Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Worn Out TCV

Dieses Thema ist veraltet und kann veraltete oder falsche Informationen enthalten.

djejPRO InfinityMember since 2004
I'm curious if anyone has worn out TCV and what happens when it's worn out. I know I have some other checkpoints to go with as I'm getting the ol' crackle in the mixer. I've gone through most so far. But my TCV is pretty beat up. The tell tale sign is that when music crackles the TCV signal drops. It's not that consistent...for example I can pull the record back after a TCV drop and crackle and play the same exact verse and it doesn't crackle. So I'm just curious what happens when TCV is worn out. I have to add that I had no problems with 2.06 and held off upgrading until just recently. I think it worked ok for a few days on 3.1 but I'm not positive if it correlated with the upgrade to be honest. Thanks in advance.

geposted Wed 17 Aug 05 @ 2:36 am
i asked the same question before, and no one said theres had worn out, its unheard of :)

geposted Wed 17 Aug 05 @ 2:54 am
Unheard of? That's crazy. Unless they are making records out of some new material I don't know about, records only last about 200 plays until they start deterioating noticeably. So I would imagine the TCV can wear out after a couple hundred plays as well. I suppose heavy scratching, backcueing and tonearm weight might also accelerate that.

geposted Wed 17 Aug 05 @ 5:02 am
well, when i asked, no-one had heard of any case of tcv's wearing out... tcv's arent like regular records, they may last much longer...

geposted Wed 17 Aug 05 @ 5:15 am
cstollPRO InfinityMember since 2004
No brennan, it's just that at the time you asked and even still, the TimeCoded Vinyl use, whether with VDJ or other products has not been around that long and it was hard to say.

As for a reply to the original post -- it's vinyl and you are rubbing on it with a rough surface ( the needle ), the vinyl will wear out at some point, and you maybe the first VDJ example.

How long have you had your TCVs and what is your usage level? Days per week? Hours per day?

geposted Wed 17 Aug 05 @ 5:32 am
I've had the TCV's for about 8 months. I use it 5 nights a week about 2 hours a pop. I have been consistently practicing scratching and beatjuggling. I use Stanton 500 AL's and have the tonearm weight heavy. I realize the timecode signal drop off could be software related but I've tried just about everything that everyone talks about. I used your TCV setting cstoll and I've even played around with the reactivity changing it from highspeed to rapid to normal. I've checked my grounds, etc.. I use the maya 44 usb and until recently never had any problems. My mixer is a 3 month old denon x300. I just figured I would ask about the TCV being worn out because mine really don't look to good. If they were a 12" vinyl I would actually think they are worn out. But the puzzling aspect is that let's say I hear the crackle and the signal drops from 100 to 30...I catch the TCV and bring it back to try and recreate and then it plays fine. That's the one thing that makes me feel like it's a setting/software issue. If the TCV were scratched in that spot I would think I could recreate the drop in signal over and over. Damn...this is annoying.

geposted Wed 17 Aug 05 @ 3:19 pm
acw_djPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2005
It seems the problem remains in some other point that isn't the TCV. Your needle is good? Is there some dust in the needle or the terminators of the cartridge?

I have to tell you, if use a heavy weight in the needle the vinyl will last less time. I recommend you to use one vinyl to do your scratch, and others to play your music to give them more lifetime. Use a needle to scratch (2.5 to 5 grams) and another to play music (1 to 1.5 grams). Use an antistatic product to wipe your vinyl before playing. If you let dust in the vinyl it will last less time too. If you get new TCVs wipe them with an antistatic product and then play them in a used needle (that works fine, not a useless one) ALL along until the Vinyl finish. Do it in both sides, and wipe it again and storage then. If you do this a couple of times, the vinyl will remains clean and CLEAR. Clean your TCVs before playing (Of course). The dust and heavy weight are the Vinyl enemies.

geposted Wed 17 Aug 05 @ 5:32 pm
This still sounds like a worn out TCV issue to me. I still see no information to suggest that TCV do not start to wear out after a couple hundred plays.

geposted Wed 17 Aug 05 @ 7:16 pm
hmm, looks like i need to go buy cleaner, are there any good ones you suggest?

geposted Wed 17 Aug 05 @ 7:36 pm
brennan11,.. buy a cleaner? Are you serious? Maybe you should consider purchasing your copy of VDJ before you get to far ahead of yourself with TCV, cleaners and whatnot. I think you'll be a lot more productive when you get your full copy of VDJ (ie; less time for postings), then once you get your TCV setup,.. you'll be happier still. You'll move from being a prolific forum poster to a prolific DJ mixer. Which is a good thing for everyone, including you.

geposted Thu 18 Aug 05 @ 12:05 am
no, im gonna buy the program first, but after i buy it.. anyone no a good type of cleaner

geposted Thu 18 Aug 05 @ 1:57 am
I figured I should put some closure on this topic. Thanks to all that helped. Here's what finally fixed this for me...and NO the TCV isn't worn out yet although I placed an order because I have to think the time is coming soon from the looks of them.

I had updated to the latest maya 44 drivers, 2.5.5, when the problem first arrived after upgrading to VDJ 3.1. Nothing was fixed. Last night I gave all the basics one more shot (regrounded to a different screw, cleaned the heck out of the vinyl, cartridge, etc.) and still had the problem. I decided to start from scratch with the Asio drivers. Rather then just doing a simple install, which says it removes old drivers, I decided to uninstall drivers. I uninstalled, rebooted the computer and then installed the drivers. Problem fixed :))))))

I don't know why but I hadn't uninstalled and rebooted on previous occasions. When you click install the wizard tells you it first uninstalls previous versions. I guess it doesn't. Anyway that's the closure on this issue. Thanks again.

geposted Fri 19 Aug 05 @ 2:50 pm
This is what drives me crazy about TCV. The need to re-install drivers all the time. What the heck is that all about? This is why I say the TCV/TCCD is so fragile. Last night I started VDJ and forgot to connect my Maya44 first. I get the ASIO error, not enough channels. I close VDJ and connect the Maya44 and restart VDJno luck. I reboot, connect the Maya44 and start VDJ, still no luck. I reinstall the drivers and everything works.

Why the heck am I reinstalling drivers all the time. This happens every single time I start VDJ with the Maya44 disconnected. Yes, I know what the fix is - DON'T START VDJ WITH THE MAYA DISCONNECTED. Yes, I know. I'll try,.. but if I do happen to start VDJ first,.. I don't want to have to reinstall the dang drivers every time.

Does anyone know why this happens? Is VDJ bungling up the driver install somehow?

geposted Fri 19 Aug 05 @ 10:42 pm
really, i have never installed a new driver with my delta 44, i use the one that came on the cd, works fine...

geposted Fri 19 Aug 05 @ 11:04 pm
apopsisdjPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2003
@djej and anewsome.
It is not virtualdj nor maya's fault. Its a known windows problem.
Just use ALWAYS the same usb port, the one that maya is installed.
If you change port, windows detect the card again and you need to reinstall again.
Only one installation/port is supported... you cannot install the card to all of your usb ports and swap between them (i tried that) Just mark/reserve a usb port for the maya.
The same happens to me with other usb devices i have, m-audio oxygen8, behringer bcf2000..., its windowzzz problem.

geposted Sat 20 Aug 05 @ 2:59 am
Dj XeoPRO InfinityMember since 2005
i have a pci multitrack audio system and have never had to re-install the drivers for it no matter how much i play with the ASIO settings or the WDM or the VDJ or anything its not a problem with virtual dj just a problem with windows assigning drivers for a device to a fixed device location not a device. This defeats the whole object of such a plug and play system and needs to be fixed, prahpas this thread should be pasted to microsofts bug fix forum :) :) :) :)

geposted Sat 20 Aug 05 @ 3:45 am
Just for the record, I understand the issue of moving the soundcard and it has always remained in the same port. That's not what occurred. What seemed to happen is that upgrading to the new Maya 2.5.5 driver didn't uninstall the 2.5 driver correctly. When I manually uninstalled the 2.5 driver and then reinstalled the 2.5.5 driver, the TCV signal problem disappeared. Anyway, thanks for the info on the windows problem. I also haven't had to reinstall the driver recently so I'm hoping that has disappeared as well.

geposted Mon 22 Aug 05 @ 4:50 pm
apopsisdjPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2003
Ok i'll try again...
Are you on a desktop pc ?
Most current motherboards leave the 5V power on the usb bus even after shutdown (for mouses and other usb s$hit..) This mean the maya is ALWAYS ON and when you start your pc
this causes some problems like"not detectect"
I fixed them by installing an on/off switch to the maya, its easy if you know how to solder, just open the plastic case and cut/connect at the litle red 5v power cable...
Then you can have it connected, and power on the switch only if you need it.
That's what i do, no problems since then.

P.S. Reading previous posts again looks like your problem is different from what i thought, but anyway my advice may help.

geposted Mon 22 Aug 05 @ 6:57 pm
Thanks apopsis..I use a laptop but if I continue to have problems I'll try to install the power switch, that's quite a creative idea. I'm about a week of no issues some I'm optimistic.

geposted Tue 23 Aug 05 @ 3:16 pm

(Alte Themen und Foren werden automatisch geschlossen)