Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Who???

Dieses Thema ist veraltet und kann veraltete oder falsche Informationen enthalten.

Who was the DJ that really got you interested in DJing? We always have someone that we idolized and wanted be like...Also add what city they were from...

For me it was The God Father of House Music...Farley "JackMaster" Funk.
Then it became "Fast" Eddie, Mike "HitMan" Wilson, Bad Boy Bill and most recently Too Kool Chris.

But even today Bad Boy Bill is still my all time favorite DJ. I get inspired by him at times.

All DJs were from Chicago.

MS

geposted Fri 06 Jan 06 @ 2:25 am
For me it was Bob Pantano & Hy Lit.

geposted Fri 06 Jan 06 @ 2:33 am
for me it was not the dj, but the experience..

the first time i went to a party with my elder sis, i saw the crowd going beserk and going through a lot of emotions.

and i said "i want that control over people"

the dj was this guy named Zubair and after that was this guy named Akbar... but the guy i want to emulate, at least at this level, and big props out to him, is DJ Yusuf Kapasi..

I am from Pune--> Maharashtra--> India and this guy just kills me everytime..

cheers

geposted Fri 06 Jan 06 @ 3:54 am
maddsound, what a trip. i am from chicago and i was there during the classic house sound explosion. farley, bad boy bill, all them cats were on the radio and i used to tune in to listen to mixes on the daily. i think the radio station was wbls back in the day. man that was a long time ago. some of those old farley tracks, bad boy bill. house nation,... these tracks still pump me up.

geposted Fri 06 Jan 06 @ 8:04 am
djbambiPRO InfinityMember since 2003
For me it was, starting in 92, the "second" generation of Chicago House DJs (Derrick Carter, Miles Maeda, Mark Farina...) and their Techno pairs across the lake in Detroit (Hawtin, Acquaviva, Craig, Bell,...).

Attentive studying of those guys and lotsa practice got my first residencies in Chicago in the mid-90s: Vinyl lounge, the Artful Dodgers, and the now defunct Shelter where I spun in 95-96, before leaving Chicago (the only place I have ever missed).

Clubs were ok, but for sure nothing matched the vibe Chicago house parties and I wanted to be part of this...

geposted Fri 06 Jan 06 @ 8:33 am
tury70Home userMember since 2006
For me,I t was TONY G from KDAY mixmasters of Los Angeles.

geposted Fri 06 Jan 06 @ 8:40 am
only ONE address done it for me, no Dj, although most of the residents there are smashing but one stands out from the crowd in hard house - SAM BOYLAN, and then over all (a little earlier in his day) but still part owner - MARTIN McHALE.

and the address ........................,

330 POINT ROAD, DURBAN, SOUTH AFRICA. -
(turns 17 years old this year).

interesting, topic though ! 330 is turning 17 years old this year with the same venue, same music, and stills pulls the crowds every saturday night till sunday morning, being the only day of the week its open.
any other clubs around you that are on par or exceed this small feat ?
(hopefully if all goes well ill be playing on the 3rd feb @ 330, for EMP Dance !!)

geposted Fri 06 Jan 06 @ 10:09 am
Hi
I agree coming out of Durban ,330 was the place to be,back in the beginning when u used to take your own booze with you,dont know if it still like that..Good luck with your gig spiderat 330 ... Up in Jhb there where some awesome clubs late 80'' early 90'' myself i used to enjoy playing Italo music
There where to many Dj artist to say who really inspired me.. as a young kid my parents always used to get me to play records at parties suppose thats what really pushed me in the direction i went.

Cheers graham [musicmatch]

geposted Fri 06 Jan 06 @ 10:22 am
little white labels with your name on !!!! mmmmmmm.............................. 330 has been there and back twice !

things are much different now, i even worked there as a barman for 9 months !!

geposted Fri 06 Jan 06 @ 10:37 am
yo
Worked as a barmen ,now u will be taking it too the next level ,spinning the tunes???
Like most clubs they have to change with the times ,not many stick around for 17 yrs, so they must be do something right..
That side of town by 330 is getting really jacked up.
Cheers musicmatch

geposted Fri 06 Jan 06 @ 11:33 am
djejPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Grandmaster Flash and Jam Master Jay were the two celebs that got me into turntablism stuff but the person who probably did more for me was a guy name DJ Devoe from Long Island, New York. He befriended me (my friend was the manager of the club) and gave me some tips etc.. He wound up moving onto to bigger things in NYC and I took over for him at the LI club. I basically followed him as he would put in a good word as he kept moving. Haven't seen or heard from him in 10 years but props to him.

geposted Fri 06 Jan 06 @ 9:19 pm
Anyone else???

@ Anewsome...it was WBMX and then WGCI

MS

geposted Sat 07 Jan 06 @ 5:10 pm
Hi all. There was one dj that i used to listen to A guy by the name of Emperor Rosko. Started on radio luxembourg then radio caroline and then radio 1. He was great and I thought if I could just be like him lol

nikki

geposted Sat 07 Jan 06 @ 10:31 pm
My cousin took me to a rave, Thomas was going for awhile and then was very exclusive no dj spinning trance/hardstyle with electro breaks. I was already a dancer since 4yrs in all types of genres. Am have lakota sioux so was taught to pow wow .. So rave dancing became very fimilar movements dancing as in traditional dancing.

Rave scene being all but forgotten memory to most, But most my inluences come them , keoki, ron core, thuderdome, then after traveling over seas to ibiza, amsterdam, germany, and uk sterbinsky, and paul oakenland, kai trancid most influece on my spinning.

My fav dj at moment is Markus schultz, his dark possesive melodies take over my Headset. I also enjoy yoji b, ferry cortsen go see him @ crobar nyc for his residency. Dont mind some of tiesto's sets

Fav producers hydroid, andy moore, david forbes,fredbaker, niklaus harding many more......

DJ Mile High Boy evovled from dancer to dj keep the glowsticks alive

geposted Sun 08 Jan 06 @ 5:30 pm
Inspiration,

The Zulus - Afrika Baambatta and Jazzy Jay. Especially seeing them live at the Zulu Nation Anniversaries and at Rock Steady Events in NYC. There's nothing better then seeing the founders of this craft live.

Others would include

Little Louie Vega and Masters at Work - Live for the Underground Network (Soundfactory Bar) in NYC.

Kool Herc - Creator of the Breakbeat - NYC Bronx River Projects

Ron G, Kid Capri, Premier - NYC (That Gangstarr Shit is the bomb!)

Larry Levan - Disco and House God - Paradise Garage in NYC

David Mancuso - The Loft - NYC

Danny Tenaglia - All his Tribal Tracks - NYC

The Executioners, Invisible Scratch Pickles and 5th Platoon - Turntablist from NYC and the Bay area.

Many more can be added to this list but all these Dj's have influenced the way I look at music and how it moves a crowd.

Respect to the Dj,
Cuidate!
Batibiri
Virtual Dj Radio Witness Protection Program

PS - Check out the "Scratch" documentary, really great video of some of the best Dj's in the world doing it live!

geposted Sun 08 Jan 06 @ 5:45 pm
bump

geposted Wed 18 Jan 06 @ 3:29 pm

(Alte Themen und Foren werden automatisch geschlossen)