CPU or not, but it seems it would.

One thing about the extigy, is it is really pushing the limits of USB. USB 1.1 is fairly slow.

When running the Extigy in two channel mode, there is enough bandwidth. If you are using 4 channel mode, you are more than likely forcing the laptop to compress the sound before it gets sent over USB to the extigy, thus (further) increasing CPU utilization.

The extigy, from the reviews and benchmarks I read, is very bad about CPU utilization - it's a CPU hog! It offloads alot of the work to the CPU rather than doing it on the soundchip because of it's external design.

So... who else is using an extigy? and in what configuration? having problems or running good?

-nate

geposted Tue 26 Mar 02 @ 10:37 pm
I have the Extigy equipped laptop (PIII-M, 256 Meg RAM, XP). I have no problems, and the sound is fine.

I'd like to eventually connect the digital out on my Fujistu's (laptop) soundcard to the digital in on the extigy and mix with the two cards. The Extigy is digitally connected to my stereo.

geposted Wed 27 Mar 02 @ 2:16 am
...that's a 1GHz Pentium III-M btw.

geposted Wed 27 Mar 02 @ 2:18 am
harithHome userMember since 2005
Thanks for your reply. My configurations are as follows:

a) Pantium II, MMX, 366 MHZ, 128MB RAM working on CLR UltraNote.
b) No additions or modifications with the exception of creative Extigy.
c) No other USB devices are connected
d) No USB hub.
e) Sound configration in atomixmp3... is 3D, internal mixing.

I had no skipping problems when I was using version 2.0.

Tried to disable many fanctions in the Atomix 2.1 but to no avail.

Anybody's help to resolve the problem will be appreciated.

geposted Wed 27 Mar 02 @ 10:17 am

(Alte Themen und Foren werden automatisch geschlossen)