Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Need Advice For First Dj Gig

Dieses Thema ist veraltet und kann veraltete oder falsche Informationen enthalten.

Ive been using vdj and hercules for almost 2 years and Ive knocked the blends and mashups down very well which ill primarily be doing for this party of about 50, theyre all teenagers. Im confident in my ability to mix live but what i really need help with is how and where to set everything up. I basically have a long table up near a well and Ill be right in front of the dancefloor basically. The person Im doing this for bought me a lighting kit to use but I have no experience with dj lighting or anything like that so thats the thing I need the most help with. She bought a fog machine, audio activated strobe, and a powerstar. The problem Im having is I cant mount anything on a wall or anything because its a restaurant that was rented out and I cant just go into their walls. So how do I go about setting this stuff up?

Ps: is there a way to become a registered member with the vdj or hercules that I bought? I didnt even have to put in a serial number when I installed the vdj that came with it. So how do I register it with the site?

geposted Mon 13 Nov 06 @ 7:07 pm
sbangsPRO InfinityMember since 2004
carter1551 wrote :
Ive been using vdj and hercules for almost 2 years and Ive knocked the blends and mashups down very well which ill primarily be doing for this party of about 50, theyre all teenagers. Im confident in my ability to mix live but what i really need help with is how and where to set everything up. I basically have a long table up near a well and Ill be right in front of the dancefloor basically. The person Im doing this for bought me a lighting kit to use but I have no experience with dj lighting or anything like that so thats the thing I need the most help with. She bought a fog machine, audio activated strobe, and a powerstar. The problem Im having is I cant mount anything on a wall or anything because its a restaurant that was rented out and I cant just go into their walls. So how do I go about setting this stuff up?

Ps: is there a way to become a registered member with the vdj or hercules that I bought? I didnt even have to put in a serial number when I installed the vdj that came with it. So how do I register it with the site?

which version of vdj do you have?

geposted Mon 13 Nov 06 @ 8:38 pm
socrossPRO InfinityMember since 2004
If you have speakers on stands, you can put them on top of the speakers. That's what I usually do. The main thing is to keep them above eye level, so they won't blind your dancers! I use the strobe only sparingly, as it is the most jarring. The powerstar seems like a good light to keep on, and the fog can get smelly if you use it too much. Have fun!

geposted Mon 13 Nov 06 @ 8:52 pm
Check with the venue, to make sure you can use a smoke machine. They might not even know which type of smoke detectors they have. You do not want the fire dept. to show up, they will not be happy. Ask me how I know. Most lights have 3 foot cords, so you will have to keep them close to you, or get extentions. Use a power strip with on and off switches to activate. If you place lights on top of speakers, they must be secured or the vibration will shake them off. If it's in your budget, rent a tripod and clamps to elevate the lights. Visit the venue to get some ideas on how you will set up. There may be some things in place already, to help you set up. Don't wait till the last minute.

geposted Mon 13 Nov 06 @ 11:08 pm
Ive been to the place and they really have no accomondations for dj's. Its basically a dining room at a resaurant where all the tables are being moved out and a dance floor is being brought it. I will be using floor standing speakers because its not a huge place and I really wont need anything super big. So putting the strobes and lights on top of them would put them at about waist level which could still be blinding. I really didnt want to use lights at all for this because I have no experience with lights but the girl insisted and she went and bought a party kit with all these lights.

geposted Tue 14 Nov 06 @ 7:28 pm
oh and I have like a really old version, whichever came with the hercules dj console mk1. i think its like 1.2 or something?

geposted Tue 14 Nov 06 @ 7:29 pm
The lights can set the mood. This way you can cut the house lights off, and give it a little atmosphere. You mean to tell me there is nothing on the wall or ceiling you can hang these lights from? Not one nail or screw, or some kind of bracket? Be creative, one hook with some string, a bungee tiedown, or duct tape will do for one night. The strobe light you will use every now and then, and the other light you may be able to leave on all night. It's not like you have a whole lot of options. Are the house lights on dimmers, do they have any colors? I believe if you register your ver, you will be able to upgrade at a discount. Then you will be able to get free updates. We are up to ver 4.1, which is so far ahead of what you have. We can now mix videos, the sound is so much better, and it now supports most soundcards and controllers. I am still worried about the smoke machine, but you can place that on the floor.

geposted Tue 14 Nov 06 @ 11:44 pm
i do a lot of mobile shows and i place my lights on the speakers, but also i have two boards cut out, one to go between my botton speakers and to go on top my tops and horns. I stace 2-15 warfdales on top of 2- 18 warfdales and my boards about 6 foot long or so but thats just an idea...and yea man u should definetly upgrade b/c the newer version isdown rite the Shi******* lol....but yea good luck if you need some help or somethin e-mail me....

geposted Wed 15 Nov 06 @ 12:16 am
all the house lights are on dimmers so it will already be pretty dark. ill look for places that i might be able to set the lights up, and as far as registering that is my problem. I wasnt really provided a serial nor did it ask for one when i installed the software and tried to run the program, thats why im asking how to register it because i dont see how i can.

geposted Wed 15 Nov 06 @ 6:33 am
the thing i would do about registering is go to help since you already have an account and send an e-mail to the company asking them what to do b/c i'm sure theirs a serial number and it may have beeen built in with the program so they could possibly look it up, if it says who its registered to when the screen comes up.

geposted Wed 15 Nov 06 @ 2:03 pm

(Alte Themen und Foren werden automatisch geschlossen)