Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: help i got my first small gig coming up!!!

Dieses Thema ist veraltet und kann veraltete oder falsche Informationen enthalten.

you guys need to help me, i ve got my first small gig coming up and i know that i can realy well DJ trance an stuff at home, but what do i do if i stuff it up or something, also, does any one have any sugestions for a playlist??
any help would be great

geposted Mon 10 Oct 05 @ 11:29 am
djkhanPRO InfinityMember since 2005
Well - i guess your going to play for a dancefloor? Well general rule number one think backup - In spite of a fantastic program such as vdj. Keep an cd as an backup to play at the cd desk - just in case! make one with some tunes mixed so you could use it as a crash help - as mentioned JUST IN case! Test also the gain on the cd desk in front of your mix so you do not kill someone breaking the wall of sound!

Next:

Remember @ a nightclub there will be several peoples present. Remember that you will never get "everyone" love you. But you should of course - die in the try of it! lol! Another good thumb rule is to put yourself into the mind of the owners of the place, and try to think about what they generally accept as good music (and what they hate!) And adapt a little of the genre they might like(hate it!) in to their interest tooo.. Another thing is to scope the club in advance --- see what is the music theme they usually play - what do the regular guest's get served on a regular evening. What is the most played songs? Try to have the regular club guest's in mind.... When deciding song's. It doesen't mean you should'nt do your own stash, but be aware of the general style!

Remember you have a long night in head of you! Keep it real! Do not start to hard, keep an progression of 3 - 4 songs then do a kind of shift so it will be a variation. I've found some songs i keep in a folder named "in the between tracks" wich i'm putting in the between to variate. Then i start over again. Keep the crap songs at the beginning but be sure to put in one "hit" now and then (before 00.00 o clock) Decide a time you'r going to start doing things... etc at 01.30 starting building. Have the time as a guideline BUT important - look of course on the dance floor. R the people dancing? What kind of attitude do you see? remember that people need to get drunk to get loose! keep the style interesting but easy before 00.30 o clock. (they usually use this time to get drunk)

Then you do it! You begins gradually at 01.30 to lift it into a nice progression -- feel the crowd -- r they enjoying it? Do they dance? Do they get's off the floor? If they leave your to hard do early - if they stay but not begging you for anything (looking like they just do this --- no real interest in the dancing) to early -- wait -- let them get more drunk -- feel it with giving in on one semi hot tune! see if the floor catches up. Then if it do consider level it a bit up but do not overdo it remember long night

k
the bit hit!
people should now be drunk! You got most people out there! For the ultimate lift period you should practice home. Find the ultimate playlist! Practice to do stuff who is not expected ( in pratice ) try out speaking in the mic home get familiar to talk to the imaginable crowd! Do not ask anyone having fun and such be more informative --- tell the crowd how fun they r having! do not ask'em - tell'em! prepare in advance some good saying! but do not get stressed, remember it's the music and the fun people's there for!

So generally be sure to have fun yourself, if you have fun! You project this to your crowd! And its contagious!

General read the floor! increase intensity when people feel you -- and follow you! decrease when people seems tired and is falling of the floor. (decrease intensity for a moment) And look at the owners of the club's face in a while. Does it seems like he hate you? (turning read of breathing problems)Tune in some moderate piss crap song he likes. If it seems he has a good time do your Stuff!

Remember to project your own crazy party personality, Have fun! loosen up! Even get some beer to, (but do not get wasted - if so your guarenteed doing a crap job repeating your 5 last playlist songs all the time ;-) without knowing it. But everyone else knows it without you lol!!) ;-)

I'ts all in the mind!

Dj - Khan

geposted Mon 10 Oct 05 @ 12:46 pm
acw_djPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2005
Seany69,

Well Khan has told much to get a good performance.

When you have people dancing in the dance floor, then you start your session, when you have enough people in the club, or the people who is going to that club is almost all arrive, you could use the best setting to get the crowd loose (remember, they have to be already dancing to start this). I defer from Khan "the people have to by drunk to get loose". I don't have to wait to get the people drunk, when they start dancing I start my show. I want to keep it dancing and thirsty when they sit and let the club have more profits. After that I want to keep them dancing another while... It's a cycle. Drunk people are trouble people since they are drunk.

The main recommendation, enjoy your work and project your art.

geposted Mon 10 Oct 05 @ 5:39 pm
djbambiPRO InfinityMember since 2003
make sure to buy VDJ before the party, in case your demo version expires an hour before :)

geposted Mon 10 Oct 05 @ 5:51 pm
my name is clarence hervey i have been using vritual dj for a while what i do is when there is a few people in the club i open by playing mostly request bvut be care no to over do it certain kind of music such as a lot of rap and and spread it out then when the place get crouded i depend on the crowd if it's a yoiung croud i play a lot of the top ten plus request should get you through the night
and when i get to old school play sometrhing that was popular back then and mix with request this is not a set rule the people normally dicxtate yor music selection do not let request alter your plan

geposted Tue 11 Oct 05 @ 12:28 am
bagpussPRO InfinityMember since 2003
One way to do things, which I find effective (for commerical clubs, partys)

Sort music folder by BPM, start from the bottom and work your way up, and cycle this every 1-2 hours.

For example: Start a set at around 70bpm (R'n'B, Hip Hop, chill) and try to select and mix following songs by an increase of 1-3 beats per minute (BPM).., for example (song1=70bpm, song2 = 72.5bpm, song 3 = 74bpm etc etc)..

Continue this until you build up to somewhere around 140bpm, so you've gone from R'n'B to dance and hopefully hit on all the key styles in between, such as Hip Hop and House, when you get to around 140BPM you are at a great Tempo, because you can mix into R'n'B/Soul/chill really quite easily (70BPM = half value of 140BPM) if you pick your tracks right, This is the point in which the cycle loops and you start over with different tracks, It's a great technique as you are alternating between "floor filling" and "giving people a break", if you can balance the 2 and keep the timing right you should be a very profitable and fun DJ :).

NOTE: Don't mix every song that follows in bpm or you'll be mixing slow all night, select out certain songs, and purposly leave great songs for the next cycle, don't exhaust your secret weapons on the first 'attack', keep it consistent, a way to avoid exhausting your best material is to alternate between different time periods, for example song1= New release, song2= Classic song, song3= Recent hit and so on.

Lastly, This is just a methodical plan, it shouldn't be followed rigidly, you should strive to mix the right songs at the right time, consider requests and react to what the audience is telling you.

I hope you understand this as I intended to describe :).

And remember "proper planning prevents piss poor performance".

Have fun :).

geposted Tue 11 Oct 05 @ 1:14 am
chabonkPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Hey, try this to get a reaction from the crowd (need to coordinate this with the person(s) working the lights). Cut the music and the lights at the same time, wait 2-3 seconds (just enough time to make everyone starting thinking "what the F---??". With the lights still off bring in a high energy track with an intro that contains just bass. Soon as you get crowd reaction work the lights back in!

geposted Tue 11 Oct 05 @ 1:38 am
alrite, thanks guys..
so, in general i have to... plan ahead, observe the crowd, and time it right. oh and don't drop all the best tracks at once, build it up.. thanks a lot!
happy mixing ;)

geposted Tue 11 Oct 05 @ 3:39 am

(Alte Themen und Foren werden automatisch geschlossen)