Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: abnormally high cpu usage with visualizations....

Dieses Thema ist veraltet und kann veraltete oder falsche Informationen enthalten.

hey guys, I noticed a bunch of people were talking about how VDJ bogs down and sometimes requires arestart after a couple hours, well I noticed something the other day...

I leave my cpu monitor onscreen to see what's going on now, and I noticed that VDJ runs at 2% 99% of the time... when I load a song it hits 100% until the song finishes scanning, which is usually about 2-3 seconds, but for the most part, VDJ runs with virtually no CPU.

now when I enable the option to show visuals in the video menu, CPU goes up to 88% even when there's no music playing... This is an athlon 64 3300+ with 1 gig of ram.... 256 mb video 128 hardware / 128 shared..... changing settings doesn't change results.

why do visuals eat up 88% of my CPU power by simply being enabled?
I found that by disabling visuals, I have not needed a restart again.... I conclude that the visual module is just a pig. I can run winamp with the linerec plugin and run visuals with no more than 10% cpu alongside virtual dj. does anyone else notice the decrease in performance with visuals?

they seem to be incredibly consumptive..... I recommend that those who are having problems disable visuals, even if you don't have a viseo window open.... simply having the option checked eats cpu....

-Steve

geposted Tue 06 Dec 05 @ 8:45 pm
I wanted to see if I was having this issue, so I tried it. When I loaded my first video, the highest the cpu went was 53%, and then back down to 10 and below. That's with Task manager open and a mp3 playing, and online. When I loaded the next video, The highest it went to was 18%, and then back to 2 , 4 10%. Even when both videos are playing, I never go over 18%. Now I only know what is happening now, I never look at this otherwise. I did 15 hours yesterday, audio and video, and did not have a problem. My Specs; P4 3.0 g, ATI 9600 w/ 256mb, 1 gig ram, Wave terminal 192L soundcard, 3 WD internal HD, 1 60 and 2 120 gig. 1 200gig external. ASUS mb w/ XP pro sp 2.

geposted Tue 06 Dec 05 @ 9:34 pm
What type of video cards do you both have. I am building a system with numerous issues (not vdj) and there is a big difference if the clock speed of your video card is low. I current have an ati 9600 at 256 mem in my main system (pci socket) but am trying to upgrade to a 6600gt. My virtual mem gets eaten up with this card in and it slows down my entire system and uses up a lot of resources. The clock speed is triple in the 6600gt and runs much better expect i got a bum card (or at least i hope it was the card, i am still testing). You really notice the difference with the visualizations running around 15 % (pcie) vs the 70% with the ati card(pci). It is just a better card. kind of like having two cars with 8 cylinder engines but one has turbo and the other does not. I am told once it is up and running my system will fly. Can't wait to get the replacement card. Does anone else agree?

geposted Tue 06 Dec 05 @ 10:00 pm
I'm using an ATI radeon. you misunderstand what I'm saying.....

videos don't eat the cpu usage......

visualizations do.....

videos run at 10-15%... no problem there....

visualizations chow on my resources....

-Steve

geposted Tue 06 Dec 05 @ 11:03 pm
Yo Steve sorry about that misunderstanding. Just tried the visuals, and got the same results. You are talking about the visuals that run when the videos stop? The only thing that eats up cpu is the task manager. When I open, it hits 100% or close to it, and then goes down to normal. Which is about 18 for me. As for the video card, it's the same one you use, and it's in my specs from my last post.

geposted Tue 06 Dec 05 @ 11:54 pm
I've got the same problems as DJ Gio has. So they really should give they costumers the detailed specs you need to use VDJ before they buy wrong machines and video-cards. They told me to by a NVIDEA 5200 FX to use videos and visuals. And now? I need to upgrade my hole system to buy a pcie-video-card. Shit!

geposted Wed 07 Dec 05 @ 9:32 am
My card is a AGPx8. So a pcie may be ideal, but it is not needed. However, I am looking for a better card, based on the info I have seen on these boards. My problem is, my SFF box has a built in power supply that's only 300 watts. Most cards want a min of 350-400 watts. My next machine will have a pcie card, simply because it is the latest technology.

geposted Wed 07 Dec 05 @ 10:04 am
Dev staffHome userSenior staffMember since 2003
The visualisation requires the cpu to read and write a lot on a memory buffer that's located inside the videocard memory.
So depending on the videocard you are using, this can really eat a lot of cpu cycles waiting for the video memory to be loaded in the cpu cache and written back.
On the other hand, most of the music video decompression is done inside the video card GPU, so it doesn't have that problem.
That's why on some cards, using simple visualisation plugins can eat much more ressources than decompressing a fullscreen dvd music video.
We might add some work on this for v3.3, and detect if the reading/writting is too slow on video memory, in which case we'd automatically use a system memory copy. Maybe. ;)

geposted Wed 07 Dec 05 @ 10:29 am

(Alte Themen und Foren werden automatisch geschlossen)