Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Forum message Icons

Dieses Thema ist veraltet und kann veraltete oder falsche Informationen enthalten.

li125PRO InfinityMember since 2005
I like browing these forums here but I have problems with the forum Icons and lost track.
The disc icon with red center (new message since last) is mostly not visible allthough I'm certainly not have read the message. I onluy see black discs with or w/o hand. Sometimes the red centered disc is there on all posts on the first page, but when reading 1 message all others seems to have the icon with no red center together when getting back to the first page.
How exactly does this sytem work, do I need to login first?

Is there an other way to get back to list of other messages, after reading a 4 page post, instead of click Back 5 times?
And how or when does a message get the Flower icon (atomix) instead of Disc icon?

geposted Thu 22 Sep 05 @ 4:46 pm
In the upper right corner you have a navigation bar that will hopefully help you to navigate thru forums.

And the marking system works based on date you last read that forum.
Best way is to start reading from oldest post (on the bottom of the last page that has unread messages) to the 1st page and 1st post. Anyway this will mark some messages in posts as read even you did not read them.

But tagging every post for every user will eat a huge amount of database space. so i think the current state is good balance.

This "read" timestamp works for every forum separately.

geposted Thu 22 Sep 05 @ 7:57 pm
I know the use of the navigation bar, but also with this one it is not possible to go back to a search result. What I do; I search let's say messages about BPM; I get some results and want to read them 1 by 1. But I always need to use Back\back... to get back to search result and to continue with the others.
I don't see why tagging each message seperatly with a read mark will take up extra space. Other forums do this all the time, but the read info is stored locally as a cookie I guess.
Like it is now @ VDJ community the 'new message notice' is barely usefull.
I arrive at the forum, all messages are unread on the first page, I read one, come back to first page and they are all marked as read?!? I loose track of the read messages like that easily, a shame really, strange that no one else complains?

geposted Thu 22 Sep 05 @ 9:56 pm
acw_djPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2005
I read all the post (90% to be fair) and I start from the bottom of each to the top. When I don't want to read in one forum (let's say Greek, that I don't understand, and if you go there one day by mistake or just curious, the system put this forum as one of your current forums) I read the first post and all after that are marked read it as well.

I think is a better way to put some options to "mark all as read", "delete forum in your current forums group". Maybe in the near future, now isn't much trouble for all.

geposted Thu 22 Sep 05 @ 10:17 pm
mp3jrickPRO InfinityHonorary MemberMember since 2003
Once you get your forums all read and up to date, you can also just click "unread topics", and it will bring you right up current.

I always start at the bottom also, sometimes my interest peaks on a certain thread and I blow off others below it, so I miss some here and there.

geposted Thu 22 Sep 05 @ 10:54 pm
i personally use "open in new window" this way a don't have to go back.
In internet explorer just hold SHIFT while clicking the link.

I end up with few windows. WHen travelling home (Friday) or to work (Monday) i can read
it all offline in a train. But there are Many windows :-)...

When I want to respond i just add a topic in my favourites and when i arrive to a place with internet
a reply.

geposted Fri 23 Sep 05 @ 9:15 am
That's an idea worth to try Lopez. Especially the offline function of it.

geposted Sat 24 Sep 05 @ 2:32 pm
mp3jRick, where is that 'Unread message' button located to click? I don't find it.

geposted Sat 24 Sep 05 @ 2:36 pm

(Alte Themen und Foren werden automatisch geschlossen)