Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Rackmount need HELP PLEASE! - Page: 1

Dieser Teil des Themas ist veraltet und kann veraltete oder falsche Informationen enthalten

Hey Djs, I need help with my setup. Its my CPU cabinet and the CRT monitor that bugs me... of course the specs are high end...just the casing is pretty "Not-DJ-Friendly"...Anyways for which i need help from guys with drooly setups like DJcyder's...
1. I want to rackmount my hardware. Can i shift the motherboard, video card, hdisks, etc to a rackmount case without buying one that already has all this?(i cant afford to buy all things again)?
2. How build a setup that will be easy to carry, also be easy to place at home when im just working on it?
3. Im in India and i cant ship stuff thats available at dj stores in uk, usa, cos its expensive.
4. So, can i builld one myself by just buying the right case, and lots of help from a nice DJout there who can share some ideas...
If it is more convinient for anyone to personally mail me then my email is at my blog.
Really looking forward for help from you guys...Thanks a Lot in advance.
Adi

geposted Sat 07 Jan 06 @ 10:04 am
1. You should be able to take your hardware inside your PC and fit it into a rackmount case, yes.
( http://www.mycableshop.com/2nd_Cat/CabinetRackmountCases.htm )

2. If you are going to be mobile, and carry stuff, the easiest way would be to make a flightcase where all your equipment are inside permanently ( http://springtree.net/grundcase/grundcase.html )

3. I dont know what available in India, but a flightcase you can infact make yourself. Its not that hard. Pretty basic handy-mans work, and "dress it" with a cloth ;)

4. Yes, if you buy the flightcase, its empty... and you "make it" yourself, by screwing all your equipment to the box. You should check what size your equipment is, and the box you would need for it. Most dj equipment are made for rackmounting, in other words they have same size (fit in a case)

and adding... If you are making a fligtcase like this, seriously consider to get a DAC controller for Virtual DJ. That would add a very good rackmount controller to the box

Hope that helps ;)

geposted Sat 07 Jan 06 @ 11:03 am
Yes thanks, that helps, but a few more questions now,
1. I have two hdds, nvdia 6600 card, atx motherboard, so what rackmount case should i go for? 1U, 2U, 3U, 4U? what does all this mean and how do i proceed?

2. I saw the links you provided, thanks a lot, but i dont know what are the various types of racks there... Club racks, Equip. Racks, etc, can you please shed more light here?

3. I want something very much like what cyder has:) but i cant buy new hardware, ie, i want to shift from my current case to whatever is suggested by you...

4. finally to break it down, I want something that will hold a mixer, controller, keyboard(hide-able),and the cpu cabinet(or rackmount) just like the other DJs have in their blog pics...

Waitin for more responses from you,
Thanks a lot,
adi

geposted Sat 07 Jan 06 @ 11:54 am
Check my blog for pics. You can have someone that is good at building with wood build one like the one in my blog and it shouldnt cost too much.

I recomend a 4u rackmount since that way you can use a standard power supply, which will give you tons of more options for power supplies. That way you can choose a really powerful one. Not like the crappy ones that come with rackmounts these days.

In my blog I have specs that I used as well as model numbers. There are links to the rackmount case I used as well. Good luck.

Killabee44

geposted Sat 07 Jan 06 @ 4:59 pm
Thanks a lot Kilabee44, Yes thats true, i noticed that too..and i have a antec 450w powersupply which i paid good money, i can use that... so a 4U means..that it will take 4 spaces in a dj rack?

geposted Sat 07 Jan 06 @ 6:35 pm
Saw the pics at yourblog kilabee, I want that! Im stealing it! heheh

geposted Sat 07 Jan 06 @ 6:38 pm
from the web: "1U is equal to 1.75 inches. For example, a rack designated as 20U, has 20 rack spaces for equipment and has 35 (20 x 1.75.) inches of vertical usable space" Hope that helps...

geposted Sat 07 Jan 06 @ 7:41 pm
ok that makes sense, thanks a lot. Lets just use this topic and close the other one by me..
anyways, How did you build the case? and wht material did you use?
You also said in the other post that the rackmount should not be more thn 19" deep... i dint completely get this, sorry but i cant picturise what you are saying cos i havent been able to see a rackmount closely... are you saying that the horizontal distance between the ends should be 19" when it is placed on a desk? What kinda rackmount should i go for to put in all my current hardware
(MB: MSI Neo4 Platinum SLI (nForce4)
CPU: AMD64 3200+
RAM:1024mb PC3200
GFX: nVidia 6600GT 128DDR3 PCI-E
SC: Soundblaster 24bit Live onboard. (Also, using Numark DXM01USB as Soundcard)
HDD: 2x SATA 80GB Samsung + 1x ATA 40GB Samsung = 200GB
Antec 450w PwrSupply
PLease kindly continue help...thanks!

geposted Sun 08 Jan 06 @ 6:03 am
i got it, 19'' deep means the depth, which means the height for a regular cabinet.
Anyways, about the case, if im to build one myself where do i start and what raw materials would i need?
Adi

geposted Sun 08 Jan 06 @ 2:27 pm
Ok, what I meant is that you dont want to get a rackmount that is 22" deep and will stick out of the back of your case. Then, the door in the back won't close.

I didn't build my case. I just purchased it already made. It is fiberglass and alluminum. I highly recomend it. The model number is in my blog. Sorry, but I am no good at building cases so can't help you there. Im sure there are others here that can.

The components you have will fit in a 4u rackmount with no problem. The model number for mine is in my blog. I chose it because it is not too deep (as I mentioned earlier). Most rackmounts that you will find will be too deep to fit in your case. They will be 19" wide horizontally, buy the depth might be too much on most models.

geposted Sun 08 Jan 06 @ 5:02 pm
Great Help...thanks alot kilabee44...
regards,
adi

geposted Mon 09 Jan 06 @ 10:16 am
Hey, most of my problems are solved, I'll be going to USA this month end, and im buying the case and the rack, gona get it back home with me...Yippeee!
regards,
adi

geposted Tue 10 Jan 06 @ 6:05 am
Good to hear. Make sure you post some pics after you set it up.

geposted Tue 10 Jan 06 @ 6:23 am
Sure, Hey, any idea on how to mount my 10"mixer(numark DXM01) on the rack? Im confused, but im sure thers a way... and also, where do i get the monitor stand that swiwels and folds like one you hav>
thanks

geposted Tue 10 Jan 06 @ 6:26 am
I'm not sure but Numark may offer Rack ears for that mixer. If not, you still have options; get a new mixer, or build the ears yourself. Check here for monitor mounts http://www.djrak.com/?

geposted Tue 10 Jan 06 @ 7:45 am
K thanks dude

geposted Tue 10 Jan 06 @ 9:20 am
OK, i found the ears, but i have a question, what about the headphone jack? Its at the front...

geposted Tue 10 Jan 06 @ 9:37 am
frd1963PRO InfinityMember since 2004
djaditya,

When you come to the US, where will you be staying? If near NYC, I can give you some good places to go to get deals and the case and other stuff. Heck, I can even go shopping with you if you want.

-Frd

geposted Tue 10 Jan 06 @ 7:00 pm
You will have to get a rack that has a opening in the front for that type of mixer. If you are bent on keping this mixer, you can always figure out a way to address this issue, re-routing the wire, or making an opening yourself. There are always options.

geposted Tue 10 Jan 06 @ 7:24 pm
Hey frd, Im kinda unsure aboutmy plans to buy the rack, but i will be visiting Boston, D.C, and maybe NY,..but notsure...
However, Im also planning to purchase cd players, Hows the denon DN D4500 for starters? Im really keen on tht...
Thanks a lot
adi

geposted Wed 11 Jan 06 @ 4:35 am
77%